Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2016, 20:27   #1906
Senior - BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

My Passport was issued at trivandrum, I'm currently in chennai, and I dont have a steady current address (changes every year) -
My parents still live in trivandrum at my permanent adress.

Which is better - getting it renewed in chennai vs trivandrum
Chennai - Pros - convenient, but have only 2 address proofs - HR letter or BSNL bill Cons: not sure if i can manage a police verification
Trivandrum - Pros - Have all Proofs and documentation in order, Cons: If they ask me to come at short notice, i may not be available

Last edited by greenhorn : 5th January 2016 at 20:41.
Old 5th January 2016, 20:29   #1907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
Is there any risk/challenge in getting a passport made at an address from which we may move in the future (maybe a few months / year) except that it would not work as an address proof going forward.
Technically one is supposed to keep address in passport updated. But yes, I've been in the situation when address in my passport was not updated one. I travelled to multiple countries on that passport without any hassle. I did not even have trouble getting a tourist visa.
Old 5th January 2016, 20:41   #1908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
My Passport was issued at trivandrum, I'm currently in chennai, and I dont have a steady current address (changes every year) - I can get an HR letter/BSNL bill, but that's it
Would getting my Passport renewed though the tvm passport office be the smoother option (considering police verification etc - I'm not sure I'd be able to handle it here in chennai) My permanent adress is tvm, where my parents live.

or would I be asked to come at short notice/would my prescence be required in tvm for the whole process?
For passport renewal, police verification is not necessary now. Refer this article, which mentions
Quote:
"For reissue of passports, police verification is not required, provided the first passport had been issued on the basis of clear police report," MoS for external affairs VK Singh told Lok Sabha
Old 5th January 2016, 21:31   #1909
Senior - BHPian

You would have to reapply for a change of address once you move house - that is a minor change and should be fairly straightforward. Please don't have a stale address in your passport if you can help it.
Old 6th January 2016, 15:52   #1910
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any risk/challenge in getting a passport made at an address from which we may move in the future (maybe a few months / year) except that it would not work as an address proof going forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You would have to reapply for a change of address once you move house - that is a minor change and should be fairly straightforward. Please don't have a stale address in your passport if you can help it.
Nil risk. Don't even bother about the hassle of updating address on passport. I have been in this situation many times and never had an issue. In fact, my current passport address is one I moved out of 5 years back. Have made at least 15-20 international trips in that time and never been questioned. In the mean time, rest of my family has renewed passports with my current address. So when we travel together, my passport has one address, while their passports have another. Still, never been questioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Chennai - Pros - convenient, but have only 2 address proofs - HR letter or BSNL bill Cons: not sure if i can manage a police verification
Trivandrum - Pros - Have all Proofs and documentation in order, Cons: If they ask me to come at short notice, i may not be available
Re. Chennai, can you please check if the address proof is sufficient using the document check list on the website. If I remember correctly, for using a phone bill, you need to have stayed at the address for 1 year. So they will ask you to produce a current bill as well as a 1-year old bill. Can you manage that?

Re. TVM, I am not sure who will ask you to come at short notice. The appointment with PSK is pre-scheduled, so unless you have a gap in the documentation, you should be able to finish on a single day, which is fixed well in advance as per your request. Once your procedure is completed at the PSK, you do not need to go back there. Also, if your passport is being re-issued in the same passport office, I don't think there is a need for police verification, though this is sometimes up to the whims and fancies of the authorities.
Old 6th January 2016, 16:37   #1911
BHPian

Hi All, I am getting my new home registered by this month and possession will take another 2 months to complete the furnishing and customization. Meanwhile is it possible to apply for renewal with my new address. I can show the registration documents for proof. I have a visa stamping which need renewed passport. My current passport will expire within 6 months.
Old 6th January 2016, 16:46   #1912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Meanwhile is it possible to apply for renewal with my new address. I can show the registration documents for proof. I have a visa stamping which need renewed passport. My current passport will expire within 6 months.
Nope!! Registration document is not a valid address proof listed in the passport website. You need to give the electricity bill as proof of address.

Another thing is if you have been living in the present address under 6 months, you need to give proof of address of previous place of stay. Then there will be police verification done under two jurisdictions, which will delay the renewal.

If you are living in the current address for more than 6 months, then give that as proof and your passport will be renewed without any police verification.
Old 6th January 2016, 16:51   #1913
BHPian

Thanks for the quick response
If i go for an address change later, will i get a new passport?
Old 6th January 2016, 16:53   #1914
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any risk/challenge in getting a passport made at an address from which we may move in the future (maybe a few months / year)
No other issues apart from the fact that you may have to change the address in passport later which is almost equally troublesome.
Old 6th January 2016, 17:02   #1915
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response
If i go for an address change later, will i get a new passport?
Yes, you will get a new passport. Honestly, I was having the same question and one of the members responded that there is no risk of having an old address in your passport.
If your existing passport has valid Visas, it is too much of a headache if you need to get it transferred to another passport.
Old 6th January 2016, 18:01   #1916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Nil risk. Don't even bother about the hassle of updating address on passport.
If only because a passport is one of those universally accepted proofs of address, in a lot of situations where you have to send copies of your ID for kyc or other purposes.

Works great especially for renewing your new passport. If you have a permanent address available and stick to that address across two passports, say - your next passports will be fast and hassle free in terms of issue.
Old 6th January 2016, 18:19   #1917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Works great especially for renewing your new passport. If you have a permanent address available and stick to that address across two passports, say - your next passports will be fast and hassle free in terms of issue.
The original question was: whether there is a requirement to go through a follow up process to change the address on the passport, if you happen to change residence. I was only saying that there is no need for that. I agree with you that, if you have an old address on the passport, you cannot use it as address proof. But we still have phone bill, bank statement, Aadhar, etc as documents that can be used for address proof. So having a passport with the updated address is not a necessity.

In my case, I do not have any permanent address, so I just stick to whichever place I am currently staying.
Old 6th January 2016, 18:37   #1918
BHPian

Thanks All for the response. I will get a visa in the renewed passport. So as mentioned above if i go for an address change then i need to get visa transferred to new passport. My current address in passport is from native. Renewing it from native address seems to be the best option then. Which will have less verification process.
Old 6th January 2016, 18:50   #1919
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks All for the response. I will get a visa in the renewed passport. So as mentioned above if i go for an address change then i need to get visa transferred to new passport. My current address in passport is from native. Renewing it from native address seems to be the best option then. Which will have less verification process.
Visas stay on the passport they're stamped on, even when the passport expires.

E.g. I got my passport renewed early last year, but my US Visa stamped in the expired passport is valid for another 8 years. That means I'll have to carry both my passports (old and renewed) whenever I travel to the US. On a visit in mid 2015, the Immigration folks at Boston stamped my entry on the (expired) passport itself that had the Visa. When I asked if it was OK, they said the Visa's validity takes precedence for them. My passport's validity is my home government's problem.
Old 6th January 2016, 18:53   #1920
Senior - BHPian

Asking for a friend.

He has a passport with Bangalore home address. He needs to get the address changed for his wife and a new passport for his daughter. Can he apply for his wife and daughter in the same slot?

Most Viewed