Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2016, 18:59   #1966
BHPian

I have a query. My Passport is due to expire in December this year. If I apply for a new passport now what happens to the existing copy?
Also if I get a visa stamped on my present passport and then I go for renewal, will I get the old copy back?
Old 15th February 2016, 19:38   #1967
Team-BHP Support

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
I have a query. My Passport is due to expire in December this year. If I apply for a new passport now what happens to the existing copy?
Existing passport will be stamped 'Canceled' and returned to you once your application for the new one is accepted.

Quote:
Also if I get a visa stamped on my present passport and then I go for renewal, will I get the old copy back?
Your old passport will be returned to you, but Visa validity varies by country. E.g. US visa validity is independent of passport validity, some others are valid only with the passport they're stamped in. Check individual country immigration websites for specifics.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th February 2016 at 19:40.
Old 15th February 2016, 20:47   #1968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

Existing passport will be stamped 'Canceled' and returned to you once your application for the new one is accepted.
Thanks, one more query. Once the end existing passport is cancelled, when will the validity of the new passport start?
Old 15th February 2016, 21:15   #1969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Please see this discussion thread for Canada visa validity. Though I agree with noopster that you do not need to add your wife's name to the passport at the moment.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3890881
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
That's a sweeping statement! I know from the discussion quoted above that Canada doesn't accept visas in expired passports. From what I remember neither does Singapore. Better to check case by case.
Here you go sir.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-imm...-t39327.0.html.

Waseem.....
Old 15th February 2016, 23:11   #1970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post

Unfortunately the quoted thread is 6 years old. Things may have changed since then. As another BHPian has mentioned, Canadian embassy told him that visa will not be valid. I do not personally have any experience in this matter so would prefer not to comment. Better to check up directly with the relevant authorities if the situation arises.
Old 16th February 2016, 07:53   #1971
BHPian

Just got my Passport renewed from the PSK (Passport Seva Kendra) in Trivandrum and it was lightning fast. Applied online, took and appointment for noon on a Thursday, and got the Passport delivered home by Friday evening! That's just over 24 hours.

Was pleasantly surprised with the pace at which it was done. A big thumbs up to the new streamlined process!
Old 16th February 2016, 13:35   #1972
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks, one more query. Once the end existing passport is cancelled, when will the validity of the new passport start?
The date your Passport application is accepted counts as the 'Issued Date'.
Old 16th February 2016, 21:37   #1973
BHPian

A show cause notice was issued on my application a week back, and still hasn't found its way to me. (I live in Mumbai and applied at Andheri PSK).

Is there anything I can do to make things go faster? What if the notice is somehow lost in mail?
Old 17th February 2016, 11:22   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
A show cause notice was issued on my application a week back, and still hasn't found its way to me. (I live in Mumbai and applied at Andheri PSK).

Is there anything I can do to make things go faster? What if the notice is somehow lost in mail?
The Notice may be been affected by the usual Postal delays, or the Postman forgetting to Leave a Intimation at your address, in case the Postman visited in your absence at your address.

The Best option would be to visit the Passport Portal, and Raise a Request in the Grievance window, with your PP number or the File Number.

A Grievance reference number would be generated , and the further process would be indicated to you on the Grievance number.

Also you may say in your grievance that the Post hasn't reached you.

Dont delay any further, as it may entail serious consequences if the PassPort dept proceeds aganst you saying that you have furnished False Info and obtained the Passport, etc.

All the Best!
Old 18th February 2016, 16:49   #1975
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod Note: There is a dedicated thread for passport applications for minors/infants. Some recent posts have been moved there. Please use this thread for generic passport queries. Thanks!
Old 19th February 2016, 14:17   #1976
BHPian

Quote:
The old passport is cancelled and given back to you. Not sure any visa on that carries any weight.

I have another query.

I recently renewed my passport as I had to add my spouse name and get passport for my infant. Now I was just checking to see how to get a PCC (for VISA purposes). I get this message when I log in to my account:

You have registered under RPO Ranchi but your present residential address lies within the jurisdiction of RPO Bengaluru. The registration and present residential address should be with the same RPO.

What can we do? The permanent address on my passport is from Ranchi and present address is Bangalore. This is not urgent but I need to know what to do in such a case. And generally how much time will this take?

Also, mighty impressed with the PSK in Ranchi - All of us who applied (wife, infant and I) got our passport delivered in less than 7 days flat (And I did not apply for tatkal)

Last edited by pratyush6 : 19th February 2016 at 14:18. Reason: Adding Comments
Old 19th February 2016, 16:50   #1977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Since I am already traveling to my hometown in Jan 3rd week, I plan to do the renewal there itself. I have a stay planned for 18 days, and I believe that's enough to get the renewal done.
Hello Members!

Just wanted to update you that I was able to renew my passport with my permanent address endorsed.

Received the passport in 5 working days!

No police verification since it was a renewal.

My earlier post on this thread can be found at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3891229

Wanted to share a similar requirement of my colleague, but a different outcome -

He was born in Sharjah and therefore didn't have any record here w.r.t. his passport.

When the time came for renewal, he wanted his permanent address in Kerala to be endorsed on it - he is currently working in Bangalore since 6 years and stays at a rented accomodation.

Applied for the passport and received within a week, with desired address.

Since he had no previous record, he was called to the Police station for verification, which went well. Next day, the inspector came to his house, and verified the details - which went well as well!

On the way back, the inspector thought of stopping at a nearby market to inquire. He got to know that this guy works in Bangalore and visits hometown only once a month

My friend was called to the Police station next day and he accepted what the inspector challenged him with. The inspector said "I understand your logic, but am bound by rules and hence, cannot clear your application".

My friend's dad new the region's SP, and they approached him. He said he didn't have any issue if my friend got the passport with Kerala address on it, but he won't force the inspector to clear the file.

The inspector was approached once again - he didn't budge.

My friend had to go to Calicut to pay a fine of INR 5000/- and shall now apply for a passport in Bangalore.

Though I was sad that my friend's passport will now cost him at least INR 8000/-, but I was glad for the following -

1) The inspector did his duty, and at the same time didn't try to exploit situation / demand money. The SP didn't put unnecessary pressure on the inspector.

2) My friend didn't try to bribe him.

What I got to know - if you already have a record w.r.t. the passport, there won't be police verification heading your way again during renewal, provided you are able to provide accurate proofs (I submitted old passport, Aadhar card, voter id, PAN). There might be exceptions, but this more sort of a norm at the moment.

Thank you for reading!
Old 23rd February 2016, 13:28   #1978
Senior - BHPian

My wife has an appointment next week for re-issue of her passport along with some other changes (written below). With reference to this, the document advisor on the passport website had shown "attested copies" instead of explicitly saying "self-attested copies" for a couple of documents.

So, to clear my confusion, I logged a query on their website and got a call back literally within 5 minutes, the upshot of which was:

Copies of all supporting documents submitted for minor's passport, passport re-issue, change of address, change of given name & surname after marriage, addition of spouse's name should be self-attested only. Attestation by a notary or class I officer is not required.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 23rd February 2016 at 13:35.
Old 23rd February 2016, 18:23   #1979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
My wife has an appointment next week for re-issue of her passport along with some other changes (written below). With reference to this, the document advisor on the passport website had shown "attested copies" instead of explicitly saying "self-attested copies" for a couple of documents.
One thing that baffles me is what is the need for self-attested copies?
How is me putting a signature on a document going to make it any more legal/valid than it already is?
But then sarkari babus and their sarkari rules, what can we do about it!
Old 23rd February 2016, 18:31   #1980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
One thing that baffles me is what is the need for self-attested copies?
How is me putting a signature on a document going to make it any more legal/valid than it already is?
But then sarkari babus and their sarkari rules, what can we do about it!
Ensures that the photocopies cannot be tampered with or replaced after submission and, in case there is a dispute later, they will be able to hold the applicant responsible for what he has submitted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks