Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2016, 10:24   #2086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
My apologies, wife's acknowledgment shows status 'sent to passport office for processing', but she's already received 'police verification initiated' SMS. I'll drop by the station tomorrow to check and request to expedite.

With new procedure, your passport will get printed and get delivered to your address irrespective of your PCC. I recently renewed my passport, and I received it before my police verification ( yeah despite of renewal, mine application was selected for Police verification).
Old 1st October 2016, 11:06   #2087
Team-BHP Support

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Wheels in motion.

Met the chap at local police station. He says they'll download new files later today. Asked me to SMS him file# and call him Monday.

I'm expecting this to be done sometime early next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nit787 View Post
With new procedure, your passport will get printed and get delivered to your address irrespective of your PCC. I recently renewed my passport, and I received it before my police verification ( yeah despite of renewal, mine application was selected for Police verification).
Hers is not a renewal so I guess pre-verification is the way to go, but I renewed my own last year and was tagged for post-verification too.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st October 2016 at 11:09.
Old 1st October 2016, 11:53   #2088
BHPian

My friend received a text message asking him to contact the police with the File #. I guess everything is going to fine. Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 3rd October 2016, 12:11   #2089
Senior - BHPian

I have a passport renewal query, for a friend.

She works out of Bangalore but is a resident of Bombay. How easy or not is it for her to do the renewal process in Bangalore? The passport that is about to expire is registered to her Bombay address.

In terms of address proof, for her new passport, is it enough if she gets a letter from HR and carry Bank Statements? What other documents are to be carried?

She just moved to a new rented apartment so has little else in terms of long term address proof in Bangalore.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 3rd October 2016 at 12:17.
Old 3rd October 2016, 15:19   #2090
Senior - BHPian

If bombay is her permanent address and she intends to relocate there in two or three years, it will make no sense for her to use her Bangalore address though that is technically necessary. If she needs address proof in Bangalore, a BSNL postpaid connection or landline bill showing the Bangalore address, and maybe also her registered rent agreement will be fine. Letter from HR won't be required.

ID and Address proof for a renewed passport can be figured out based on the wizard at passportindia.gov.in - please use that and it is a clear and straightforward process.
Old 3rd October 2016, 17:51   #2091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
In terms of address proof, for her new passport, is it enough if she gets a letter from HR and carry Bank Statements? What other documents are to be carried?
In my experience, the only government ID that accepts your company letter as proof of address is the passport. I had used my company letter to change the address on my passport and then use it for all my other bank, credit card etc to change address. the one stupid thing I did when I visited the passport office was to forget my ID card at home .
Old 4th October 2016, 07:29   #2092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If she needs address proof in Bangalore, a BSNL postpaid connection or landline bill showing the Bangalore address, and maybe also her registered rent agreement will be fine. ID and Address proof for a renewed passport can be figured out based on the wizard at passportindia.gov.in
She does not have a bsnl mobile connection or a land line. There is a rent agreement. Problem is, she just moved in to a new apartment. The passport folks do ask for how long you have been staying at the registered address. This might be a hurdle?

Looked around for this wizard and all I could find was this;
http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppO...eissuePassport

Are you referring to the same link?
Old 4th October 2016, 09:18   #2093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
She does not have a bsnl mobile connection or a land line. There is a rent agreement. Problem is, she just moved in to a new apartment. The passport folks do ask for how long you have been staying at the registered address. This might be a hurdle?

Looked around for this wizard and all I could find was this;
http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppO...eissuePassport

Are you referring to the same link?
That is the link yes. As the faq says -

Quote:
Applicants are required to submit the proof of address of the present address only, irrespective of the date from which he/she has been residing at the given address. However, he/she is required to mention all the places of stay during previous one year (from the date of application filling) in the Passport application form.
Essentially previous address proofs may also be required and verified and usually, for new residents there will be a police verification.
Old 5th October 2016, 15:56   #2094
Team-BHP Support

A minor but pleasant experience to share.

I visited the local PS where my wife's verification is tagged to request a quick turnaround. The guy initially committed Monday but could only visit yesterday due to his boss sending him on other errands.

When he did come, he came equipped with a 10-inch tablet with dedicated PSK software, which he used to process all verification requirements. Wife only had to get a picture clicked and sign a couple of paper forms (that they file locally I presume), which he then scanned an uploaded on-the-spot.

The entire process took less than 10 mins; well-spoken, tech savvy chap and not a hint for a bribe.

Wife got update from PSK for clear report today, shouldn't take too long for passport to be printed and dispatched.

Just reaffirms that it's the mindset of people involved in, not the bureaucracy itself, that makes citizens' lives miserable (or otherwise).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th October 2016 at 15:58.
Old 5th October 2016, 18:25   #2095
Senior - BHPian

I recently renewed my passport and the experience was pretty good. Mine was a renewal with absolutely no changes to my personal particulars.

I had an appointment for 4 pm one fine Monday afternoon.
Reached passport office, PSK Pune at 3.30 PM. Plenty of parking on vacant plots adjacent to the actual office available. A security staff person at the gates checked my appointment acknowledgment to confirm the appointment time and let me in.
The interiors had a short queue for the pre-verification of documents. The lady at the counter checked mine and generated a token number and asked me to head towards the waiting area for Counter A. It was a five minute wait before I found myself seated opposite another lady, who again checked all my documents, and proceeded to scan and upload the copies. Only 3 were taken , my old passport, electricity bill and aadhar card. My fingerprints and photographs were taken (why do they ask me to remove my spectacles ? I ended up looking like a fat and confused goon in the pic.).
All documents in order, she asked me to fill up a feedback form and printed a cover sheet which she attached to my documents. That done , I headed towards counter B , which had another 10 minute wait. This is the government section ,and they have ushers to yell out your token number incase you fail to notice it on the display screens. I had my docs verified here in under 2 minutes, and even before I headed out, I heard my name being called out for Counter C. The lady their asked me my name, and seemed pissed off about something or someone. She didnt take any time either. I was out of there again in under 2 minutes, to the acknowledgment counter, where they hand you a receipt with a file number.
Whole process from parking till heading out again took less than 45 minutes in my case. By 4.30 PM , I received an SMS stating that my passport had been granted, with a post-verification rider.
Same day, by 6 PM , I even received an SMS that my passport had been printed and will be dispatched soon. Less than 48 hours after application, the passport had been delivered to my residence.
About a week later, I received an SMS asking me to complete police verification at the nearby station. It appears that the verification is at the Passport Officer's discretion ,for most cases like mine it is not needed.
The verification itself was very clean and straightforward, with the officer entering all my details on his computer from a form that I had hand-filled at the spot, and printed a receipt and called me back after an hour for photo attestation. A senior cop then signed my application along with a long line of other people, and I received an SMS the next day saying my police report was clear!
I really dont see the point now for Tatkaal passport renewals, given how fast the normal process works.
Old 8th October 2016, 12:18   #2096
Team-BHP Support

The better half's passport just got delivered. That's 8 days down to the minute from her 'Normal' appointment at 1215 last Friday.

Excellent service
Old 8th October 2016, 15:44   #2097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The better half's passport just got delivered. That's 8 days down to the minute from her 'Normal' appointment at 1215 last Friday.

Excellent service
Kolkata RPO office beat you, even I was amazed, applied for my sister's renewal, appointment was on 4th Oct, received renewed passport today on 8th Oct, fastest I have seen.
Old 17th October 2016, 22:07   #2098
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I am reissuing my passport in order to update some details - do I have to resubmit the ECNR documents? My ECNR status obviously hasn't changed.
Old 17th October 2016, 22:11   #2099
Senior - BHPian

Unnecessary. ECNR is granted by default these days and only stamped ECR if you require such clearance.
Old 23rd October 2016, 16:36   #2100
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I am going to passport office this week to update the address on my passport. My passport is not expired but it was made when I was in Pune long back - wanted to get the address updated.

As per the document list, I think I have to take only 2 things

1) My current electricity bill & a photocopy.

2) My current passport & photocopy of 1st 2 pages & last 2 pages of my current passport.

Is this right or am I missing something?

Also what happens if they want some additional documents - do you have to take a new appointment or do they give you time to get it.

Most Viewed