Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 17:17   #31
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...but watch as the news is changing to criticism of the restrictions, claims that it is actually safe after all etc etc. Well, lets hope, when financial concerns put those planes back in the air, that they stay in the air!
Can the desperation of a dwindling bank balance, justify loss of faith in technology?

Will they fly their turbine engines into the sandblasting clouds of obsidian and crushed pumice on a wing and a prayer?

...What a show, what a fight, boys
We really hit our target for tonight
How we sing as we limp through the air
Look below, there's our field over there
With just one motor gone
We can still carry on
Comin' in on a wing and a prayer

Music: Jimmy McHugh
Lyrics: Harold Adamson

Ram
Old 19th April 2010, 17:37   #32
BHPian

My parents and other 10 people are going on 29th of April for Europe tour and this volcanic eruption is not cleared even today. I hope everything will be cleared before this.
Old 19th April 2010, 18:45   #33
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
...and this volcanic eruption is not cleared even today. I hope everything will be cleared before this.
Mankind has not yet invented a blower big enough to blow the particulate obsidian and granite dust away. Remember that the cloud is a couple of kilometers thick and hundred kilometers or so, wide.

And we are nowhere near mastery over volcanoes, earthquakes, tornadoes, cyclones, tidal waves and tsunamis. Not even avalanches and droughts.

The most developed nations in the world still fall prey to wildfires.
In a place like Los Angeles, California, a fire burns for fifty-two days
from 26th August 2009 to 16th October 2009, consuming over 1,60,000 acres including 209 buildings and 89 homes.

In the field of aviation, we still don't even know what caused the
loss of Air-France Airbus-A330 flight AF447 off the coast of South America.

Out of 228 souls on board, we recovered 51 bodies and called off the search one month later.
All we have to lean on, is a mere suspicion of the air-speed pitot tubes.

We haven't even learned to cure AIDS and Cancer.

A volcanic eruption is a major event that affects parts of our planet for years. Can we expect life to return to normalcy in a few weeks ?

Mastery far away, when will we even learn how to cope ?
Old 19th April 2010, 18:55   #34
BHPian

I had booked a ticket for LHR-DXB today, but by last friday I had a feeling that the flight would be cancelled and hence I booked another two tickets for 23rd and 25th.

And rightly so, since today my agent told me that the cancelled flight tickets can be reissued only for a flight after the 27th , even if the flight ban is lifted tomorrow.

Now I am getting ready for the long wait for the refund and this would be a longer wait than the current delay!!!. Emirates says it would take anywhere between 8 weeks to 7 months for the money to be credited

If the ban is lifted before 23rd , I will take the 23rd or else I will pray that I make to the 25th . God help us all if it is still not lifted by then.

The chances of us winning an outsourcing manufacturing contract against an existing British supplier is slimming day by day.

Last edited by artofzen : 19th April 2010 at 19:01.
Old 19th April 2010, 19:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

I won't fly to Europe in near future even if ban is lifted - don't want to take a chance.
Old 19th April 2010, 19:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone here stuck with a canceled BA flight? My sis in law and family were supposed to return to the UK on friday morning but they have been stuck here. The local BA people are clueless. We are hearing that Lufthansa and Jet will be flying additional flights to clear the backlog, but so such info from BA. The only options BA has give are 1)Re-book as per availability 2) Cancel and take refund. And it looks like re-booking may cost 3 times as much as what they originally paid. They are desperate to return as they are both Docs and have to perform surgeries that have been scheduled months in advance.
Old 19th April 2010, 20:35   #37
BHPian

Slight Optmistic News!!! - A part of northern UK airspace is being opened "temporarily" from 0700 Tuesday 20th April. Major airports included is Edinburgh, Glasgow, Newcastle.
Old 19th April 2010, 20:38   #38
Senior - BHPian

Is this on the east-west corridor? West-east corridor (US origin flights) to Scotland was opened over the weekend itself.

EDIT: Just googled this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...-tomorrow.html

The larger airports in London need to open to handle long distance jumbo jets. Hopefully they will do that in a couple of days considering that those test flights went off without a hitch. And it seems the UK Govt is sending a couple of warships to Spain to pick up stranded passengers!

Last edited by Gilead : 19th April 2010 at 20:42.
Old 19th April 2010, 20:41   #39
BHPian

DOnt know about that. But according to reports , no flights landed or took off from Scotland over the weekend.
Old 19th April 2010, 22:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

I heard that some flights to Europe have resumed, but are connecting flights to India available?
Old 20th April 2010, 01:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

Unless someone wants to fly via Bangkok, Singapore or someplace in China, there are no suitable ones to India. Between tonight and tomorrow night, Lufthansa is managing to get some long-distance flights into Frankfurt. From where I am, I can see some flights landing. They have a list published on their website which lists the few flights they will be operating on April 19 and 20 - alas none to India.
Old 20th April 2010, 11:46   #42
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Symbiotically, How far do the consequences reach?

Refrigerated godowns at the Nairobi airport, Kenya and on Kenyan farms are now completely packed choc-a-bloc.

The Kenyans have borne drought, El Niño E. Pacific ocean surface temperature change and the post-election violence,
but volcanic ash from Iceland (8,500 km away!)??

If flights don't resume today, much more agri-produce will have to be thrown away as garbage.

Ah, how connected and interdependent is the world we live in today!
Old 20th April 2010, 12:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I won't fly to Europe in near future even if ban is lifted - don't want to take a chance.
I would surely fly to Europe and pray that I am stuck there
Old 20th April 2010, 12:23   #44
BHPian

Too many earthquakes and volcanos recently. Wonder what is happening!!
Do the CERN activities have anything to do with this?
Old 20th April 2010, 12:41   #45

I got a suprise when i went to pay for my ticket yesterday.I was planning to buy a ticket for 21st april delhi-hong kong-auckland. The agent told me i should wait 2-3 days for things to clear up. All this time i was thinking my travel plans wouldnt be affected by the volcanic ash. So i came home and now im trying to find out if its safe to fly because i dont want to stranded at hong kong airport.

Tried ringing CX main office in hong kong but could not get clear cut answers.

Most Viewed