Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 12:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Must-Read Car Books for automotive enthusiasts

Just finished reading Lee Iacocca's Autobiograhy. was a very interesting piece of literature.

Any other recommended reading for a car buff? I dont want tech stuff. Things ordinary people can read

I'm pretty sure there is a similar thread somewhere, but couldnt find one myself. if it exists, please merge,
Thanks!
Old 13th April 2010, 14:19   #2
BHPian

I absolutely love "The Motorcycle Diaries" by Che Guevara. Both the book and the movie makes me wanna get on my bike and ride away exploring the unknown.

and who can forget the Norton which they take through South America.
Old 13th April 2010, 15:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornin70s View Post
I absolutely love "The Motorcycle Diaries" by Che Guevara.
I couldn't find the movie+motorcycle so interesting; the motorcycle had to be dumped off in between & appears only upto half of the movie. They were on a motorcycle trip, agreed, saw many people suffering, stayed many places, travelled to lengths & breadth of South America, fine. But to me, the point the movie conveyed was nothing related to motorcycle.
Old 13th April 2010, 15:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you're a motorsports fan, try Lewis Hamilton's biography by Mark Hughes. Its fantastic stuff and it covers his career right up to the end of 2007.
Old 13th April 2010, 17:07   #5
BHPian

aargee, the movie indeed has nothing to do with motorcycles in any case..that is just incidental, the point being how Ché the budding doctor sees his continent up close for the first time and finds the applaing state some of the people are in. This particular trip is what makes him into the revolutionary he later would go on to be.

Mclaren - Lewis's bio till 2007 which was his first year in F1? It should be interesting but should not the bio have come out near the end of his career rather than his debut year?

I would also recommend Enzo Ferrari's bio by Richard Williams (I think!)
Old 13th April 2010, 19:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Mclaren - Lewis's bio till 2007 which was his first year in F1? It should be interesting but should not the bio have come out near the end of his career rather than his debut year?
I guess there'll be another one when he retires but that'll be all about his F1 career. What this book does is explain how he manages to come from a middle class average family and makes it into F1. The beauty about ending at 2007 is that it leaves you at a point from where you know how the story unfolds.
Old 14th April 2010, 12:42   #7
Team-BHP Support

Here's a suggestion : Link

And here's a thread for the more technical books if others are interested : LINK

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th April 2010 at 12:49.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2010, 12:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Here's a suggestion : Link

Michael Schumacher- The Edge of Greatness by James Allen. Written after his retirement ( Well hes back now)

Ferrari 50 Years - 1947 to 1997. This is a big book. Must read if you are a Ferrari fan. has info on road and F1 cars till 1997 including cut out diagrams.

Last edited by Dippy : 14th April 2010 at 12:47.
Old 14th April 2010, 15:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

@Greenhorn: I can suggest two books common people can read: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert M Pirsig and
The Betsy - Harold Robbins. Have read anotehr couple of novels with automobile/motors sports theme, but never liked them much -will update if I remember anything else.

Last edited by theexperthand : 14th April 2010 at 15:06.
Old 14th April 2010, 15:20   #10
BHPian

Check out the following novel : A Thousand Miles from Nowhere: Trucking Two Continents

Quote:
Once upon a time even our goods and wares travelled romantically. Bales of tea, rolls of silk, jars of spices were dispersed across the oceans in East India Company schooners and clippers. But modern goods are now moved by trucks, with one man taking his truck, possibly all the way across Europe, alone, responsible for perhaps a quarter of a million pounds worth of goods. Across Eastern Europe, where customs regulations change every week, where on one run fuel might be short in Rumania or fighting have broken out in Yugoslavia. This book looks at the trucking experiences of the author.
Old 15th April 2010, 11:36   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Greenhorn, Iacocca's autobiography is a fantastic read indeed!

Check "Jurgen Schrempp: Making of an Auto Dynasty" out and "Taken for a Ride : How Daimler-Benz Drove Off With Chrysler".

You'll also enjoy "The Toyota Way" (HIGHLY recommended), "Michael Schumacher: The Ferrari Years" and the old classic "Jeremy Clarkson on Cars".

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2012 at 10:19.
Old 15th April 2010, 11:42   #12
JVH
Senior - BHPian

The Toyota Way - Jeffery Liker
Wheels - Arthur Hailey
Betsy - Harold Robbins
Biography of Henry Ford
My years with General Motors - Alfred Sloan
Old 9th May 2010, 20:29   #13
BHPian

I am not sure whether this should be posted in some other thread and if so, pls move it to the appropriate thread, has anyone tried Flipkart.com: Buy Books Online @ Book Store in India: Online Bookstore ? All the books mentioned in this thread seem to be available there. Or at least they would import it for us. I'm looking forward to reading Clarkson on cars and James Allen work on Schumi.
Old 24th June 2010, 09:12   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here is a MUST-READ book for any Indian car enthusiast

The Maruti Story : RC Bhargava
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 15:22   #15
BHPian

Coffee Table Books (Automotive & Others)

Hi Bhp'ians,
In a lot of posts our fellow bhp'ians have mentioned about 'Coffee Table Books' they collect, but I could not find a thread dedicated to it. So I am starting this thread. There are various categories of books both Automotive and Others.

Automotive for e.g.: classics cars, sports and super cars, Muscle Cars, Cars driven by Maharaja's, Based on Famous Brands, Famous Models, F1 etc etc.

Others: Art, Food, County, Cities etc. etc.

Request all to post their collection, wish list etc. and pictures of at-least the cover page so as to not break any copyrights issues. I have recently started collecting automotive related books and will post the details soon.

Mods: If a similar thread already exists or you do not find this thread useful please take necessary action.

Most Viewed