Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2012, 09:25   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts

Want to read a book that will blow your mind?

Senna vs Prost by Malcolm Folley

If anyone knows the art of narration, it's Folley. His style of writing is absolutely gripping and I found it VERY VERY difficult to keep the book down after lunch break everyday.

Read it even if you aren't much into Formula 1. Senna & Prost are legendary personalities who you just have to know more about.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 11:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

Wheels by Arthur Hailey. Released long ago but brings insights of the auto industry and I still have vivid memories of that book read once upon a time.
Old 25th August 2012, 07:53   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k
Wheels by Arthur Hailey. Released long ago but brings insights of the auto industry and I still have vivid memories of that book read once upon a time.
I recently read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein and the sentimental guy that I am, I cried.

A story told by a dog Enzo (?Ferrari). Enzo knows he is different. Like other dogs, he thinks you can't beat chasing birds and squirrels once in a while -- but, at the same time, he is almost human.

Thru listening to the words of his master, a racing car driver, Enzo has gained a real insight into the complex world of people. What he sees is that life, like racing isn't simply about going fast.

This extraordinary novel has captured hearts and minds and is a publishing phenomenon.

Tears and smiles

Rom
Old 1st October 2012, 20:51   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Just finished reading Lee Iacocca's Autobiograhy. was a very interesting piece of literature.

Any other recommended reading for a car buff? I dont want tech stuff. Things ordinary people can read

I'm pretty sure there is a similar thread somewhere, but couldnt find one myself. if it exists, please merge,
Thanks!
One of my all time favourites.I never get tired reading the CEO's autobiography. His family's entry into the USA from Italy, the settlement , his initial years at Ford and so on. The Ford Mustang story and how Mr Lee made it an iconic car is vintage Iacocca. The touching part is about the mental trauma he faced at the hands of Henry Ford II, whose eccentricity made Mr Lee vacate his plush office and get posted to an obscure building to an obscure post. His family's support all through and how he had to quit the job at Ford were touching.
The turnaround at Chrysler also makes quite an interesting reading as one can gauge how a loss making, full of fat and deadwood institution is trimmed and made profit making.
Something about Mr lee Iacocca here:

Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts-picture-308.jpg

(from Forbes/ Metropolis on Saturday 17-18 Dec 1994)
Old 10th January 2013, 16:00   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just got my copy of Mary Walton's Car : A Drama of the American Workplace . After a LONG time, I'm reading a traditional paper book (am a diehard Kindle fan). But this book just never made it to the digital format.

It comes highly recommended from various folk. I honestly want to leave work and get started right away!

Amazon Link
Old 31st January 2013, 10:18   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just got my copy of Mary Walton's Car : A Drama of the American Workplace
Completed.

Outstanding book if you want to know how cars are made (design, production, the people factor, technicalities etc.).

On the other hand, if you are looking at the business & management side of things, you'll be disappointed. Consider the other options on this thread instead (Iacocca, Maruti, Once Upon a Car etc.).
Old 26th February 2013, 22:26   #37
ACS
BHPian

Quote:
Completed.

Outstanding book if you want to know how cars are made (design, production, the people factor, technicalities etc.).

On the other hand, if you are looking at the business & management side of things, you'll be disappointed. Consider the other options on this thread instead (Iacocca, Maruti, Once Upon a Car etc.).
GTO, I have been looking for a car book "The Book of Car" by Readers Digest. As per my dad, it is a 80's book and very well organized collection for every car enthusiasts. I have searched in Internet, but no luck. Do you have any idea on this book? I have asked this in the Book thread under Shifting Gears but no response received yet.
Thanks in advance.
Old 4th March 2013, 18:34   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS View Post
GTO, I have been looking for a car book "The Book of Car" by Readers Digest. As per my dad, it is a 80's book and very well organized collection for every car enthusiasts. I have searched in Internet, but no luck. Do you have any idea on this book? I have asked this in the Book thread under Shifting Gears but no response received yet.
Thanks in advance.
It's a good book but a bit dated for current automotive technicalities. Most cars depicted are old models, however the mechanical section would be fairly relevant as is the section on good driving technique. Was one of the best when launched.

Incidentally, Reader's Digest itself downed it's shutters last month after being referred to Chapter 11 in the US.
Old 4th March 2013, 20:15   #39
ACS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Incidentally, Reader's Digest itself downed it's shutters last month after being referred to Chapter 11 in the US.
Thanks VeyronSuperSprt for the response!

Is there anyway to get a soft copy(I know none of the download links is working)from anyone in the Team-BHP? Not sure, but it will be great if it happens so.
Old 4th March 2013, 20:20   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS View Post

Thanks VeyronSuperSprt for the response!

Is there anyway to get a soft copy(I know none of the download links is working)from anyone in the Team-BHP? Not sure, but it will be great if it happens so.
Damn, my mum gave my old old off to my nephew last week
Old 11th March 2013, 10:18   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On the other hand, if you are looking at the business & management side of things, you'll be disappointed.
I was disappointed with Mary Walton's Car and needed a good "car book" dose. Started reading The Maruti Story : RC Bhargava again This time, on the Kindle (now available as an e-book on Amazon & Flipkart).

The Maruti Story is a must-read for any Indian petrolhead.

Last edited by GTO : 11th March 2013 at 10:22.
Old 9th December 2013, 14:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coffee Table Books (Automotive & Others)

my micro collection of coffee table books
  • Royal Enfield coffee table book
  • Mahindra Scorpio coffee table book
  • Apollo Tyres Driving off the map coffee table book
  • Land Rover File - 65th Anniversary Edition: All Models Since 1947
I am looking out for XUV5OO coffee table book. Neither book stores nor Mahindra seem to have any info it. I put in a request on thier website but all i get is a call telling me they will get back.

They have info on XUV5OO but not on XUV5OO Coffee table book.

Any help appreciated. I am looking to buy one. Even second hand in okay condition is fine.
Old 25th March 2014, 10:09   #43
BHPian

Finished reading "I invented the Modern Age" by Richard Snow. It is a biography on Henry Ford!

I picked it up since I like reading non-fiction and the title seemed to be very interesting but the book did not keep up!

Some sections about car history and it's development in America were very interesting - like; The Selden Suit, Development of the Internal Combustion Engine and of course the Ford Model T, the Rogue Plant among some other events.

However, on the whole I found going through the book a little tiresome and towards the end just wanted it to finish. Also the book exposes some of Ford's eccentricities and his stubborn unwillingness to change the Model T in any way, which seemed to punch too many holes in a figure that I admire.
Old 15th October 2014, 16:59   #44
Team-BHP Support

Gautam Sen has come out with a new book called A Million Cars for A Billion People. The book takes us through the history and evolution of the people's car in the Indian automobile scene.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Old 16th October 2014, 12:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hi Everyone, is there a book which can help a novice come up to speed with the mechanics of an automobile. So a one stop book which can clearly explain in basic terms (but still being technical) how does an engine work, what are the basic parts and their functions, how does the steering system, the transmission, suspension etc work?

I know internet is the best for such learnings, what with videos, voice overs etc. But it helps to have all this information in publish form to read anytime.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks