Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2015, 15:11   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Autism Thread

An United Air pilot does emergency landing after he finds out that an autistic teenage girl might throw a tantrum. What a brave pilot, and what a presence of mind... somebody give him top most medal available for stupidity.

http://themighty.com/2015/05/police-...ly-off-a-plane
Old 13th May 2015, 15:49   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
An United Air pilot does emergency landing after he finds out that an autistic teenage girl might throw a tantrum. What a brave pilot, and what a presence of mind... somebody give him top most medal available for stupidity.

http://themighty.com/2015/05/police-...ly-off-a-plane
That's just ignorance. Mishandling special-needs individuals is bad anywhere in the world, especially so in a first world country where they actually have the means and infrastructure to tackle such situations.

I can't begin to imagine what individuals with special needs feel and experience in a third world country like ours where most public organisations make no provisions to accommodate them at all.

The link says the mother is suing the airline, I hope demands for crew training are part of the lawsuit.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th May 2015 at 15:51.
Old 18th May 2015, 21:07   #138
BHPian

As per recommendations by American Journal of Medical Genetics CMA (chromosomal microarray) should be the first tier of diagnosis for Autism Spectrum Disorders or other developmental disorders.

In India, Dr Lal PathLabs and some other labs now offering microarray based tests for autism.
Old 18th May 2015, 21:23   #139
Senior - BHPian

Truth be told, the parents of the girl seemed horribly unprepared for the flight as well. Did they inform the airline in advance about their special needs?
Old 1st June 2015, 15:07   #140
Team-BHP Support

AIIMS recently released couple of very useful booklets on Autism. Very educative stuff, and it busts some alternative therapy myths like HBOT or B12.

http://www.aiims.edu/images/pdf/autism.pdf

http://www.aiims.edu/images/pdf/Autism%20Booklet.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Truth be told, the parents of the girl seemed horribly unprepared for the flight as well. Did they inform the airline in advance about their special needs?
There is nothing like that. An autistic person is like a toddler, and will behave like one. Does one have to warn the airline in advance if you are taking a toddler on board? We take our kid everywhere on car or flight, we take food and toys to keep him entertained. We don't have to warn anybody. He handles 8-9 hour long drives better than many adults I know.

Sometimes these crazy security measures stop the autism parents from carrying food or drink on flight. On these matters airline staff can be extremely unreasonable. And it is impossible to explain to the autistic child that his favorite drink was confiscated by TSA to keep the aircraft safe from terrorism, just like you can't explain it to a two year old.

Last edited by Samurai : 1st June 2015 at 15:12.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 13:08   #141
Team-BHP Support

Old 4th June 2015, 14:05   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks Samu, that video linked to this one and I can really relate to some of this.

Old 1st July 2015, 15:07   #143
Team-BHP Support

A very good initiative from SAP.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/47878243.cms
Old 28th August 2015, 15:01   #144

At last, a thread I can relate closely with, since my daughter is having development disorder (which gets misbranded by doctors/experts with various names like PDD, ADHD, Mild Autism etc.)

Really appreciate the information that Samurai and others have posted on this thread.

Here is a list of things we have been doing since 2010 for our 7 year old. I have also mentioned the % of success obtained, which is just a ball park figure

Early Intervention therapy
This is still going on, results are good so far. Probably 15-20 improvement so far

Speech therapy
We stopped this last year after understanding that speech therapy will no longer help

Homeopathy
Tried two doctors (or quacks I should say), one of them promised miracle cure in 6 months, the only cure we got was a regular bowel which might have helped 10% to the cause. The other one was neither knowledgeable or able to really help. So stopped this

Ayurveda
Tried two places for a year each, no sharp results but might have helped the kid to some extend adding another 10% success

Music Therapy
This is going on since a year, and I think is helping another 10%

Home Therapy
For last few years, I have devised a plan which include things already discussed on this thread like exercises, diet, super yoga (baski), cognition exercises etc. which might have helped another 10%

My kid goes to regular mainstream school which provides a special educator assistance and is doing quite well academically. My goal is to enable her to lead a full and normal life as she grows up without external dependence.
kishgator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 21:26   #145
BHPian

Hi Kishgator, for my nephew, I would like to try out some of the items you mentioned such as Music Therapy and Home Therapy. Could you please share some details on these? reAny web links that would throw more light would also be of help. Also could you elaborate a bit more on why speech therapy will no longer help? Is it based on age? My nephew is 9 years old. Much appreciate all the help. Thanks in advance.
Old 16th November 2015, 10:09   #146
Team-BHP Support

There is another dangerous pseudo-scientific technique called facilitated communication or FC, which has been debunked now. But like most debunked pseudo-science, it refuses to die since the believers carry on.

Old 17th November 2015, 11:43   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishgator View Post
Homeopathy
Tried two doctors (or quacks I should say), one of them promised miracle cure in 6 months, the only cure we got was a regular bowel which might have helped 10% to the cause. The other one was neither knowledgeable or able to really help. So stopped this

Music Therapy
This is going on since a year, and I think is helping another 10%
Can you elaborate on what kind of homeopathy and music therapy was used in this case?
Old 18th November 2015, 17:30   #148

Mod note: Back to back posts, please use EDIT once the post is Approved. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Can you elaborate on what kind of homeopathy and music therapy was used in this case?
Homeopathy:
The first homeopath had arranged monthly visits for us, initially he had briefed how homeopathy works, how the medicine is made etc., then we started the course, every month he would change the pills (they looked the same though), if we would ask more information then he started giving frustrated answers. Since 6 months had passed and no improvement was present, we discontinued.

The second homeopath tried to lure us into a 1 year program which cam with freebies like free home delivery, free medicines for entire family etc.
After researching myself and also consulting other parents, dropped the idea.

Music Therapy
This is just Carnatic music which will be taught and recited 1 to 1, this might help in concentration, co-ordination, eye contact etc. However it cant be the sole program for treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Hi Kishgator, for my nephew, I would like to try out some of the items you mentioned such as Music Therapy and Home Therapy. Could you please share some details on these? reAny web links that would throw more light would also be of help. Also could you elaborate a bit more on why speech therapy will no longer help? Is it based on age? My nephew is 9 years old. Much appreciate all the help. Thanks in advance.
I have provided details for Music therapy in previous reply, as far as speech therapy since my kid became articulate enough in speech and language along with age, the speech therapy was stopped after she became 5 years old.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th November 2015 at 17:47. Reason: Back to back posts, please use EDIT once the post is Approved. Thanks.
Old 8th December 2015, 16:31   #149
BHPian

Hey guys, @Samu, thanks a lot for starting this thread and keeping it alive.
My 15-month old son is showing symptoms of autism. He doesn't point at things nor look at things when we point them out; likes doing things repeatedly. We're still going through the initial stages of disbelief with my wife slowly realizing but not wanting to believe he has it.

I'm in Pune; so googled and scheduled an appointment with "Child guidance centre, Erandwane" for a diagnosis tomorrow. I'm posting this to seek your advice of any other institutions too where we can get diagnosis and therapies. My dad noticed it initially and suggested that we take him to http://niepmd.tn.nic.in/ for a diagnosis. I've read that early diagnosis and intervention/therapy helps.
Old 22nd August 2016, 03:53   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishgator View Post
My kid goes to regular mainstream school which provides a special educator assistance and is doing quite well academically. My goal is to enable her to lead a full and normal life as she grows up without external dependence.
I realize it has been a long time since this post was made. Could anyone help with a list of schools in Bangalore that allow an educator assistance for children who have been facing challenges with "attention deficiency"? Any feedback on alternative or open schools in this context would also help.

Last edited by CBlazer : 22nd August 2016 at 04:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks