Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2014, 22:49   #1516
Senior - BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Hi,

My passport will expire in July 2017 but since my booklet is full I need to renew.

Address in passport is same as Current address.

I got an appointment under Tatkal on Tuesday . The document requirement is quite confusing on Passport Seva portal for me

http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppO...eissuePassport

(1) If I consider my case as exhaustion of pages then I just need to carry a self attested copy of current passport.
In this case will they issue extension booklet till 2017 or will a get 10 year validity passport ?

(2) If I consider Validity Due to Expire condition then also I just need self attested copy.
However there is a subclause "Within one year before expiry of old passport"
which demands annexure I affidavit.

So should I get the affidavit done to get a 10 year validity passport or I need to necessarily renew in 2017 ?

PS : My passport was originally issued in 1997 for 20 years . Last got 60 page extension booklet in 2005. I have US visa till 2017 does this get carried over to new passport automatically ?

Just an information to people with 20 year passports, Contrary to popular wisdom I was never stopped by US immigration for 20 year validity passport my last US travel was in April 2014 so don't bother to reduce the validity to 10 years if you are blessed with passport valid for 20 years .

Last edited by amitk26 : 13th July 2014 at 22:51.
Old 14th July 2014, 08:21   #1517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Hi,

My passport will expire in July 2017 but since my booklet is full I need to renew.

Address in passport is same as Current address.

I got an appointment under Tatkal on Tuesday . The document requirement is quite confusing on Passport Seva portal for me

http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppO...eissuePassport

(1) If I consider my case as exhaustion of pages then I just need to carry a self attested copy of current passport.
In this case will they issue extension booklet till 2017 or will a get 10 year validity passport ?

(2) If I consider Validity Due to Expire condition then also I just need self attested copy.
However there is a subclause "Within one year before expiry of old passport"
which demands annexure I affidavit.

So should I get the affidavit done to get a 10 year validity passport or I need to necessarily renew in 2017 ?

PS : My passport was originally issued in 1997 for 20 years . Last got 60 page extension booklet in 2005. I have US visa till 2017 does this get carried over to new passport automatically ?

Just an information to people with 20 year passports, Contrary to popular wisdom I was never stopped by US immigration for 20 year validity passport my last US travel was in April 2014 so don't bother to reduce the validity to 10 years if you are blessed with passport valid for 20 years .
Hi Amit,
I was also in a similar situation last month. The problem with 20 year valid passports are that they are not machine readable. So most European countries do not accept it. It was also in the newspaper (do not know when) that the 20 year passports are valid only till 2015 end. So you will have to get a new passport. They will cancel your current passport and issue a new one. Your US visa is still valid, just make sure you carry the old passport with you when you travel to US. The passport is not valid but the visa is.

These are the documents you need to carry for tatkal passports:

1.] Self attested copy of you old passport. Better to carry 2 of them just in case.
2.] Annexure I (on non-judicial stamp paper). Got this on a Rs.20 Stamp paper.
3.] Annexure F : This is the verification certificate to be given by an IAS/IPS officer. Get 2 copies of this. You will also need 2 passport size photos to be used on the certificate. I have seen people not carrying this annexure and still get the passport, but they asked me for this.

You will get a new passport which will be valid for 10 years from the date od despatch of new passport).
Old 14th July 2014, 09:44   #1518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post

Hi Amit,
I was also in a similar situation last month. The problem with 20 year valid passports are that they are not machine readable. So most European countries do not accept it. It was also in the newspaper (do not know when) that the 20 year passports are valid only till 2015 end. So you will have to get a new passport. They will cancel your current passport and issue a new one. Your US visa is still valid, just make sure you carry the old passport with you when you travel to US. The passport is not valid but the visa is.

These are the documents you need to carry for tatkal passports:

1.] Self attested copy of you old passport. Better to carry 2 of them just in case.
2.] Annexure I (on non-judicial stamp paper). Got this on a Rs.20 Stamp paper.
3.] Annexure F : This is the verification certificate to be given by an IAS/IPS officer. Get 2 copies of this. You will also need 2 passport size photos to be used on the certificate. I have seen people not carrying this annexure and still get the passport, but they asked me for this.

You will get a new passport which will be valid for 10 years from the date od despatch of new passport).

Thanks for info.

However my main concern is if they will issue passport valid for 10 years pr just extension booklet till 2017 ?

I think I don't need annexure F as I have 3 out of 14 mandatory identification documents. Last time also for Tatkal I was not asked for Annex F.

About machine readable passport till date I was never stopped at immegration in Germany , France and Netherlands .
Old 14th July 2014, 10:11   #1519
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
However my main concern is if they will issue passport valid for 10 years pr just extension booklet till 2017 ?
I believe that when the passport is re-issued it would usually be for 10 years from current date, unless it is for a child where the passport is issued for 5 years, IIRC.
Old 14th July 2014, 10:39   #1520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You will get PP with 10 year validity if you apply for renewal for whatsover reason. (exhaustion of pages, addition/deletion of spouse name/change of address/damaged-mutilated-lost PP etc).

Make sure you carry your old PP whenever you travel to US.

Waseem.
Old 14th July 2014, 10:46   #1521
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for info.

I think I don't need annexure F as I have 3 out of 14 mandatory identification documents. Last time also for Tatkal I was not asked for Annex F.

About machine readable passport till date I was never stopped at immegration in Germany , France and Netherlands .
My friend (when he was traveling to Germany) was told to get a new passport next time. I talked to VFS before applying for my Spain visa and was told that they would not issue me a visa because of the passport. Hence I had to get a new passport. Your new passport will be valid till 2024. As far as I know, annexure F is for verification certificate (which might not be needed as you have exhausted your pages), but for renewal of passport you need it if you are going through tatkal. They will send the passport and then get the police verification done.
Old 14th July 2014, 14:09   #1522
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know if Annexure I ( affidavit ) was asked for passport renewal in case of exhaustion of pages ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I believe that when the passport is re-issued it would usually be for 10 years from current date, unless it is for a child where the passport is issued for 5 years, IIRC.
Thanks , Actually when I last renewed due to exhaustion of pages.
I got till the expiry date of Original passport ( 12 years) so was asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
You will get PP with 10 year validity if you apply for renewal for whatsover reason. (exhaustion of pages, addition/deletion of spouse name/change of address/damaged-mutilated-lost PP etc).

Make sure you carry your old PP whenever you travel to US.

Waseem.
Thanks this was useful , I can use the Visa on Old booklet with new passport.
Old 16th July 2014, 10:27   #1523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone know if Annexure I ( affidavit ) was asked for passport renewal in case of exhaustion of pages ?
OK here is an update it is not required if there is no address change and it is passport renewal due to exhaustion.
Only thing required is self attested passport copy ( first 2 and last 2 pages) and original passport.

I went to PSK as per my appointment yesterday , To be on safe side I got the Annexure I affidavit made on 20 Rs non judicial stamp paper and got it noterized at BDA complex.
The guy at token counter asked me for all the non-essentials such as Annexure I , Adhar , though I had these but just to test I argued that they are not required so why is he asking , Finally he issued me token and they were not asked at all by granting officer.

People who man the Token counter and document scanning counter A and B are TCS employees and Counter C is granting officer.

I had 2 appointments in past one week one for myself and one for my son and I found that Token Counter people just ask for unnecessary documents and this increases the hassles.
Old 24th July 2014, 18:18   #1524
Senior - BHPian

My son's passport will expire in November and we are planning to get it re-issued. He is just 5 years old at the moment.

Now, I filled up the application form and was just about to make payment but it seems I cannot select the appointment date any more. I remember that there was an option to do so last year when I applied for myself.

Can someone confirm? The PSK will be in Mumbai.

Type is Normal.
Old 25th July 2014, 19:34   #1525
BHPian

Can we apply for re-issue of passports directly in the Passport offices rather than online? I am asking because I have been unable to get an appointment by tatkaal, and Normal category gives me a date which is 6 weeks from now. My travel commitments cannot wait till then

The site says we can apply in a PDC but also says there is no PDC in Bangalore.

I was of the understanding one could walk into the Koramangala passport office, stand in a queue and get the work done. Is this not possible now?
Old 2nd August 2014, 01:19   #1526
BHPian

Need help

Background:
My sister held an independent passport as a minor which has long expired. Now we wanted to apply for a new passport for her as an adult but were confused whether it is a re-issue or fresh application since earlier passport was a minor one (heard different versions from different people). So called up the helpline and were told that since earlier passport was that of a minor, it can be done as a fresh application now. Accordingly applied for a fresh passport and got appointment.

At the RPO, the guy at counter C demanded for old passport which my sister was not carrying. He said since you hold a passport you should have furnished the details and got a copy & original passport too. Additionally since she was not carrying the old passport nor were details mentioned in application, was told that be fined INR 2000 as penalty since withheld information and also to get an affidavit made stating that we did not intend to hide the information about the passport.

Maybe should have phrased question, to helpline folks, better

Problem:
1) Any idea what is this affidavit format, could not find anything on passport site? Does it have to be on a stamp paper and of what value?
2) Since the application is of a fresh passport there is no provision to enter details of any passport held earlier, so should we be submitting a new application under re-issue category apart from affidavit and penalty or let the same application continue and supplement with affidavit?
3) Any other way out to deal with this scenario?

Anyone faced something similar in past or has any suggestions, would be most welcome.

Cheers
Old 2nd August 2014, 09:53   #1527
BHPian

Any idea how long it would take us to get the passport with this status?

Quote:
Police Report has been submitted by Commissioner Office, District Bangalore and action for passport printing is initiated, to be followed by lamination, signing, quality check and dispatch.
It has been this was for the past 15 days! Calls to their CC was pretty useless, they just read out the status and asked us to wait! No other information was provided.
Old 2nd August 2014, 10:21   #1528
BHPian

Police verification for re-issue of my passport was done on 19th July. Still in my account status shows 'pending for police verification'. Any idea how much time it takes to get passport after police verification in normal case?
Old 2nd August 2014, 13:55   #1529
Senior - BHPian

The police guys must have not submitted verification report.Go to the PS and ask them to do that at the earliest.
Old 10th August 2014, 15:39   #1530
BHPian

Do I need to add my spouse's name (we married recently) to the passport? If yes, do they give a new passport (both our PPs won't expire for atleast 8-9 years) or just update the last page with spouse name?

If not, can we travel abroad without issue?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks