Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2005, 00:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Not again

Just heard that the SC goes back on its original order and allows use of loudspeakers till midnight during dandiya celeberations. This is not what i expected - i mean why pass a banning order if you want to go back on your words.

The places where the dandiya is held in a stadium or grounds far away from residential complexes , usage of loudspeakers till midnight is fine (eg at NSE grounds ). but at places where dandiya takes place on the roads in locaties disturbing the old , small children ,hospitals, sick people , animals is just not on. 10 pm was a good enough time to stop playing and stop disturbing people.

whats your take , guys ?
Old 4th October 2005, 09:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

Let em play till 12. Its just for a few nights.
Old 4th October 2005, 10:16   #3
BHPian

dude how can u say its just a few nights...after this there will be some other festival and the they will get permission as they had given permission for the dandia..i think it sucks that the state has gone back on its word.....soon now 12 will be the deadline
no offence to all the dandia players..i too go to play but then if ur not having in the party its just a big disturbence to the rest.....
big booos to the state
Old 4th October 2005, 10:19   #4
Team-BHP Support

Do you burst crackers after 10pm on Diwali? Then you're doing the same thing.

I agree with NC that maybe a 10pm deadline for places that are in residential neighborhoods, but if someone is organising a concert or whatever in the middle of nowhere, the 10pm deadline is crazy.
Old 4th October 2005, 10:34   #5
BANNED

Any kind of public event which hinders others is bad, be it concerts or dandiya, if that person is not into that kind of music, then it is noise for him/her. I am with SC on this all the way, have been tormented enough.
Old 4th October 2005, 10:41   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any kind of public event which hinders others is bad,
then we shouldn't have Ganpathi immersions, firecrackers on diwali, loudspeakers for the mosques...the list goes on.

Tolerance is the only way we can co-exist.
Old 4th October 2005, 11:00   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Tolerance is the only way we can co-exist.
I there there's any other way to exist Rtech?
Old 4th October 2005, 11:24   #8
Team-BHP Support

Not sure about other cities but this will surely evoke sparks of fury in Pune.
For people who are unaware: Puneites torched an entire locality on the night of Ganesh immersions as they were not allowed to play their item numbers after the 10pm deadline. Policemen were beaten up and the entire locality vandalized by locals.

I feel the rule should be made uniform for all festivals.
Old 4th October 2005, 12:54   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Why single out only the dandiyas? Try coming over to my place (right on the beach) and trying to live during the Ganpati celebrations. Its 10 nights right from the book of insomnia.

If a restriction is placed for 10 p.m. or any other time...it must be enforced for each and every festival.

GTO
Old 4th October 2005, 13:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

There is a lot of space outside Mumbai. I think loud music is a nuisance whether you like the genre or no. So are firecrackers and in some extreme cases too much illumination. I am talking about residential areas here. I am kind of disappointed with this flip flop by the government and the judiciary - just like the rule about the helmets. No onw will be taken seriously anymore.

Tolerance is good, Rtech, but concern for others takes us much farther.
Old 4th October 2005, 13:24   #11
Team-BHP Support

Trust me, I get as cheesed off as the next guy when I get stuck in a traffic jam for 2 hours due to the immersions, or have to sit through the blaring music all night.

But, these are things which we have to live with (to a limit). If all activities that bother people are stopped (and faceit, there are some people who get bugged with EVERYTHING!), there would be no Monaco GP, no carnival in Rio, no Mardi Gras in New Orleans (yea yea...Katrina, I know!). Is that what you want?

Last edited by Rtech : 4th October 2005 at 13:25.
Old 4th October 2005, 16:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

yeah - the rule has to be enforced equally ! no ifs no buts !

And yeah just imagine - the cacaphony of cars and bikes leaving after the dandiya at midnight ! the sound of horns and bikes revving to impress the girls .......

im going deaf already !
Old 4th October 2005, 17:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha
Any kind of public event which hinders others is bad, be it concerts or dandiya, if that person is not into that kind of music, then it is noise for him/her. I am with SC on this all the way, have been tormented enough.
Am with Gurkha here - have fun, but not at someone else's expense. They can play Dandia 24 hours a day as long as its away from residential areas and hospitals. LIve and let live.
Old 4th October 2005, 17:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let em play till 12. Its just for a few nights.
My exams will also last a few days
Old 4th October 2005, 17:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, these are things which we have to live with (to a limit).
True. But there are some who don't seem to understand that there is a limit to what other people can tolerate. If we are dancing the dandiya, it is okay if we know about it. I dont think others need to know that there is a dandiya going on in the neightbourhood. And yeah, the same goes for everything else, Ganesh immersions, Bandra fairs, dandiyas etc. I remember that there was a news article about the problems faced by a few residents in Bhandup. The Ganesh pandal that was erected cut off their access to the road for more than a week. Enjoying oneself at the cost of others is not done. The ban would not have come if people were a bit more concerned about others while celebrating.

And on another note, if the Ganesh pandals were not allowed to function beyond 10:00 p.m., I cannot see what logic allows the dandiyas to go on beyond that time. That would leave a very bad feeling.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks