Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2012, 10:01   #976
BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Hi,

I have applied for a fresh passport for my kids, one is around 5 years old and another 2 years. Please clear my doubts..

1. Is appointment necessary for submitting the application for minors?
2. Is it enough to carry the printout with the ARN and required documents?
3. Is it mandatory to have spouse name in passport?

When I called Toll free #, they suggested me taking prior appointment. As per the update here in their website c&p -

" Walk-in appointments with online Registration:
In order to facilitate submission of passport applications at Passport
Seva Kendras, some types of services such as ‘Tatkaal’ and issuance of Police Clearance Certificates and some categories of applicants such as senior citizens, minors and differently-abled persons are allowed to submit their duly registered online applications with ARN number as Walk-in applicants. Applicants falling under these categories are also required to register their applications online and obtain ARN number and visit the nearest Passport Seva Kendra at their convenience (no prior appointment required). In addition, applicants should also refer to any advisory issued by the concerned Passport Offices from time to time. "

Thanks,
Pradeep
Old 1st January 2013, 13:42   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raps View Post
Hi,

I have applied for a fresh passport for my kids, one is around 5 years old and another 2 years. Please clear my doubts..

1. Is appointment necessary for submitting the application for minors?
2. Is it enough to carry the printout with the ARN and required documents?

" Walk-in appointments with online Registration:
In order to facilitate submission of passport applications at Passport
Seva Kendras, some types of services such as ‘Tatkaal’ and issuance of Police Clearance Certificates and some categories of applicants such as senior citizens, minors and differently-abled persons are allowed to submit their duly registered online applications with ARN number as Walk-in applicants. Applicants falling under these categories are also required to register their applications online and obtain ARN number and visit the nearest Passport Seva Kendra at their convenience (no prior appointment required). In addition, applicants should also refer to any advisory issued by the concerned Passport Offices from time to time. "

Thanks,
Pradeep
Further updates on fresh Passport for minors which I submitted applications today morning.

Link about the walk-in
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...-extended.html

Reached Passport office today morning around 8.45am at Lalbagh PSK. We were asked to wait for the further updates.
9.30am - Counter opened and I submitted documents and got the token #.

1. ARN - printout of the document submitted online
2. Birth Certificate original + copy of the same
3. Parents Passport copies + original
4. Annexure-H duly signed by both the parents
5. No police verification needed

Either one of the parent to be present with the kid. It hardly takes 1 hour or so with proper documents.

Cheers,
Pradeep
Old 2nd January 2013, 14:26   #978
Senior - BHPian

Update on my experience with Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) on 31 December 2012.

My appointment was for 10 AM. When I reached the premises entrance, I saw there were two big lines (maybe 20 in each line) and a smaller one with 4 people in queue.
I discovered, that the first line is for those with appointment at 9:30 and the next one for 9:45 and then the third one was for 10:00. So, I patiently stood behind the last person standing there.
There was a slight delay in clearing of the first two lines (and by that time, two new lines had sprung up too).
There was security checking (separate cabin for ladies and a lady guard as well). One person was responsible to verify identity and appointment time. He would sign the appointment letter and then allow you inside.
By the time I got it, it was around 9:55.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was not expecting a lot of crowd inside, but was shocked to see the crowd in the hall inside.
There were four counters operational when I entered. The first two were for general public, the third for "senior citizens, infants with less than 1 year age and differently abled persons". The last one was for tatkal.

So, I got behind the last person in the first counter. There were about 15-20 people in front of me. The lady at the counter would verify all the documents and suggest what is missing very politely. Lot of people were sent back due to some missing documents.
When my turn came, there was one more lady who opened one more counter next to the first counter (lets call it counter zero). She checked my documents and said, there should be no problem since I have most of the stuff.
She sent my papers in a file to the last counter (which was supposed to be the Tatkal counter) and asked me to collect the token from there.
Now another person was sitting there for issuing tokens (which is nothing but a A4 sheet of paper with some details printed.)
I waited in a small queue next to the Tatkal queue for my name to be called out so that I can run forward and collect my token. There was hardly any space between the queue 3 and queue 4 lines. So, maybe we were in queue number "3.5".
Anyway, my name was called, I got the print out and a file in which all my necessary papers were put nicely attached via a thread.

This process took more than 1 hour and I was finally allowed to cross the barrier and get into the next stage.
But before I talk about the next stage , in the same hall, there is also a photocopier machine. I do not know how much they charge, but there was a small queue there as well.
So, while I was waiting for my token to be collected, I noticed that the queue from counters 1 and 2 was right upto the entrance. There was no space at all for new people to come into the hall. Plus the queue for photocopier was getting mixed with the counter lines. Overall, it was a noisy chaos.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As soon as I was allowed in the next stage, my token number N38 was called.
So, I just rushed through straight to the cubicle where my token was assigned. A young guy (perhaps fresh out of college) was sitting across the table. He immediately asked for my documents, started his scanning-copying etc, clicked the photograph, took finger prints, asked me to sign a few places and took the money.
I got the fee receipt from him and he asked me to proceed towards "B" counter.

I thought I was done with the difficult part, and I should be out in a few minutes.
But it wasn't going to be that way.
I was asked to wait in the waiting room from where I entered the A counter. The AC was cold and I was hungry. I picked up something small to eat from the inbuilt cafeteria assuming that my number would come up soon.
There is also a wash room and a child care room next to the cafeteria.

Now, this room had three TV screens with token numbers and counter numbers displayed on it. Basically, the moment there is a change to some counter, the token number is highlighted. You have to wait for your turn and do nothing else.
I was hoping that I would wind up by 12:30 and rush to Bandra for another appointment.
1:30 PM is lunch time, and I was tired of sitting at the same place.
So I grabbed another something to eat and changed my seat hoping it would bring some more luck.
I asked one coordinator if there was too much rush today. He mentioned that the rush is the same, but the B and C counter staff is less due to vacation.
There were perhaps 15 A counters and just 3 B counters and 2 C counters operational before lunch.
After around 45 minutes (2:15 PM) there was some action on B and C counters (as seen on the display screens). Suddenly there were more counters popping up and the progress seemed to be improving.

After some time, there were 5 B counters and 3 C counters.
By this time, the waiting area had run out of seats. People were standing. There were lots of babies, kids and lot of crying as well.
My number came and crossed the hall and entered the next hall. There were even more people waiting there (and no place to sit).
I went across to counter B5, showed my documents. The govt. officer checked something on the computer, asked for originals and then signed on one document.
Now, it was back to waiting time for counter C. So I came back to the waiting area and did what everyone was doing - wait.

Around 3:45 PM my token number came. So, I went out of the waiting area toward the other waiting area, where there is a signboard for C counters. Another govt. official was sitting there. I showed him the papers. He had some doubts so he consulted his colleague who was not very happy with him for some other reason.
I was a little scared when I saw the chemistry between these two guys.
Somehow everything in my case was OK and the guy kept the documents in a stack. I proceeded toward the exit. The security lady asked me to collect the acknowledgement letter. I took that printout after submitting my token A4 printout.
The lady then asked me to write a feedback. I wrote that and got out of the premises at 4 PM.
So, total time at premises: 6.5 hours.
Total time of interaction with all officials (combined): 30 minutes.
A counters: more than 15 (operated by Tata Consultancy Services)
B counters: 3 before lunch, 5 after lunch
C counters: 2 before lunch, 3 after lunch

Notes:
1. My token series was N. There were other series too such as T(tatkal), S, W and P.
2. Those who got token at 2:40 PM were assigned W 130, where as W 70 token was still waiting for number on B counter. I don't know if those entering so late would get a chance even at 6 PM.
3. Tatkal tokens seemed to have faster processing. It would have been worth the extra Rs. 500 just for this time saving.
4. It takes about Rs. 55 via auto from Andheri station.

Tips: Avoid vacation times for your appointment. If you are going with kids, then keep something with you which can keep them engaged. The mobile charging point in the waiting area did not work.
Carry some jacket or warm clothes. It is quite cold in the waiting area.

Last edited by S_U_N : 2nd January 2013 at 14:32.
Old 5th January 2013, 22:04   #979
Senior - BHPian

Update:
Got my passport delivered at my Mumbai residence this afternoon.
So, to summarize, I submitted documents on Monday at PSK and got the passport on Saturday at home.
I was expected to get an SMS when passport would be dispatched, but so far I have not got any SMS.
Old 8th January 2013, 15:08   #980
BHPian

Tried to book an appoint for 10th time today, clicked Submit sharp at 3pm but it didn;t happen. The page went blank at 3pm and asked to relogin and when I did, I think I missed the bus. Damn! :-(

Ooops, seems like I have been trying all wrong. The appointments for Bangalore open at 6pm and not 3pm like Mumbai.
https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in...detailNews.jsp

Last edited by benbsb29 : 9th January 2013 at 07:04. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post.
Old 8th January 2013, 15:50   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinr30 View Post
Ooops, seems like I have been trying all wrong. The appointments for Bangalore open at 6pm and not 3pm like Mumbai.
https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in...detailNews.jsp
Hey nitinr30, getting an online slot is a matter of luck. I have been able to get it after 2/3 times. Instead of that, you can also try getting manual appointment at RPO, Koramangala. Be there at 7-7 30 and you could be one of the first when it opens at 9 30. You get a manual slot for either Maratahalli or Lalbhag Road PSK. I found it much assured than online. You may have to wait but you definitely get the slot! Best of luck for trying online.
Old 9th January 2013, 04:09   #982
Senior - BHPian

Quick question guys,

is it mandatory to include your spouse name in passport form while renewing the passport ? or it individual choice ?

I dont have my marriage certificate and have to renew my passport due to expiry, so can i leave the spouse name column blank ?

please advise
Old 9th January 2013, 07:03   #983
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Quick question guys,

is it mandatory to include your spouse name in passport form while renewing the passport ? or it individual choice ?

I dont have my marriage certificate and have to renew my passport due to expiry, so can i leave the spouse name column blank ?

please advise
Spouse name addition in your passport is not a mandatory requirement. Its purely an individual choice. The advantage is that it simplifies having to show address proof documentation for your wife, where it is quite probable that your wife has a different address in her passport which was issued prior to your marriage.

Also, even if you choose to add the spouse name to your passport at a later stage, it would still mean a reissue of your passport. So, better to get all such changes done at one go.
Old 9th January 2013, 09:21   #984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quick question guys,

please advise

I agree with benbsb29. Why spend another Rs. 1500 later on to add your wife's name?
In my case,
1. We had a marriage certificate (not in English).
2. We got a translated version of the same from the notary with joint photograph.
3. We also carried wedding invitation card

Then we got my name added + name change after marriage + address change in my wife's passport.
That was a couple of years ago.
Now, 10 days ago, when I had to go for a re-issue due to expiry, I took the opportunity to get my wife's name included in my passport.

I got another affidavit done (total cost Rs. 120+ Rs 150) and took that along with:
1. wife's passport original + copy
2. marriage certificate original + copy
The passport officer was not sure about the format of the affidavit since it was not similar to the sample provided on their site.
But since I had wife's passport original + marriage certificate original, there was sufficient evidence and hence passport was granted.

Meanwhile, on 7 January, I got an SMS and an email stating that passport has been dispatched. My passport was received on 5th January itself.
Old 9th January 2013, 13:49   #985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quick question guys,

please advise
Knowing very well that you are married and have a spouse, it is illegal to mention that you are unmarried. This will be called as suppressing facts.

Don't do it.

All they ask is a marriage certificate, in case you donot have it, then an annexure is required signed by a notary (or someone authorized). No address proof of spouse is required (since its your passport and not hers). The annexure is available online too, check it out.

Its a one pager annexure, with all details one photograph of both of you together and duly signed. Get it signed at a court, lots of agents you will find there.

Its a very very simple document, with no proof other than your photograph with your spouse.

Don't skip it, for it can be held against you.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 9th January 2013 at 13:52.
Old 9th January 2013, 15:12   #986
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for suggestions, i will get this done
Old 13th January 2013, 21:23   #987
BHPian

I had applied for a tatkal passport application for my 3 year old son on Tuesday (Jan 8th) by availing a walk-in appointment at the Lalbagh RPO. I received the passport on Saturday (Jan 12th).
The documents my wife and myself had taken were:
1.The printout of the online filled form
2.annexure C, signed by both my wife and me
3.1 copy of his birth certificate
4.1 self attested copy of my passport and my wife’s passport (My name was endorsed in my wife’s passport and had the current address and my wife’s name was not endorsed in passport with my address being an address from New York)
5.1 year bank statement serving as my address proof (no add)
6.A copy of our marriage certificate, self attested by both of us
7.Copies of passport size photos of my son, taken against a white background (We needed only one)
We reached the RPO by 8.15 AM and joined the queue. At 9 AM, we were let in after informing that we were there for a walk-in appointment for a minor. We were made to wait in a room for about 15 minutes, before being frisked and let into another room, where we queued for taking an appointment (Please note that the first counter to the right is for the tatkal appointments). We were immediately sent to counter A. She checked our documents, scanned the documents and took my son’s fingerprints. We were soon sent to wait for counter B. Within 15 minutes, we cleared counters B and C and were out of the RPO by 10 M.
We received a message that the passport was shipped on Friday and we received it by Saturday lunch time.
Please note that paid parking is available in the basement .
Old 14th January 2013, 20:00   #988
Senior - BHPian

In the passport application form there are 2 questions:
Q1. Are you known by any other names (aliases) ?
Q2. Have you ever changed your name ?

My wife has changed her surname after our marriage.
So in her passport application form, she should write NO for Q1 and YES for Q2. Right ?

Rohan
Old 14th January 2013, 20:21   #989
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Are you a PR or EP holder? Either way they shouldn't have a problem entering Singapore. It's the annoying guys at Indian immigration that may cause an issue. Generally the 6 month validity rule is for short term visitors only.
Just an update - Got back to SG without any problem. Singapore ICA confirmed that she can enter even with a 1 month valid passport (since she is a PR). And immigration folks in Cochin also did not create any trouble.

Thank you

Note: When I was booking the tickets online, I had to mention the passport validity date as June-2014, as the ticketing system was not allowing any booking with less than 6 months validity.
Old 15th January 2013, 15:51   #990
BHPian

I just came back from Pune passport Seva Kendra.
i was denied token because i made a mistake by taking appointment in Normal quota while my passport re-issue application was for Tatkaal.
Just Take care of this point people.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks