Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2017, 13:38   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Autism Thread

The article I shared today names quite a few institutes in Bangalore. BMI is one more place you can consider.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 18:01   #167
BHPian

This study from Keele University, Staffordshire & Kings College Hospital, London was published in the Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology (March 2018) issue.

Quote:
Aluminium in brain tissue in autism

...we have used transversely heated graphite furnace atomic absorption spectrometry to measure, for the first time, the aluminium content of brain tissue from donors with a diagnosis of autism. We have also used an aluminium-selective fluor to identify aluminium in brain tissue using fluorescence microscopy. The aluminium content of brain tissue in autism was consistently high...

...Animal models of ASD continue to support a connection with aluminium and to aluminium adjuvants used in human vaccinations in particular. Hitherto there are no previous reports of aluminium in brain tissue from donors who died with a diagnosis of ASD. We have measured aluminium in brain tissue in autism and identified the location of aluminium in these tissues...
Though the sample size of the study might be a bit limited (10 donors), it raises and answers (?) some questions nevertheless.

Link to full text of the study.
Old 25th May 2018, 21:06   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
I realize it has been a long time since this post was made. Could anyone help with a list of schools in Bangalore that allow an educator assistance for children who have been facing challenges with "attention deficiency"? Any feedback on alternative or open schools in this context would also help.
My kid goes to VIBGYOR, its an awesome school.
Old 4th April 2019, 09:44   #169
Senior - BHPian

Today is World Autism Awareness day, hence bumping this thread so that new forum members can read some excellent posts on the topic by Samurai and others.

Also sharing this article which lists some organisations in India that do work in this area: https://yourstory.com/socialstory/20...ion-gbw039jmqw

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 12:21   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Today is World Autism Awareness day, hence bumping this thread so that new forum members can read some excellent posts on the topic by Samurai and others.
Thank you.

One of our children has autism. Unfortunately it was only diagnosed a few years ago. He is already in his early thirties. It has hampered him considerable in his life.

Now with the correct diagnosis and expert help we are a little bit more hopeful that we can find ways to improve his life. It has been very frustrating, for us, but of course more so for our son all those years.

Autism comes in many shapes and formats of course. But I feel for all those individuals and their family and friends. No matter what it is never easy and it is something that does require constant attention.

Jeroen
Old 18th May 2019, 14:51   #171
Senior - BHPian

The DPNA Code is an airline practice that could help lessen the stress of air travel for autistic children and their parents. Have posted more details in the International Air Travel thread. Hope it would be of some use to the needy.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4590793
Old 18th May 2019, 14:59   #172
Team-BHP Support

An acquaintance who has a uniquely abled child has opened this new school for children with special needs in Gurgaon.

Special Pearls School
Sector 49-50.

http://specialpearls.in/

I am not commercially involved, this is FYI for anyone who is looking out for such a school.

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd July 2019 at 19:24.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 15:26   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
my son is autistic. 4 years old. am based in Chennai.

any parents new to the world of autism, feel free to reach out for any info, queries or any assistance in Chennai. happy to help

I reply to your very old message. I am from chennai. If you still have any contacts in chennai, please let me know. Am looking for my 12 year old son .
Old 2nd July 2019, 16:25   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnagarajs View Post
I reply to your very old message. I am from chennai. If you still have any contacts in chennai, please let me know. Am looking for my 12 year old son .
Pls pm me your WhatsApp number. We can discuss there
Old 2nd July 2019, 18:21   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnagarajs View Post
If you still have any contacts in chennai, please let me know. Am looking for my 12 year old son .
If you are a new autism parent, check this video. The interviewer is Dr. Smita Awasthi, the founder of Behavior Momentum India, and one of the leading Autism expert in the country.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd July 2019 at 18:26.
Old 31st August 2019, 05:58   #176
BANNED

https://www.ruled.me/autism-ketogenic-diet/

Ketogenic diet for Autism.
Old 3rd January 2020, 13:46   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If you are a new autism parent, check this video.

Hey Samurai

I googled com deall and landed on this thread, good to know that t-bhp has a thread of ASD and thank you for that We found out about our son when he was 2 and a half year old. 2 years of ABA so far and he has only regressed. The 1st year was at Samarth Center in Pune, we saw some improvement there but the lady in charge permanently moved to the US. We also tried speech and occupational therapy when we were in Pune.

BMI in Bangalore was our next choice, relocated to Bangalore and to our surprise it was of no use. The 1.5 hours per day therapy in Pune was much better than 5 hrs per day at BMI Bangalore. Of course, this might be different for different people. BMI clearly said they have no clue why there is no improvement in our case. Forget about the improvement he has regressed further since we started BMI.

How old is your son? How is he doing now? Did the DEALL program help him? How was and is his speech after the DEALL program? At what age did you guys start the DEALL program and do you guys still do it? Do you guys use risperidone or any other meds? Any other stuff like weighted vests/blanket?

Please can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks
Sreeji
Old 3rd January 2020, 17:03   #178
Team-BHP Support

My son is 13 now, and it took 5 years before he became verbal under BMI's ABA. What we liked about BMI's ABA is they have a long term plan, and continued research on different approaches, if one approach fails. They also recommended we get OT from outside, which we did for 3 years until it was not needed.

This is not an exact science. No one knows what causes autism and no one knows how to cure it 100%. Once in a while there has been regression. It is not uncommon to take 1 step back, after two steps forward in his progress. You have to closely monitor the progress using the observation and assessment they provide. My wife does that, so we are able to constantly tweak the program to ensure there is continuous progress.

We got out of DEALL in 2011, it didn't work for us.
Old 3rd January 2020, 17:18   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
My son is 13 now, and it took 5 years before he became verbal under BMI's ABA. .
At what age did he become verbal? Was he totally non verbal before that? No words at all?

At what age was he enrolled in BMI?

Which BMI center in Bangalore?
Old 3rd January 2020, 18:09   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
At what age did he become verbal? Was he totally non verbal before that? No words at all?
When he was 3, a famous neurologist in Bangalore told us he will never speak. He did have random words, but he would never use them to speak. So at first BMI taught him sign language, which he used to communicate. After he turned 8, he started using words to communicate along with the signs. Now he uses words alone, sign is rarely used. He can recite some nursery rhymes from memory now. He can say his name, parent's names and our home address, etc.

Quote:
At what age was he enrolled in BMI?
He joined BMI in 2011, we got the 5 hour program only in 2012.

Quote:
Which BMI center in Bangalore?
HRBR center. Some times when trainer changes, his progress gets affected. But overall our experience has been positive.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks