Team-BHP - Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/79482-must-read-car-books-automotive-enthusiasts-7.html)

Got this book by James Ruppert today. Its printed in the U.K. and chronicles the downfall of the British car industry. Going bh the reviews it will make a good reading as the roots of our then fledgling Indian automobile industry are deeply connected with its British counterpart. Royal Enfield and Ashok Leyland are the only survivors from those early years.

Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts-20230606_105450.jpg

Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts-20230606_105428.jpg

The book's reviews are available on post #44 on this thread:-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...-lost-out.html

It is said that if you want to know more about a person, head to their book shelf. If this were the philosophy followed for me, one is likely to consider me as a mix of an automobile enthusiast, geek of Formula 1, interested in psychology and dipping into spirituality.

I recently started reading Guenther Steiner's book "Driving to Survive" and it struck me that I have never seen an in-depth discussion about all the books that might appeal to automobile enthusiasts on TBHP.

So here I am sharing my collection of books that might also appeal to members of this forum and happily looking forward to more from other BHPians.

These are not in any specific order or rating.

#1. Surviving to Drive - A year inside Formula 1 By Guenther Steiner

Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts-20230625_142309.jpg

Starting off with the latest read that I am on. Since i started reading it, i havent been able to put it down. In typical Guenther style, as we now know him due to Drive to Survive on Netflix, his writing style is no different to his speaking style.

He takes us through a journey through the 2022 season from his point of view, quite literally. The book feels like his personal diary that he would come back to anytime he needed to get things off his mind.

He shares a lot of details that would interest F1 fans like - How did Haas come to being, how did the Nikita and Uralkali separation go and much more that will keep you interested. All delivered in a form of humour that will only be accepted from Guenthers' mouth.

I will leave you with my favourite line from the book so far that should give you an idea - "The two things every adult has in common is an opinion and an arsehole and when the two meet, bullshit suddenly appears" rl:

#2. How to build a car By Adrian Newey

Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts-59258.jpeg

I will not be able to talk about the book without once mentioning that Adrian Newey is probably the most genius person that has ever happened to F1.
The guy's cars' have now won 200 races and 10 constructors championships.

There was no way i was going to miss out on his book. And there is absolutely no way I cannot recommend this book to any F1 fan.

Some of things that could interest you about this book - He talks about why he left Williams and why he felt they will never win a championship again (and they havent yet); he talks about the challenging 2010 and 2012 seasons and insider details through them; why Bernie is a genius, regardless of how he is; How Red Bull had to hire an agency to weed out some of their negative biased staff in the early years; and a lot more.

#3. The Cool 500 By Top Gear

Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts-20230625_120911.jpg

Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts-20230625_120950.jpg

Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts-20230625_120920.jpg

Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts-20230625_120932.jpg

Its more a coffee table book from the era when Top Gear was still the biggest thing in the motoring world and the Trio were still going strong.

The book takes each decade and picks out the best, most innovative, most influential, game changing, different cars of that decade. This includes racing cars, commuter cars, trucks, sporty cars, utility vehicles - basically anything with rubber tyres, an engine, seats and a body.

Its a book that you would love to go back to whenever you are stressed or down. just look at some cars, bask in some nostalgia and voila! You are already smiling looking at all the pictures of the cars and reading their stories.

#4. Mercedes-Benz Winning! By Adil Jal Darukhanwala

Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts-20230625_121005.jpg

Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts-20230625_121028.jpg

Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts-20230625_121047.jpg

Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts-20230625_121035.jpg

Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts-20230625_121106.jpg

Here is another considerable Coffee Table book. The book was launched at the 2016 Auto Expo. With past and present of Mercedes-Benz so well detailed including its history in India, this is one of my most proud possessions.

Hardly anyone would come close to the knowledge and the love for history of cars in Indian Auto Journalism than Adil sir, and it shows here.

For F1 fans - The early years of the F1 Hybrid era are also discussed in it.

#5. Total Competition By Ross Brawn & Adam Parr

Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts-20230625_121150.jpg

No F1 fan exists without knowing the name Michael Schumacher. And no F1 fan knew of a team leader name more than that of Ross Brawn. The Ross-Michael era has been etched in the history of F1 and will be talked about till the time our Sun decides to engulf all its planets.

And that story is just one of the many interesting stories that this book covers.

Things that may interest you in this book - Ross talks of how he came into F1; Why Michael was the No. 1 driver and not Rubens; How he had to completely overturn the Italian way of functioning to get Ferrari close to a winning cause; Life after Ferrari; comparison to F1 and the "Art of War" and much more

The book also teaches us a lot of lessons that are applicable in general life in work and even relationships.

#6. The Unknown Kimi Raikkonen By Kari Hotakainen

Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts-20230625_121251.jpg

Hah! Whoever thought writing a book on the behind the scenes life of Kimi was a genius. A man who is barely social to the cameras outside the track and has very little affinity to what people think has got to have an interesting life behind the scenes.
Does he?

Absolutely. Kari Hotakainen, not an ardent F1 enthusiast, tagged along with Kimi as he went about his daily life, on the track and off it as he penned down his biography. Widely known as the first and last authorized book on Kimi's life, the book offers insights into Kimi and an inspiration to just be yourself.

This book will give you the most detailed and in fact only possible written material on how, why, when of one of the most interesting, fast, straightforward, honest drivers in F1.

#7. Burning Rubber: The extraordinary story of F1 By Charles Jennings

Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts-20230625_121141.jpg

This is a book for you if you are a new or old Formula 1 fan. The book discussed the glorious and often chequered history of the most elite motorsport in the world.

From the lost decade of 1950s, to the rise of British constructors in 1960s, the technological advances of 1970s, the rise of stars - drivers and bosses alike in 1980s and the revolution of F1 with TV and computers in 1990s to some of today's stars; this book covers them all.

Once sucked into it, you are unlikely to come out of it till the end of the (wind) tunnel.

Happy reading people! Looking forward for more book suggestions and stories. :Cheering:

A nice thread. Here are a few of the books I have and can recommend. Will add more from the collection by and by whenever I get around to photographing them.