Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2010, 14:26   #1
BHPian

Sentimental attachment VS Practical approach

I believe many of you would have guessed what the thread talks about. Ill get it straight. There comes a time when the discussions about buying a new car begin in a family. Theres an old car standing in the porch which some of the family members want to exchange for a new one. Some go against and express their willingness to keep the old car and cherish it, even if it costs them recurring expenditure on maintenance.

Practical approach VS Sentimental attachment.

So the question is, how many of you are sentimentally attached to your car? You can also share some related stories or personal experiences.
Old 14th April 2010, 14:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

lovely thread

yes! i am very sentimental about our cars with a pratical approach attached.

Due to our sentimental attachment, our 1988 Padmini still continues to be a part of the family - though my mom, bro, wifey and in-laws are against us (me and my dad) keeping it and spending more than the re-sale value of the car.

the practical approach was when we got an M800 in 1998, sold it in 2009 and bought a Hyundai Getz in the same year.

Wait till the FIAT lovers pounce on this thread
Old 14th April 2010, 15:13   #3

In my case, there are alot of old cars lying in too many porches all over the place!! But, sadly, at the moment, that is all we have. The LHD is the most modern car of my stable..Believe it or not!!

But the Bolero is coming soon, so I guess there is your dose of practicality. Wish I could get a punto though....
Old 14th April 2010, 15:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe many of you would have guessed what the thread talks about. Ill get it straight. There comes a time when the discussions about buying a new car begin in a family. Theres an old car standing in the porch which some of the family members want to exchange for a new one. Some go against and express their willingness to keep the old car and cherish it, even if it costs them recurring expenditure on maintenance.
This has been the case with the OHC VTEC for the past 3-4 years.

I made it very clear in the begining that i will only part with it the day they can find a car that is quicker, more FE, more revv happy, cheaper to maintain and more fun to drive.

4 years down, they're still waiting and the VTEC keeps getting better with every passing year. LOL

So, i've used practical conditions to retain my sentimental attachment. Hehe

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 14th April 2010 at 15:33.
Old 14th April 2010, 15:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

In my case too its a Premier Padmini or better known as a FIAT!

My Fiat has been a very sentimental car and even though we faced many issues with the car like spares, parking place etc we still have the car. Recently we spent 60k and built a garage for my Fiat.

Every body in our house loves the car. Its the car which i started driving, used for all my three sisters' wedding and many more memories.

Thanks to my Fiat that I have been the founder member of Fiat 1100 Club Bangalore! Recently I bought one more Fiat!!

For practical reasons I have a Alto and a Fiat Linea soon.
Old 14th April 2010, 15:43   #6
BANNED

Fiat rocks!

Yeah Fiat 1100 is My Life! I still have my good old Fiat for all the sentimental, emotional and practical reasons.

All my Fiats run just very fine like a modern car. These cars are just part of my life.

For more practical daily use I own a Fiat Punto!
Old 14th April 2010, 15:48   #7
BANNED

Nothing moves you like a Fiat 1100!

Fiats have a integral part of my life. I too am the founder of Fiat 1100 Club Bangalore. My dad's Santro is parked on the dusty road, but my Fiat is parked neatly in my compound.

Sentimentally attached to my Family since 1978. This is one beast of a car. Very reliable.

For more practical use I have booked a Punto and waiting for it's delivery.
Old 14th April 2010, 15:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Fiats/Premier Padmini and 118 NE has been the sentimental cars in my family. I just admire these characteristic beauties and the way they perform flawlessly.

For me these cars are more practical than the new gen cars as they are easy to maintain.

Parking has been a problem, but still I managae them.

Yes, I too am one of the four Founders of Fiat 1100 Club Bangalore.

Last edited by funkykar : 14th April 2010 at 15:54.
Old 14th April 2010, 16:23   #9
BHPian

My family has an M800, which also is the very first car in the family. Its just 7 years old and still running as fine as any other car. It competes with the 'City's' and the 'Esteem's' believe me. Whenever there are talks about exchanging it with a new one.. I am there to defend.

Its the car I learnt driving in. Its the car we have been using for every road trip. Its the car that I have cared for so much. Its the car that I touched 125kmph in. Its the car I took for my first date. Its the car I brought my wife home in. Its the car that took 9 passengers to a destination on one occasion. Its the car that we used to shift all our furniture and other stuff to our new house. I love it. As simple as that.

M800 rocks. And I personally am an antique lover. When I save enough money, I plan to buy a 118 NE, a Tata Sierra, and also a 1100D that is most talked about in this thread. I believe I'll have enough of my owned parking space by then.

Last edited by qqplus : 14th April 2010 at 16:28.
Old 14th April 2010, 17:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Our family has in the past actually displayed practical approach, they have sold cars, even for scrap.

However the Fiat has surprisingly lived on. It gathered some sentimental bonding, for no solid reason known to us, but we actually keep it safe, we (even the youngest in our family) can't think of parting with it. Even standing quietly inside our garage, its an entity. It has been a sparingly used car for the initial 30 years of its life, for a few years it was inoperational, however something must have prevented my folks from selling it off. Maybe everyone has a good memory attachment with it.

The Ikon, in its 6th year, is also beginning to feel as family. Its been a good car so far. I know when its time to get another car, I will just get it without need to sell anything. However, I somehow dont feel the Ikon will last as long as the Fiat did.
Old 14th April 2010, 19:06   #11
BHPian

Can we relate it to the very common 'Old Songs : New Songs' battle?

Can one say that though the new cars keep coming in, with fantastic performance, superb features, and splendid looks... they lack 'character'. Or if they do have a character, it certainly isnt as strong as that of the older cars.
Old 14th April 2010, 19:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well my family owned only Fiats till 2005. We used them as daily drives. Fiats ranging from a 1100D to padmini deluxe to S1. Padmini deluxe and S1 were owned together for sometime(around 2.5 yrs) till we got shifted to our new house and sold off the old deluxe. Although some very rare sentiments were attached to it, we thought of retaining the S1 more because of the practicality. Even on its D day(the day deluxe was sold) it got punctured in morning and we changed her tyre for the last time. She was sold for 30K and was bought by the person to serve as a taxi for Mumbai citizens.
S1 has completed around 14.2 years with us and again the question was raised to sell her off to make way for the new car. Luckily a strong inclination from my side saved her from the chisels. After all a Fiat is a fiat. Till date clocked around 87K on odo, stands at the position of an elder car for our young acquisitions. Plan to restore her to originality later this year.(if vitamin M is not consumed in buying vitamin B,C for myself)
Old 16th April 2010, 22:48   #13
BHPian

wow a lot of fiats there !
Old 16th April 2010, 23:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

My Palio 1.2 sport.
I dont know why when ever i think of replacing it for a newer car, i just need to give it one look and she's like "please don't sell me i love you".
I dont know what to do!! Damm you Tata service for making me even think of selling her.
Old 21st July 2011, 13:49   #15
BANNED

Re: Sentimental attachment VS Practical approach

Interesting! all you guys have the convenience of a newer car for everyday driving, then what sentiment are you talking about? Your old fiats wont fetch you more than 50K anyways so whats the big deal in keeping them?

If you drive these old beauties as your only daily car refusing to get enticed by the trappings of their newer cousins then theres a point.

Most Viewed