Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2016, 13:54   #2116
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Your case is of "post-verification" meaning passport would be dispatched without waiting for police verification. However, you will have to get it done afterwards. Passport will be revoked if a negative verification report goes to the passport office due to no show.
The police verification part of the process turned this into my worst passport experience ever.

This is my 4th passport. For the earlier passports, I have never had to go to a police station. The police came to my building talked the neighbours & that was all.

This time, a policeman came to my home. I had given 2 references - 1 from my building & one from a building which was 5 minutes away. He didn't want to visit another building. So he told me get someone else from my building itself. He asked me to call them to my home - he didn't want to go there. So I called my neighbour & he asked her a lot of questions & finished that part. Then he told me he is not going to visit the other reference (who was in my building) & he asked me the person's age & other details & wrote it in the form that he talked to her also.

He then gave me list of documents to take get 2 photocopies of and take it to the police station. It was a huge list of documents - some 10 or 12 documents. It even asked for letter from the society. I took 5 or 6 of the 12 & went to the police station today - there were 3 people ahead of me - so it was an hour before my turn came. The police guy spent around 20 minutes with each person. He spent 20 minutes with me also. He filled a few forms. Finally he gave those forms to me & asked me to go to a nearby photo copy shop & take 2 copies of those also. And he had also run of some forms - so he made me get 10 photocopies of a blank form also.
Finally, he asked me for some bakshish which I have him.

I don't see the point of the police guys asking for so many documents 5 times as much as the passport office asked for. I don't see the point of why I should go to the police station - as I said, this was a first - I have never had to do this for my earlier passports. What the hell are they verifying? This is just another way to trouble citizens and also make some money.
Old 30th October 2016, 10:26   #2117
BANNED

A bit off topic, Lost Passport

Recently on a trip to the land of the Thunder Dragon I lost my passport. I lodged a Police Complaint and on the basis of that the Embassy issued me with a letter/certificate permitting/enabling me to travel back to India. Since India and Bhutan have visa free travel (can be against Passport or the Voter ID) nothing else was required.

The Attache did mention something about writing to the RPO. What is the procedure. Do I go the nearest PSK with the papers from the embassy (incl copy of the police complaint), along with a letter to the RPO requesting a fresh passport. If so then do I fill in the online form once again? Any more details will be most welcome.
Old 30th October 2016, 11:49   #2118
Senior - BHPian

Yes. You have reported the loss at the Indian mission and travelled home on an emergency certificate. Now please report the loss at the police station and get a nc report.

Then apply for "reissue of passport" at the passportindia website - there is a wizard there that will tell you what documents are required such as affidavit (annexure L), nc report or fir copy etc.

The next step is to contact the various consulates / embassies whose countries you have valid visas for and report the loss
to them so that you can apply for reissue of the visa.

Last edited by hserus : 30th October 2016 at 11:50.
Old 31st October 2016, 11:42   #2119
BANNED

@hserus; I had first lodged a report with Thimphu police, a copy of which was attached with my Exit Certificate by the embassy. They will not issue the Exit certificate without a Police Complaint.

Fortunately, on this passport I do not have any visas. So I guess I should be more or less Ok with the paperwork. Now let Deepawali be over then I will follow up on the matter. Given that Bhutan is a very law abiding country, the embassy does not rule out the possibility of the passport surfacing.
Old 31st October 2016, 12:05   #2120
Senior - BHPian

You may also need to raise a complaint at your local police station - please ask the inspector there about it. As it is a mere CSR entry they will usually issue it immediately.
Old 2nd November 2016, 23:24   #2121
Senior - BHPian

Approximately how long does it take to renew the passport in Bangalore? I would be getting the address updated (originally issued in another state) and martial status updated.
Old 5th November 2016, 10:17   #2122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Go to the main police station.
Follow the instructions as much as possible.
Things work a bit different in Mumbai. Mumbai police has a parallel process of verification (and interview) that is independent of passport process.

Only local police station conducts the interview and then file is sent to CID for validation.

So, SMS / status of passport usually does not match with procces of Mumbai police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The police verification part of the process turned this into my worst passport experience ever.
This is the "norm" in Mumbai. Unfortunately, the city with largest number of fake passports and thriving business of fake Visa. Police just cannot rely on documents that are accepted by passport office.

Please do take:

1. NOC / Verification letter from housing society (random sample is validated by CID against police NOC issued during rent agreement)
2. MTNL/ Electricity/ Gas bills (Most recent + 1 Year old)
3. Aadhar (some police stations now have biometric, so interview is a breeze there)
Old 5th November 2016, 17:32   #2123
BANNED

@hserus; I finally got some infor from the site. I need Annexure L duly filled and notarized on a Stamp paper (I though we had done was with these). Also, FIR in original (I guess the Thimphu complaint, now with the embassy and a stamped copy which is there in the documents should do). Also, a copy of the original PP which I have with proof of dob and address (Aadhar) should do. I will try in a week or two.
Old 5th November 2016, 17:49   #2124
Senior - BHPian

Yes sir - I would suggest that you get this fine asap though not two weeks later.
Old 5th November 2016, 18:37   #2125
BHPian

Hi Bhpians,

I am going for renewal of my passport through tatkal on Monday in Pune. I have an address change with addition of name of spouse and nothing else apart from that. Below is what I understand are the documents required-

1. Old passport in original with self attested photocopies of 1st 2 and last 2 pages
2. Self attested Address proof with original for verification
3. Marriage certificate
4. Non ECR proof (not sure why the website says I need this because am already in NECR category)

I was alittle confused on the below-

1. Do I need to carry any photographs? If yes, what are the requirements for the photograph?(white background and dark shirt I presume)
2. My marriage cert doesnt have any photographs? So will it work?
3. Also is a self attested marriage certificate sufficient or should it be attested by a Gazette?
4. Would my wife need to be present for getting her name added for spouse?
5. I will be taking Aadhar card as address proof but is 1 proof enough or do I need more than one?

Would be a great help if I could get some pointers on this. Don't want to go there and return for want of a document or something.

TIA
Old 5th November 2016, 18:57   #2126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Would be a great help if I could get some pointers on this.
1. Not needed
2. Will work
3. Yes self attested should be fine
4. Wife need not be present.
5. Usually just 1 is enough. If you have gas bills from a year or so back or as far back as you have and a recent one, carry that as well.
Old 7th November 2016, 12:00   #2127
BHPian

Thanks a ton for the help. Had to reschedule my appointment to Tuesday because of some other priority work. Keeping fingers crossed.

One more question. I live in an area which has 2 police stations in the vicinity. Now the website shows both and I have selected the one which I comparatively nearer but not sure if that is the actual one. Any idea on how this can be figured out? Asked a few folks around and got replies supporting both the police stations.

Last edited by centaur : 7th November 2016 at 12:00. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 7th November 2016, 12:08   #2128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton for the help. Had to reschedule my appointment to Tuesday because of some other priority work. Keeping fingers crossed.
The police station to which your file will be forwarded will contact you themselves via SMS, about when to come, what to bring etc.

About the address proof - since yours is an address change, they might ask for something more than the Aadhar card, that proves you have been living at that location for more than 1 year. So, I would suggest take copies & originals of your electricity bill for Oct 2015 and Oct 2016 with you.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 7th November 2016 at 12:15.
Old 7th November 2016, 12:18   #2129
BHPian

Quote:
I live in an area which has 2 police stations in the vicinity.
The passport website is not very helpful on this. I have 2 stations near my home and one is closer and I have chosen that on all our family passports. I dont think this is critical and even if it goes to the other one, you will just get a call from the Head constable there. Dont worry about it. He will come home or may call you over too.
Old 7th November 2016, 12:23   #2130
BHPian

Thanks Vikram and Diyguy for the pointers. Will carry along those documents and also wait for the SMS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks