Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2005, 16:13   #1
BHPian

Which linux distribution for me?

I want to install linux on my laptop. Although i have been using linux on and off I am essentially a windows person.

So keeping in mind the following points which will be the best distribution for me?

1. Should have a good GUI
2. Should be easy to use - like configuring networks, adding devices etc.,
3. I tinker around with web technologies and might use the machine for development works, site hosting and such.

Its better if the distro is free but I dont mind paying a few thousands for it though.

I have used Fedora Core for a while now. Pretty hapy with it. Any idea how it compares with the other distributions?
Old 5th October 2005, 16:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Try either of the two 'Live CD' linux distributions - they allow you to run Linux from your CD drive (no hard disk partition required) after burning the ISO image onto a CD. These are:

Knoppix - www.knoppix.net - requires a standard CD-R. Quite nice and comes with tonnes of applications including open office. Ready to use.

Slax Linux - http://slax.linux-live.org/ - goes one step further by using the mini-CD. This way you can carry your OS in your pocket !!!! I like Slax, because despite its smaller size it configures itself automatically to my wide-screen display unlike Knoppix which requires some tweaking.

Both these are great if you want to try Linux without commiting yourself and making changes to your hard disk. I believe they're pretty good for serious users too, but I've never been a 'serious user' of Linux.

PS: Slax even has a 'Popcorn' edition that will run off a 128mb flash drive!

Last edited by Steeroid : 5th October 2005 at 16:26.
Old 5th October 2005, 16:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

yup better give LiveCD a try
there are lots of distros with LiveCD (including BSD)

I would recomend you to buy a Linux distro mainly because you get documentation with it, which is missing from downloaded distro. (very useful for new users)
you can try either Suse Linux or Linspire

as for GUI check this link http://www.xpde.com/
Old 5th October 2005, 16:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

Mandrake Linux.
the buck stops here,
I have been using linux from around 1999, and have tried Redhat, Fedora, Mandrake, Debian, Ubuntu, and am now on gentoo and plan to stay there. But the most newbie friendly and at the same time powerful distro i have encountered is Mandrake. If you want CDs contact the linux-bangalore group on yahoo. Many of the members will be willing to sell you the CDs for the cost of blank CD. you can get the same from GTCDROm for 300rs or so. If you really want to help madrake get the Boxed set(3000rs or so) or buy a copy and purchase mandrake club membership or make a donation

As for your laptop hardware support, if it works with Fedora, it will work with madrake. I do not like fedora because it breaks a lot of things and tries to dumb down things too much. With madrake you have good gui, but if you want to get to basics it offers you that freedom too.

another distro which i have heard of a lot but used only little is ubuntu. Newbies swear by it. though i am not too sure about how good it is compared to mandrake, but compared to Fedora it plain rocks. Ubuntu advantage is that the help forums and community forums are much more widespread. Infact many linux-banaglore group members would be happy to meet you at a coffee shop and install it on your laptop.
If you do IRC chat, do drop in #linux-india channel on irc.freenode.net and chat up with the people

Most Viewed