Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2010, 21:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

I believe Bangalore police is not very well equipped to handle situations like these. After 2 blasts yesterday, they found one live bomb and diffused it. After close to 20 hours they find 2 more near some of the gatesc. How could they miss it yesterday? Only after the combing operation was complete, did the police gave a go ahead for the match to happen. Wonder how well they combed the vicinity.

It might have been better if the match was cancelled and speactators were sent back. What if couple more blasts had occurred at 8PM? There would have been more injuries, which wouldnt have been a good sign.

Are we just forgetting that 2 live bombs were still around when the spectators walked off the ground after the match?

Last edited by funkykar : 18th April 2010 at 21:05.
Old 18th April 2010, 23:09   #17
BHPian

If I recollect correctly, Bangalore has a peculiar habit of escaping several bombing attempts in the past with minimal damage like yesterday, sheerly by its own luck and not due to bravery or efforts of the authorities. The planted bombs failed to explode all by its own and wasn't detected by the police till morning, which in effect is lapse of security.

IMO, yesterday's match should have been called off or rescheduled rather than putting the lives of players and spectators in danger under the preceding circumstances. I am sure there would be more protests due to this decision in future along with causing long term damage by instilling fears in foreign cricketers to take part in the next edition of this tournament irrespective of its financial attractions.

However, considering the current situation I totally appreciate and agree with shifting of venue to Navi Mumbai. Its high time the police here get properly trained and equipped for future emergencies than ride this wave of luck for far too long. This year has been a big testing one for authorities of Bangalore with respect to Bomb, Fire etc., who till now have been found lacking. Hope the trend ends and the residents of Bangalore would feel safe here again sooner than later in the times to come.
Old 19th April 2010, 10:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

The fact that the match took place and there were more bombs found after that goes to show the commercial interest, the public safety concerns and common sense by public.

Forget it instead of getting my brains racked on every blast, can we have a seperate tread dedicated to blasts ? This is becoming more and more common and what more the people have started taking this as a part an parcel of life.

I had booked tickets for the first semi-finals. Can I get a refund for the same ?
Old 19th April 2010, 10:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

I feel it is unfair to move the semis out of Bangalore.

Yes, I agree that it was a security lapse and should have been avoided. The match was played inspite of the explosions on saturday. That itself was a clear message to the trouble makers that the show will go on.

Now, by shifting the matches out of Bangalore, what is the IPL trying to convey here? That Bangalore is an unsafe venue? In this case, why would any player agree to come and play in Bangalore in the future.

This is not the ICC we are talking about here, not the world cup. If the IPL, a so-called domestic tournament in India does not want to hold matches here, then why would anybody want to play a world cup match here?? So, why not play the whole IPL/World Cup in DY Patil stadium?

The city police commissioner has told that they were not consulted before the decision to shift the semis was taken. I'm not sure how true that is, but if the police have given the go-ahead, I'm sure they would have had to agree.

I'm not trying to defend what the police did here. It was a serious security lapse and the persons who are behind this should be dealt with seriously.

But, trust in the police is very important for a tournament like this. If you do not trust the police in this matter, whichever city it maybe, how do you expect to run a tournament, especially in a country like India.

I feel it is more of politics than a security issue. I feel the same for Hyderabad too which was denied matches.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:30   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

The irony is, after the blasts, Bangalore is now a much safer venue than ANY other city in India.

Wonder how the geniuses who run the IPL can overlook this simple fact!
Old 19th April 2010, 14:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
The irony is, after the blasts, Bangalore is now a much safer venue than ANY other city in India.

Wonder how the geniuses who run the IPL can overlook this simple fact!

I completely agree. I am sure some politics were involved with the shifting of matches. Bangalore has always been and will be a much safer place for any sport. Just that our Police needs better equipment and training in handling these situations. Thank god no one lost their lives
Old 19th April 2010, 14:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

I wonder when we will start using the damn cameras to monitor densely crowded areas and specific areas where high profile events are organised. They are cheap, easier to monitor (from inside a comfortable room) and can record.
Old 19th April 2010, 18:13   #23
BHPian

the one thing I didn't understand is what's the point of shifting the venue?
firstly the match went on without any hiccups in spite of the blasts
secondly,
if it can happen here, why cant it happen in DY patil or any other stadium across India?
how does the blast prove the city is unsafe? It didn't happen inside the stadium right? THEN it would be a security lapse! but it happened outside, any tom, dick or harry across the country can blast a bomb in the middle of the road where there is general public.
This has nothing to do with the fact that i waited for 3 hours to buy my ticket and the venue shifted(because not only will i get a refund, but the team that i wanted to qualify(delhi) didnt even make it ) but I didn't understand the justification to shift the venue
Old 19th April 2010, 19:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

I feel there is something fishy with this low intensity blasts and the shifting of venues.
Old 19th April 2010, 19:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I feel there is something fishy with this low intensity blasts and the shifting of venues.
+1. The IPL committee itself is a question mark.
Old 19th April 2010, 20:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

^^ Someone would have claimed responsibilty by now.
Forget that: How do I get my tickets money back. And all 1500 of it ?
Any idea folks ?
Old 19th April 2010, 20:05   #27
BHPian

it's come in the papers that the officials have promised a refund, but I'm not sure how to go about getting the same, Please update if anyone gets any info on the same!
Old 19th April 2010, 20:08   #28
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
+1. The IPL committee itself is a question mark.
Whoa. I cannot believe this. Time to stop watching IPL, for me atleast.

Police probing if IPL 'betting lobby' behind Bangalore blasts - India - The Times of India
Old 19th April 2010, 20:18   #29
BANNED

i have no idea why the crowd near the blast area have been misleaded saying its a generator blast. Not many people were aware about that blast happened and were inside the stadium. Thank god people were safe. Our authorities were busy selling tickets
Old 19th April 2010, 21:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Betting racket, insider job (read organizers) are the rumors doing rounds. All roads are leading to politics. Looks like some other games are being played in the name of cricket.

There are people injured in the blasts. Value of life is so low? People being used as pawns?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks