Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 13:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

IIM's hike the fees, How will common man afford this

First it was IIM B which hiked the fees and now its the turn of IIM A to hike the fees which is going to be 13.7L for a two year course. This is third hike in three years. Just imagine a course which costed 5L in 2007 now costs 13.7L in 2010 a jump of 36%. How is this affordable to a common man and esp parents who would be dreaming to have their children getting admission to these prestigious institutes.
I was just thinking how much do I have to start saving right from now if my three year old son ever wished to join these insitutes. The rate at which the education costs are exponentially rising gives me sleepless nights. Pls see below link

IIM-B raises fee by Rs 1.5 lakh

BHPians any thoughts on the same.
Old 31st March 2010, 13:36   #2
BHPian

MBA as such is an expensive affair and IIMs are the best brand and offer the best ROI compared to any other B-school in India. I think its worth it even at 15L per year.

ISB, Hyderabad for that matter charges 18L+ for their 1yr course, people do flock to it and people do get placed with phenomenal packages. No one gets a seat with influence or just money power, its purely merit and most guys take loans to meet the expense.
Old 31st March 2010, 14:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

The grads are paid really well. So they won't really have any problem paying back. And the 'common man' would have graduated to the 'rich class' when he gets placed. Its a matter of 3-4 years before he clears it off.
Old 31st March 2010, 14:33   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with this move. If they dont increase the fees, the IIMs will lose their lustre. They pay their faculty quite well and if they expect them to continue delivering like before, they need to pay. And from where will they get the money? Students.

I'm happy this is one govt institution where they are not just relying on govt giveaways.
Old 31st March 2010, 15:07   #5
BHPian

Compared to US/UK schools, its peanuts for IIM if you consider the investment and return. The salary packages are extremely high for IIM grads. And for IIMs to sustain themselves, they need to increase the fees. Else they need to ask the government for everything! They need to get self sufficient.I still feel its worth it, even at 15L.

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 31st March 2010 at 15:08.
Old 31st March 2010, 15:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

OP, am really afraid to prick you bubble, but:
1. Considering the returns on investment, it will bring IIMs at par with worldwide institutes.
2. Common man anyway cannot think/afford of getting into IITs and IIMs. There are hordes of coaching centers which train "not-so-brilliant" students to crack the entrance exams. Result - the more "deserving" candidates (but poor) are not able to make it past even the initial stages.
What next? You are gonna petition against the coaching classes?
Old 31st March 2010, 15:44   #7
BHPian

What common man are you talking about here? Good education is already quite costly to for someone to reach or aspire to be an IIM student.

Also my problem in the original post is this "parents dreaming of their children going to such schools/institutes" that is the crux of the problem in India. Let the child decide what he wants to do or study for once than pushing him/her into this rat-race for the sake of your own notions of success.

If the kid is smart enough and more importantly interested in studying in such places the parents or the student will find a way to do it. As others have said, graduates from IIMs get paid a LOT so they do not really have to worry about the fees right away.
Old 31st March 2010, 16:09   #8
BHPian

The fee hike is totally justified and there is even scope for more.I dont think parents need to worry about the fees of IIM or other grade 'A' b-schools, a student can easily get a loan for the entire fees. SBI for sure offers it. No parental support needed. No gauranter needed. One just needs to show the admission proof and a few other docs and he gets the entire loan. The entire process took only a couple of hours when I tool my loan.
Old 31st March 2010, 18:28   #9
Team-BHP Support

Anyone who gets admission to IIM, stops being a common man right away. So, let's not worry about this.

Now compare this with MBBS and MD seats, which costs many times more without any definite future at the end of the course.
Old 31st March 2010, 18:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
This is third hike in three years. Just imagine a course which costed 5L in 2007 now costs 13.7L in 2010 a jump of 36%. How is this affordable to a common man and esp parents who would be dreaming to have their children getting admission to these prestigious institutes..
Heard or student loans? My friend got into a top MBA school in the US, the banks were standing in line to finance him.
Old 31st March 2010, 21:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Now compare this with MBBS and MD seats, which costs many times more without any definite future at the end of the course.
Is that the case with Govt medical collages?
Old 6th April 2010, 15:39   #12
BHPian

wow that is a cool 10 lakhs more than what I paid in 2007-09.

It is necessary for the colleges to hike because they have stopped taking grants from the government. And MBA's need not be subsidized. There are scholarships for students in financial need and banks are always in queue.

Along with the Fees I hope they improve the standards to compete at the top level globally
Old 6th April 2010, 15:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

I graduated in 2001 and I paid about 1.4 lacs. The faculty gets paid peanuts compared to the kind of work they do. I hope they take this opportunity to pay them what they deserve. The increase in fees would be worth it just to keep the HRD ministry at bay.

@Samurai, most IIM grads end up with regular jobs with maybe slightly more than regular pay only to start off with. After that it's a dog eat dog world and up to the person's calibre. Do not believe the hype created by the place comms.
Old 27th February 2012, 16:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Educational Loans - Help needed

If one is thinking about going back and doing some specialized course at some premium school like IIMB or IIMA, the course fees is quiet a deterrent these days. A good course can cost upwards of 12L, this means one might have to consider taking an educational loan. My questions are

1. How are they, any advises?
2. Are they cheaper then other loans, like personal, auto, or home?
3. They have a benefit of tax free, are there any caveats in that?
Old 1st March 2012, 11:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: IIM's hike the fees, How will common man afford this

Bumping this thread again, on my query of Educational loans.

Spoke to HDFC Credila guys and they fund upto 20L for higher education at 12.5% Simple Interest, now i was curious as to why SI when everyone is giving it on Compounded? Which is better anyone has any idea?

The repayment plan looks flexible as they say the EMI can start post course completion + six months.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks