Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Did you support the Earth Hour on March 27 ?
Yes 19 37.25%
No 32 62.75%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 11:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

How many of you supported the Earth hour

I am proud to say that I supported the Earth hour on 27th March from 8.30 to 9.30 pm by switching off the total power supply. All equipments incl the fridge too were switched off between the said times. I was wholly supported by my wife and my kid who seemed to like the candle light dinner. I did my bit to save the earth and also managed to persuade/convince a few families in my building to switch off completely for one hour. Got resistance from few adamant ones since watching IPL match was their priority.
How many of Team BHPians supported the Earth hour? Pls let everyone know.
Old 29th March 2010, 12:49   #2
knp
BHPian

yeah, even we supported for this at home. In-fact, I had asked my neighbors also, but they didn't care.
Old 29th March 2010, 12:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

We actually support earth hour here in Bangalore for two hours everyday thanks to BESCOM !
Old 29th March 2010, 12:54   #4
Team-BHP Support

Yup 2 hours every day in March.
From April mid we will do earth hour 4 hours a day.
When may starts, we will become even more environment friendly and support earth hour for 6-8 hours a day. On some days, when we are feeling very very environment friendly, we will switch off all appliances, for the entire night, including the refrigerator. However, for such super environment friendly switch offs, I am not sure whether the carbon saving is offset entirely or partially by the food we have to throw? Any ideas?
Old 29th March 2010, 12:55   #5
BANNED

Never knew about this, but thankfully as Kannan said BESCOM is supporting it every day here.
Old 29th March 2010, 13:28   #6
BHPian

MSEDCL did that for us on friday night itself, 45 min power cut for no apparent reason.

I also saw a pic of people lighting hundreds of candles at some location, isn't burning that many candles adding more CO2 as well?

As for earth hour, I did not specifically do anything this time, in any case I try to use power in my house as judiciously as possible (not turning on lights in rooms which I am not in etc)
Old 29th March 2010, 13:38   #7
Team-BHP Support

We did the minimal mode - switched off everything except the fridnge. As it was hot. We went out for a walk and stopped in a restaurant for dinner
Old 29th March 2010, 13:40   #8
Team-BHP Support

I do my bit throughout the year, so no special earth hour for me
Old 29th March 2010, 13:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

No specific support to earth hour. That is next to impossible for me, but yes, daily when I study, its always 9W table lamp. Even while doing computer at night, its always 9W lamp. Minimum use of tube lamps.

Radio now works on solar power as we have now two solar batteries in working condition ( we had 4 earlier ). I think this is the best I can do.
Old 29th March 2010, 13:43   #10
BHPian

No. I didn't do anything.
In fact I read in the paper that if everyone supported this, it would make the national grid unstable.
I prefer helping earth by using env friendly fuels like CNG than petrol.

You can convert this topic to poll.
Did you follow the earth hour?
-Yes
-No
Old 29th March 2010, 13:51   #11
Team-BHP Support

Public Poll added to the thread.
Old 29th March 2010, 13:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

I don't participate in these gimmicks.

I care for the environment, hence
- I avoid using a vehicle for short distances.
- I use public transport occasionally giving a day's rest to my car.
- I remember to switch off all lights when I am going out of the house.
- I use energy efficient CFL lamps.

Instead of these gimmicks, some real action should be taken by the authorities to avoid energy wastage in the following area:
- Flashlights on advertising billboards
- Use of energy efficient LED lights instead of halogen lamps for street lighting
- Energy theft in slum areas

Rohan
Old 29th March 2010, 13:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

No doubt this is a very good token initiative to build awareness amongst all citizens. I personally always try to consume less amount of resources and I strongly believe in Reduce , Reuse , Recycle and sustainability philosophy.

While buying an electrical/electronic/ Vehicles I always give first preference to products which are energy efficient as I very well know that it efficiency always pays back in the long term.
While purchasing my flat I was looking out for a green builder, however I could not find at that point of time (5yrs back). I am really pained to see that builders will advertise and boast off amenities like Jacuzzi, heated swimming pools etc however these people cannot advertise / enable sustainable features like Rain Water Harvesting and solar heating as basic environmentally friendly steps.
Old 29th March 2010, 13:54   #14
Team-BHP Support

About 2-3 hours everyday. That means I really care about the earth unlike those posers who do it one hour a year.
Old 29th March 2010, 13:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Guys there is a term which is finding much used in past few years 'greenwash' , earth hour is one greenwash.

Can anyone with detailed understanding of power generation and grid working please explain how possibly earth hour can help ? They are not shutting down the generation anyway and grid can not store the energy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks