If there is no cop I try to jump 3 3.26%
Only if somebody else jumps, i follow 7 7.61%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2005, 11:53   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
I guess, you are talking about those in US or Europe and not in India. Here, you have amber which turns red in 2 seconds :-( Amber is supposed to give you sufficient time to slow down or pass if you are in high speed and can cross before it turns red. At many of our signals, amber is there only because it is supposed to be there.
I drive in India and the Amber light gives you adequate time on most occassions - the trouble is NOT with the timing of the Amber lights, but rather with the mentality of those on the roads. Here, Amber is seen as a signal to speed up and not to slow down - EVERYONE rushes forward when they see Amber instead of slowing down.
Old 8th October 2005, 11:59   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here, Amber is seen as a signal to speed up and not to slow down - EVERYONE rushes forward when they see Amber instead of slowing down.
Not just here, that's everywhere! Amber means speed up
Old 8th October 2005, 12:08   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Not just here, that's everywhere! Amber means speed up
Nope. It means slow down, and thats one of the points they take particular note of when you go for your driving test here. I do the same in India and I get dirty looks from the people around me.
Old 8th October 2005, 12:12   #64
BHPian

i never break the signals but here people dont wait till green when 3 or 4 seconds
are remaining for green they zoom past but i never do that and even if there only 3 or 4 seconds to red then i dont rush i wait till it turns green again becuase it is dangerous.I dont like this second system introduced here
Old 8th October 2005, 12:16   #65
BHPian

I hate to jump signals.But I think the timing(duration) should be changed for the night traffic.Now,the wait is too long during night times,hence vehicles jump signals.In the US,it is one of the most serious offences.With simputers making their way into the Bangalore Traffic Police dept,it's time they also get in hidden cameras & take on people jumping signals.
Old 8th October 2005, 12:17   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Nope. It means slow down, and thats one of the points they take particular note of when you go for your driving test here. I do the same in India and I get dirty looks from the people around me.
Yes, you better not do that for a test, but in the real world, most people take it as "gotto make that light...!". That includes me most of the time as well. But only at intersections where I can see other traffic clearly.

damn...now where did my halo disappear too?
Old 8th October 2005, 12:18   #67
Senior - BHPian

i remember this hoarding by the delhi traffic police somewhere in delhi to promote traffic awareness
"Dont charge when you see red. You are not a bull"
Old 8th October 2005, 15:36   #68
BHPian

Me and jump a traffic signal...NEVER!!!Have been abiding by the rules and will abide by them.
Old 8th October 2005, 15:50   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
but in the real world, most people take it as "gotto make that light...!".

yeah exactly and at the same time there are 3-4 seconds left for the other signal to turn green and those guys have already started rolling.i really feel the timer on the signal causes bigger problems UNLESS people use it sensibly and only start moving once it turns 0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
i remember this hoarding by the delhi traffic police somewhere in delhi to promote traffic awareness
"Dont charge when you see red. You are not a bull"
that one had me in splits they should put up boards like that ll over town.

rev
Old 8th October 2005, 18:29   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

I have voted for never because i simply don't drive so much tat any signal comes in my way.
But i must say, underage drivers do drive better then the majority of other drivers who are overconfident of their skills behind their wheels.
Underage drivers aren't that overconfident and know that the will get f****ed if they do anything to the car and hence are more careful.
In the morning before 8 when the signals aren't fully on, it gets really irritating to wait at the signals (the only ones working are those at intersections) because the traffic coming from the intersection doesnot follow the signal so you wait for 10 minutes just to go through.
It is easier to go with the flow at that time as you egt through afster but from 8 onwards, we never break any signal untill 12 in the night or whenever they sop working.
Old 9th October 2005, 18:48   #71
Senior - BHPian

I do jump signals,but only after 11pm.Otherwise i do stop.

X
Old 9th October 2005, 22:58   #72

Is there a reason why underage driving is being discussed/justified?
Old 10th October 2005, 11:09   #73
Senior - BHPian

I always try to never jump signals, event at 1:00 AM. But there are some times where i jump unnoticed. Times like when I am behind a heavy vehicle and couldn't get to see the lights. Got caught couple of times due to that.
Old 9th July 2012, 15:50   #74
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you jump red lights?

A old one but relevant on any given date. Never jump a red light unless caught by surprise meaning behind a big vehicle with no line of sight on the lights.

The other day a rikshaw guy was banging the back of my car just because I 'blocked' his way or did not move forward by jumping a red light. Obviously didn't budge an inch till the lights turned go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks