Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:23   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
Hold a lit candle near it (about 10-12cms away will also do), take a dio, aim it at the spider and spray into through the flame. There you have it... burnt to death. Works with roaches too. Instant kill
Hey I always wanted to see this (just to see flame) but dropped the idea fearing that this may burst the dio can. May be stupid but Is it safe?
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

I find it funny when I hear people are scared of Spiders and other insects and then I think of Snakes and I know what that means . I really scared of snakes and even had nightmares of snake encounters in my dreams before. Oh yeah, I don't even visit them inside those glass cages in the Zoo.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 22nd April 2010 at 14:45.
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
II really scared of snakes and even had nightmares of snake encounters in my dreams before. Oh yeah, I don't even visit them inside those glass cages in the Zoo.
You're probably having Ophidiophobia - Fear of snakes
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:36   #34
BHPian

Man o Man. Is this some sort of De-ja-vu or what. I myself am a big time arachnophobian. Just came back from a trip to Dharamshala ( went for watching the Kings 11 Punjab matches). I stayed at a place called Clouds End Villa which is owned by the Maharaja of Kangra. Heavenly place with beautiful royal rooms, but with so much of greenery that these things ( ) cannot be avoided. So here I was in the washroom of my room specifically checking for them and I found one sitting on the window sill. I immediately called my Wife to kill it but she just shooed it away.
During the three days i spent there, I must have seen many of the same species there and by the time we were to leave, everybody in my group knew and were teasing me about this phobia. Even the waiters had started making comments.
I am glad to meet other people who share the same fear i do ( BTW i never knew that there is a term for this)
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Arachnophobia
EDIT: As I write this, the dead body of one spider started moving - a bunch of ants are taking it home for dinner.
Bro, this is the single most hilarious thread I've come across.

I too kill these kind of spiders at my granny's place, but never was afraid of them.

I Love and have dogs, but my worst nightmare is being attacked by a pack of stray dogs. An incident kick started this fear since I witnessed a lone pedestrian being attacked. I think you know that story.

Quote:
Hold a lit candle near it (about 10-12cms away will also do), take a dio, aim it at the spider and spray into through the flame. There you have it... burnt to death. Works with roaches too. Instant kill
Dude, Isn't it better to use a Hit with the extra-long nozzle instead of the deo ?

Because,
- Your hands will be in a safe distance from the flame
- Even if the candle is put out by the force, the pesticide will kill it. i.e a Sure Shot !
- If using a deo and it misses the fire and the spidey happens to be a female, The 'Axe effect' will work out and the spidey will follow sunil wherever he go resulting in his worst of nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
@Clevermax Talking about spiders I had taken a picture of this spider around my house few months back , it was not as huge as the one you have posted but looks huge , I think it was taken in macro mode. I am guessing it was around 6cms to 10 cms. Forget about spiders and lizards people here ( including us ) are not even scared of snakes in Nagarabhavi ( the place I stay )
Sheesh ! That is 'some' heavy duty spider there. Looks Imported ! Ones I saw only in Zoos abroad, Chinese cookery shows and Fear Factor. Nice pic !
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
You're probably having Ophidiophobia - Fear of snakes
Thanks, i didn't know the name. And seems that I actually have this phobia according to the wiki -->

Quote:
Care must also be taken to differentiate people who do not like snakes or fear them for their venom or the inherent danger involved. A ophidiophobic would not only fear them when in live contact but also dreads to think about them or even see them on TV or in pictures.. from wiki
and I don't like to see them on TV, although I don't get that scared. Even with the live one I don't run away but I experience a very uneasy feeling seeing them.
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Clevermax,
I love spiders.That is such a beautiful specimen. It's got long slender legs and that lovely grey black pattern that probably acts as camouflage in an urban environment. I'm glad to know that you didn't kill it.
If I have no phobia (not just fear or hatred) I'd have had the same opinion. for me, they look ugly and dangerous (though they are not). But hey, who said I didn't kill them? Killed two out of three.

Quote:
Most spiders found in India are absolutely harmless to humans. In fact they keep the fly, mosquito, ant population in control and indirectly reduce the spread of diseases amongst us humans.
Correct, they are part of the eco system, and not having them around will cause problems. But, what to do, I just can't be with them.

Quote:
and arachnophopbia is totally irrational. My GF is a big time arachnophobic. Many a times I have almost gone into cardiac arrest after a bloodcurdling shriek from her, only to find that she saw an itsy-bitsy spider.
Be it irrational or not, an Archnophobe will have his/her fears. That's why it is termed as phobia rather than fear.. It can't explained easily to a person having no phobia.

Quote:
For arachnophobics I recommend that you guys be put in a big glass box (a la fear factor) and have thousand of spiders poured on top of you. Trust me you will stop being afraid of spiders after that. I've tried to have my GF volunteer many times but strangely she's very reluctant.
Then the Archnophobe will probably have a cardiac arrest and die. This can't be done to a phobic person all of a sudden. The treatment has to be gradual and I don't think one will ever reach this stage to face it
It's not very easy to do away with such phobias. forget about it, even a person having no phobia will think twice if he is asked to pick one such huge & fast spider with his hands. Just imagine one such thing running up on your legs, and that too very fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
I find it funny when I hear people are scared of Spiders and other insects and then I think of Snakes and I know what that means . I really scared of snakes and even had nightmares of snake encounters in my dreams before. Oh yeah, I don't even visit them inside those glass cages in the Zoo.
I fear snakes, only because they have venom. I don't have a phobia. Fearing something and having phobia is totally different.

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd April 2010 at 18:54.
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

Looks like you guys missed out the therapy posted here
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

@Scrorcher
Hit doesn't kill these spiders. They still get away.
Old 22nd April 2010, 19:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

The picture of world's largest spider, The Goliath bird-eater. The picture is taken from this site.

Spiders - Any Arachnophobes in here?-gedspider02.jpg

If I encounter such a large one inside my house, I'd just abandon the house.

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd April 2010 at 19:04.
Old 22nd April 2010, 19:08   #41
Senior - BHPian

I like spiders and so does my kid. She sings Incy Wincy whenever she seens one. In fact, I even ate a spider fried by a nice Cambodian/Vietnamese gentleman once. Didn't exactly taste like chicken, but it didn't make me gag either.
Old 22nd April 2010, 19:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

This is how I kill spiders at home:
Take a mug of water and mix soap (powder or even bathing soap). When the water is sufficiently concentrated with soap, throw it on the spider. You might need some cleaning after killing the spider, but still it's better than running behind the spider with a broom.
I have never tried spraying a spider with soap water (using the sprayer for spraying clothes), but I think it should also work.
Old 22nd April 2010, 19:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Remember, spiders are our friends and arachnophopbia is totally irrational. My GF is a big time arachnophobic. Many a times I have almost gone into cardiac arrest after a bloodcurdling shriek from her, only to find that she saw an itsy-bitsy spider.

I think the best cure for any phobia is to face your fears. Just plunge into the abyss headfirst and you will emerge victorious. For arachnophobics I recommend that you guys be put in a big glass box (a la fear factor) and have thousand of spiders poured on top of you. Trust me you will stop being afraid of spiders after that. I've tried to have my GF volunteer many times but strangely she's very reluctant.
not that fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Then the Archnophobe will probably have a cardiac arrest and die. This can't be done to a phobic person all of a sudden. The treatment has to be gradual and I don't think one will ever reach this stage to face it
It's not very easy to do away with such phobias. forget about it, even a person having no phobia will think twice if he is asked to pick one such huge & fast spider with his hands. Just imagine one such thing running up on your legs, and that too very fast.
one thing that may work is introduction of a bigger fear. say, you see a spider ready jump on an open circuit that might cause a short circuit and you have a gas cylinder leaking in the house, or a scorpion is ready to sting your loved ones when they are not aware of it's presence, you will lose all phobias and jump into the scene.

I guess that' how villagers develop a strong heart. after all, it's all in the head, right? Obviously I am not saying create such a situation for yourself
Old 22nd April 2010, 19:46   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
I guess you are talking about the type of spider in the movie Home Alone where that kid had one of those as a pet.
Yep thats the one ,you are right it's kept as a pet in USA.

Actually was reading stuff off the net and found out there are some Tarantula species native to INDIA . I did not know we had Tarantula species in India!!

Some of them are

Indian Ornamental

Indian Violet

Fringed ornamental

Salem Ornamental

Redslate Ornamental

Mysore Ornamental

Bengal Ornamental

More Info on the link below.

Phong's Tarantulas! - The Indian ornamental Trantula (Poecilotheria regalis)

I'm sorry to all arachnophobics , but I love insects !
Old 22nd April 2010, 19:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Scrorcher
Hit doesn't kill these spiders. They still get away.
Try it dude, I think it will work. Worked for Mallu spiders, don't know about Bangy ones.

If they doesn't die, do the broom !

Most Viewed