Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2016, 18:56   #1921
BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Thanks All for the response. I will get a visa in the renewed passport. So as mentioned above if i go for an address change then i need to get visa transferred to new passport. My current address in passport is from native. Renewing it from native address seems to be the best option then. Which will have less verification process.
Just to be clear...if you have a visa with a validity beyond the passport, this visa NEED NOT be transferred to the new passport. Your old passport is returned to you and you can staple the old and new passports together. Valid Visa on expired passport along with a new valid passport is acceptable as long as both passports are presented together. You need not transfer your visa later.
Old 6th January 2016, 19:23   #1922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Asking for a friend.

He has a passport with Bangalore home address. He needs to get the address changed for his wife and a new passport for his daughter. Can he apply for his wife and daughter in the same slot?
Yes sir.He can do that if he has his wife's name endorsed in his PP or vice versa.

Waseem.....
Old 6th January 2016, 19:40   #1923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Just to be clear...if you have a visa with a validity beyond the passport, this visa NEED NOT be transferred to the new passport. Your old passport is returned to you and you can staple the old and new passports together. Valid Visa on expired passport along with a new valid passport is acceptable as long as both passports are presented together. You need not transfer your visa later.
It depends. For example malaysia explicitly says that the visa remains valid only as long as the passport remains valid.

Do check the visa rules for whatever country you hold valid visas for, if you get a new passport. Getting deported because of a strange rule like this can be a nasty surprise, and as you say for most countries you don't need to endorse your visa onto a new passport.

http://www.kln.gov.my/web/ind_chennai/faqs

Quote:
Is the Malaysian visa in the old / cancelled passport remains valid with the new booklet?

Malaysian visa is remaining valid if the passport remains valid (according to the passport number). Therefore if your old passport get cancelled and you are issued with new passport, you are required to apply for Malaysian visa.

Last edited by hserus : 6th January 2016 at 19:40. Reason: fix quote
Old 6th January 2016, 19:51   #1924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
It depends. For example malaysia explicitly says that the visa remains valid only as long as the passport remains valid.
Thank you for this. I was not aware of the Malaysia situation.
Old 6th January 2016, 20:50   #1925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Asking for a friend.

He has a passport with Bangalore home address. He needs to get the address changed for his wife and a new passport for his daughter. Can he apply for his wife and daughter in the same slot?
A friend of mine had a similar case and it turned to be easier and, of course, quicker doing it in one shot. He was suggested so by his company travel desk so he took the chance and he was positively surprised.
Old 6th January 2016, 21:25   #1926
BHPian

Thank You: Passport Renewal Procedure

Thank you mates for replying to my query.

Quote:
You would have to reapply for a change of address once you move house - that is a minor change and should be fairly straightforward. Please don't have a stale address in your passport if you can help it.
Yes, ideally I would want to get the address updated once I shift residence but then since I would move to another rented accommodation, I would not be too keen to get it updated to a new "temporary address" till we move to something permanent (God willing and property prices permitting :-P)

Quote:
Nil risk. Don't even bother about the hassle of updating address on passport. I have been in this situation many times and never had an issue. In fact, my current passport address is one I moved out of 5 years back. Have made at least 15-20 international trips in that time and never been questioned.
Thought so too, but good to have a confirmation of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
No other issues apart from the fact that you may have to change the address in passport later which is almost equally troublesome.
Yes, I should but even if I choose not to, it should not cause any problems I understand, apart from passport being redundant as an address proof.

Quote:
The original question was: whether there is a requirement to go through a follow up process to change the address on the passport, if you happen to change residence. I was only saying that there is no need for that. I agree with you that, if you have an old address on the passport, you cannot use it as address proof. But we still have phone bill, bank statement, Aadhar, etc as documents that can be used for address proof. So having a passport with the updated address is not a necessity.

In my case, I do not have any permanent address, so I just stick to whichever place I am currently staying.
I too was thinking on similar lines. Thanks for the confirmation.

Cheers,
S
Old 14th January 2016, 11:31   #1927
Senior - BHPian

My mom's passport expired back in 1992. Had applied for Re-issue of passport as mentioned in Passport Seva Website. Passport Seva Website clearly mentioned that one should select "Reissue" of passport if the person ever held a passport, however old it is.

Mom's old passport had Ahmedabad Address and this time the address is of Vadodara where from I am chipping in.

Now, today I have received an email notification that Police Verification has been initiated and application forwarded to Vadodara SP office.

My question is : Was Police Verification not removed for Re-issue of passport ?

Is anybody aware what the exact procedure is ? Do I need to follow up with Police Station ?
Old 14th January 2016, 11:46   #1928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
My mom's passport expired back in 1992. Had applied for Re-issue of passport as mentioned in Passport Seva Website. Passport Seva Website clearly mentioned that one should select "Reissue" of passport if the person ever held a passport, however old it is.

Mom's old passport had Ahmedabad Address and this time the address is of Vadodara where from I am chipping in.

Now, today I have received an email notification that Police Verification has been initiated and application forwarded to Vadodara SP office.

Is anybody aware what the exact procedure is ? Do I need to follow up with Police Station ?
Hi,

My Passport expired in 2015 Feb. I applied for reissue of passport on 6th Jan this year and got it delivered on 9th. My passport was issued on Post police verification basis which means police verification will be done after issue of passport. I also received E mail as well as sms from Passport seva that verification has been initiated.

Probably the removal of requirement for police verification (for reissue) was in case the adress is same as the old passport.
Old 14th January 2016, 12:10   #1929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

Police verification is done on a case by case basis (not sure of the exact parameters considered). My wife and I had gone in for reissue of passport and while I got my new passport without any police verification, my wife had to go through it.

Typically if there is any new information in the reissued passport, Police verification is done again. So since the address is new here, it will have to be done.

Nothing major to be done. Visit the police station with all the documents submitted for the passport. The officer doing verification will just go through all the documents once, in this case the address proof.

Do visit the mentioned Police station and get the verification done. We missed it the first time and a show cause notice appeared. We then had to reapply for verification and now all is clear.

Last edited by luvDriving : 14th January 2016 at 12:13. Reason: Added procedure information.
Old 14th January 2016, 13:00   #1930
BHPian

Agree with above. The same happened to my wife's reissue of passport. She applied for passport on 6-Jan which went for printing and was dispatched the same day. We got the passport delivered on 8-Jan and on the same day she got a message saying Police Verification has been initiated. I feel it was done as
1. There was a change in address
2. Addition of my name as spouse.
Old 14th January 2016, 13:47   #1931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
She applied for passport on 6-Jan which went for printing and was dispatched the same day. We got the passport delivered on 8-Jan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I applied for reissue of passport on 6th Jan this year and got it delivered on 9th.
Has passport renewal speedened up considerably these days, or are you guys applying tatkal?
Old 14th January 2016, 14:01   #1932
BHPian

I guess reissue of passports has been made faster due to parallel processing of Police Verification. On the other hand, we had to go to my son's passport on Monday (11-Jan) which was put on hold as it was awaiting his mom's passport. It had been given for printing only the next day and has been delayed now to holidays in TamilNadu. Expecting it to be delivered only on Monday.
Old 14th January 2016, 14:06   #1933
Senior - BHPian

My passport was due to expire in July this year. Since I was in India for year-end holidays, planned to get my passport renewed as well.

Overall, had a very pleasant experience. I am from Cochin and there are two PSKs in Cochin - Aluva and Thripunithura. I chose Aluva. It was quite easy to get a Tatkal appointment for the next morning. Total charges came to 4000/- (including Tatkal charges + 60 page passport), out of which 2000/- had to be paid while making the reservation.

I downloaded the application form and filled it offline. Uploaded the csv file back while taking the appointment. There was one question though which managed to confuse me. While filling the address details, there is a question ''Are you currently living out of India?''. Since I have been living out of India for over a year now, I filled in yes, and I gave my address in Japan as the temporary address, along with my Cochin address (same as in old passport) as the permanent address.

Before uploading the application form, I called up a contact at the main passport office in Cochin who said what I did was ok. Just to reconfirm, I called up the passport helpline number and the person there said I should have mentioned 'no' (for living out of India) and just give my address in India.

Since the website clearly mentions that any attempts to hide correct info will be heavily penalized / prosecuted etc, I decide to state the facts.

Once I got my form verified from the TCS chap sitting at the first counter, he said I need not have filled the temporary address abroad. Anyway, it did not matter as they could later edit it.

After that, I had to visit 3 counters A, B and C. At the A counter, all the documents were verified (I just gave my Aadhaar as an additional address proof, though I think it is not really required in case of no address change), photograph taken, and remaining payment of 2000/- taken. Also, the lady reconfirmed the data in every field with me and corrected the address details. Moreover, once she was sure she could issue a fresh passport, she put the 'Cancelled' stamps on the old passport and handed it over back to me.

Overall, the experience was extremely good and the staff were very courteous. I had my appointment at 10 a.m. on 31st Dec, 2015 and received my new passport at 10 a.m. on 1st Jan, 2016 at my home. I had also paid an extra 40/- for the SMS seva and got several sms as my application was processed, my passport was printed and dispatched.

Since this came soon after a disastrous travel experience with Air India (with our baby stroller still untraceable), it was a refreshingly good and super efficient experience with a government agency in our country.
Old 14th January 2016, 14:52   #1934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Yes sir.He can do that if he has his wife's name endorsed in his PP or vice versa.

Waseem.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsnh View Post
A friend of mine had a similar case and it turned to be easier and, of course, quicker doing it in one shot. He was suggested so by his company travel desk so he took the chance and he was positively surprised.
Thanks for the info.
Old 15th January 2016, 11:17   #1935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Request your guidance on my spouse's and my passport renewal.
My wife's passport - Expired in October 2015
My passport - Expires in November 2016, but I want to get it renewed in January 2016 (as I am visiting my hometown during this period) since I won't be able to travel starting March 2016 (6 months' ceiling)
Quote:
Anyway - As your passport / aadhaar / voter ID are all in Baroda, I would suggest that you try to get your passport there itself. That will mean traveling to baroda and being there for some amount of time so you are around for the police verification.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
Not sure if my inputs are relevant now considering that your wife may have already submitted the application.
All the best and let us know your experience.
Hello! Firstly, thanks for your inputs!

My wife went ahead with her scheduled appointment on the 23rd of Dec 2015. As mentioned earlier, she had 2 changes to make in her renewed passport -

1) Add spouse's name
2) Change her address

Her appointment was scheduled at 14:30 hrs and she was done by 15:45 hrs.

She had expired visas for some of the European countries and an active Singapore Visa (which I had already asked her to remove since it's just an A4 size paper). At the last window she was only asked about when did she visit these countries - that's it!

In the evening when I checked the status, it said "Your application has been accepted with no police verification", which changed to "Passport printed and will be dispatched shortly" 2 days later.

Her passport was delivered to the new address on the 29th. She was not present at the house at that time, but had given an authority letter to my dad and her original Aadhar card just in case! The post man came and handed it over, no questions asked!

All in all, a good experience. And more importantly, something which has given me the confidence to get my passport renewed at my home town, and not in Bangalore.

I have the following supporting proofs to back up my home address -

1) Current passport, scheduled to expire in Nov 2016
2) Voter-id card
3) Aadhar card
4) State Bank of India passbook

As mentioned in my post earlier, I have a valid B1/B2 Visa on my current passport, valid till 2017, and the passport expires in Nov 2016. So, I can't travel on my passport after March 2016 (6 months' ceiling)

Since I am already traveling to my hometown in Jan 3rd week, I plan to do the renewal there itself. I have a stay planned for 18 days, and I believe that's enough to get the renewal done.

If there is anything you guys would like to point out - your suggestions are welcome!

Thank you!

Most Viewed