Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 12:15   #16
BHPian

How about a School ID card, and a copy of the birth certificate as age proof, assuming that the names match in both [ Sometimes they don't especially w.r.t the initials and expanded initials ! ]

I use a photocopy of the passport for my son to use when required. Surprisingly, it was never asked !

Last edited by lambuhere1 : 8th April 2010 at 12:17.
Old 8th April 2010, 12:21   #17
Team-BHP Support

If its possible get a Pan card for one them.

Will the boys have a mobile phone with them.
Just in case there is to much non-sense, they can always call up their parents.
Old 8th April 2010, 12:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

We all know that as per law everyone traveling on e-tickets should carry a valid id-proof that has to be produced when asked. And the railways to make sure that id proofs are valid, they have prescribed a list of cards that are acceptable. Minors can not have DL or Voters ID but surely can have PAN card or Passport as photo's id.

If the TTE is nice and allows School id's as valid proof of identity ( which IMO they should) the kids wont have any problems or else they will have to pay the exact amount of the ticket as fine.

But why take a chance, if possible cancel the online tickets and try getting another set of tickets over the reservation counter. Well, provided that reservation is still available.

Anyway, good luck to both of them.

Last edited by deky : 8th April 2010 at 12:28.
Old 8th April 2010, 12:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
a copy of the birth certificate as age proof
This is a good idea, will ask them to have a copy & yes their names do match; unfortunately the birth certificate doesn't have photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Will the boys have a mobile phone with them.Just in case there is to much non-sense, they can always call up their parents.
Yes they will have with adequate charge on the phone as well as on talk time hence no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Minors can not have DL or Voters ID but surely can have PAN card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If its possible get a Pan card for one them.
No comments

Quote:
or else they will have to pay the exact amount of the ticket as fine.

Worst case I or my be their Dad dealing the TTE along with Father of nation. Fine will be too much.

Quote:
But why take a chance, if possible cancel the online tickets and try getting another set of tickets over the reservation counter. Well, provided that reservation is still available.
Easier said than done. If the tickets were available so easily, I wouldn't have opted for e-ticket in the first place right?

Based on the logic of passport/PAN/DL carrying a school issued photo identification & a copy of it getting attested by a notary should suffice I guess.

Last edited by aargee : 8th April 2010 at 12:55.
Old 8th April 2010, 12:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29
In case one isnt carrying valid ID proof, the fine will be applicable... were you able to find out how much it is?
If one travels without the E-ticket, fine is only Rs50. However, travelling without ID-proof is treated on the same line as ticket-less travel and fine levied accordingly.

@aargee, I guess you can have the kids carry their SchoolID + RationCard (if available). Most TTEs would understand and anyway this is the best that can be done at this stage.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 8th April 2010 at 12:59.
Old 8th April 2010, 13:06   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Why not book an i-ticket instead. Irctc has an option to book i-ticket from the website. The ticket would be couriered to the address specified. I have done that many times.

I-Ticket
Old 8th April 2010, 13:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
If one travels without the E-ticket, fine is only Rs50. However, travelling without ID-proof is treated on the same line as ticket-less travel and fine levied accordingly.
Well, I'm not sure. I guess the TTE forces you to pay the entire ticket amount; I'm unable to find the railway rules for this.
Old 8th April 2010, 14:03   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Kids can carry their School/ College ID - that is usually acceptable - because they wont have a Voters Id or PAN Card or whatever.

And it is certainly a good idea to buy the I Ticket rather than an E Ticket - I tickets in my experience get delivered within 72 hours of your having placed the order booking and having made payment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

@aargee, I guess you can have the kids carry their SchoolID + RationCard (if available). Most TTEs would understand and anyway this is the best that can be done at this stage.
Old 8th April 2010, 14:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Kids can carry their School/ College ID - that is usually acceptable - because they wont have a Voters Id or PAN Card or whatever.
Shankar, initially I was shocked to see bblost's post on PAN; but on google I found that PAN can be applied for minors too; it got me thinking & I guess I'll apply one for my daughter. I guess I'll stick to school id along with attested copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Why not book an i-ticket instead. Irctc has an option to book i-ticket from the website. The ticket would be couriered to the address specified. I have done that many times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
And it is certainly a good idea to buy the I Ticket rather than an E Ticket - I tickets in my experience get delivered within 72 hours of your having placed the order booking and having made payment.
The seats are available on iTicket starting from June 1st week ; yes, the delivery of iTicket is made on time.

Last edited by aargee : 8th April 2010 at 14:14.
Old 8th April 2010, 14:18   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

youre right. there are certainly cases of minors with PAN Cards.
Especially in case they have an income from a trust or from modelling or acting or something. worth applying for certainly. But remember, once she gets a PAN, and till she has an income, you will have to file NIL Returns for her every year with the IT Dept. B
ut in most cases minors dont have an income and hence wont have a PAN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Shankar, initially I was shocked to see bblost's post on PAN; but on google I found that PAN can be applied for minors too; it got me thinking & I guess I'll apply one for my daughter. I guess I'll stick to school id along with attested copy.

The seats are available on iTicket starting from June 1st week ; yes, the delivery of iTicket is made on time.
Old 20th April 2010, 09:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Final update
The onward journey tickets had to be cancelled as they were able to get normal tickets.

However the return journey, Chennai to Aluva had to be booked under Tatkal. One of my cousin had the school ID card & had appeared for 10th board exam this year & hence had the hall ticket as proof too. The TTE accepted both the proofs without any word & their journey was smooth.
Old 27th September 2018, 19:22   #27
BHPian

re: ID proofs - Minors travelling in trains without identification

My father, a senior citizen flew to Lucknow from kolkata earlier this week and is scheduled to fly back day after tomorrow. He misplaced his wallet which, apart from his bank cards also had his pan and voter cards. He has filed an fir and also hotlisted the cards but the immediate challenge is flying without an original photo id. His aadhar card is back home in Kolkata. The flight is on Saturday morning so not sure if courier will reach in time.
Please help
Old 27th September 2018, 19:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Please help
If the phone number that is linked to your father's Aadhaar active, please log in to digilocker and download a digitally scanned copy of Aadhaar card and ask him to carry this printout. Personally I have not tried this at airports but when I forget my wallet home, I took printout of license and it was ok for the cop which flagged me down on the way back home.
Old 27th September 2018, 21:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
...the immediate challenge is flying without an original photo id. His aadhar card is back home in Kolkata
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
If the phone number that is linked to your father's Aadhaar active, please log in to digilocker
Doable.

But Digilocker might not be everyone's cup of tea; yet. The easier option would be to approach an internet cafe/xerox centre and get a laminated colour printout of the AADHAAR. Peace of mind at less than a hundred bucks. An OTP would of course be sent to the registered mobile number before the document can be accessed.
Old 27th September 2018, 21:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Doable.

But Digilocker might not be everyone's cup of tea; yet.
I agree, but a laminated copy / printout may not be accepted on its own. The advantage of digilocker is its e-signed copies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
The beauty () of AADHAAR is that it isn't - unlike an EPIC or PAN - a solitary - once only issued - physical card. It is downloadable and printable n number of times.
Wow, thanks for enlightening me on this. Never knew this aspect. Now I feel dumb.

Last edited by blackwasp : 27th September 2018 at 21:29. Reason: Adding second reply

Most Viewed