Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 20:49   #46
BHPian

@karthik247 if hit did not work you should probably try mortein all insect killer, I have not tried it on spiders but have tried it on cockroaches and have found some ants also dead along with the roaches and they do come with long nozzle.

This is for all spider lovers : took this picture a long time back, somehow found it at the right time. It was also taken in macro mode and the original size may be around some 3cms max.
Attached Thumbnails
Spiders - Any Arachnophobes in here?-spidy1.jpg  

Old 22nd April 2010, 21:02   #47
Senior - BHPian

well in general im disgusted by critters but i don't get freaked out by them, Unless in a dark room if i find a spider sitting on the back of my neck.
But i have seen really really huge spiders in some old houses.
Old 22nd April 2010, 21:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

Holy smokes! I'd abandon the house you were living in, clevermax! (allinggil....yende shavam avidinnu idikkum!! translation- If not, it would be my dead body leaving the place!).
I'm not scared by these creatures, but ever since a hornet sting which lead to my hand swelling up in an allergic reaction (to the size of a baseball!), I've been extra careful while being around such entities. I try my best to keep bees/hornets/spiders away, coz God alone know what could happen in the event of a bite/sting. I'm actually required to keep a hydrocortisone/ anti-allergic injection when ever I go outdoors on camping or other activities.
Man..those pics are scary!
I'd get some sort of pest-control treatment done throughout the house.
Old 22nd April 2010, 21:54   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Then the Archnophobe will probably have a cardiac arrest and die. This can't be done to a phobic person all of a sudden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
not that fast
Err.. fellas, the glass box comment was tongue-in-cheek! You lot appear to be thinking that I'm some kind of sadistic psycho.

@clevermax

Dude I have handled big furry Tarantulas (pets) as well as giant wood spiders (wild) and had them crawl over me. I love spiders and find them very fascinating. But even I would keep a safe distance from a redback or a black widow.
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Err.. fellas, the glass box comment was tongue-in-cheek! You lot appear to be thinking that I'm some kind of sadistic psycho.
@clevermax
Dude I have handled big furry Tarantulas (pets) as well as giant wood spiders (wild) and had them crawl over me. I love spiders and find them very fascinating. But even I would keep a safe distance from a redback or a black widow.
Checked out the pics of some wood spiders. Man!! Some of them are really scary to even look at! (Not posting the picture here as it may be disturbing for people like me)

But the furry Tarantulas are not as scary as these ones. Their body size and the length of the legs are much more in proportion. The fear increases as the length of the legs go really out of proportion compared to their body size.

Last edited by clevermax : 23rd April 2010 at 11:56.
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:04   #51
Senior - BHPian

Is there a way to ignore a thread? I better ignore this thread so that I don't see any updates on this thread. I know there's an easy way by not opening the updates, but I prefer not seeing this thread at all.
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:11   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Is there a way to ignore a thread? I better ignore this thread so that I don't see any updates on this thread. I know there's an easy way by not opening the updates, but I prefer not seeing this thread at all.
Chill mate... I think it helps to reduce our phobias just by learning more about spiders and getting exposed to (at least) some pictures he he..

Yesterday I came back home, and I could spot the third huge spider which i couldn't kill day before. I could kill this one easily due to couple of reasons:-

- I was reading up on this phobia and about spiders, which helped me to slightly reduce my phobia
- was under the influence of Alcohol - this greatly reduces your phobia.
Old 23rd April 2010, 13:57   #53
Senior - BHPian

A thread for Snakes and now one for Spiders.

Hope Maneka Gandhi is not following this thread - all about killing these creatures using Hit, fire and what not.

I am not scared of spiders and usually just kill them. Dont see much of them at Chennai, but quite a few at Kerala.
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:06   #54
BHPian

In the year 1899 in a railway timber yard a single specimen of the Indian Peacock Ornamental Spider was found and no other specimen was found until 102 years later some distance from Gooty in Andhra Pradesh the Species was again found and this news went unnoticed in India but within 5 hours the news set the European and American Animal dealers abuzz , within an year 15 of this rare and endangered spiders have been smuggled out of our country.(Source Mahendra Palsule skeptic.skepticgeek.com) Image rights with Liveshop Uk

I know many here on this thread hate spiders and by the time you have read my post above another tree would have been cut and the fauna another step closer to extinction . Next time when you encounter them please be considerate and try not to fry them with a flame or spray chemicals to kill them! Use a broom to push them out of your homes

Last edited by motorpsycho : 23rd April 2010 at 22:16. Reason: added copyright info
Old 24th April 2010, 13:31   #55
BHPian

Agree with Motopsycho here. Please don't kill them, they are harmless.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 24th April 2010 at 13:32.
Old 30th September 2010, 13:10   #56
Senior - BHPian

Spider encounter - worst ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I even thought about what is going to be the most dangerous encounter - imagine a huge spider popping up in front of you on the inner side of your windshield when you are driving the car at 80Kmph!
Just updating this thread to say that my worst fear (mentioned above) just happened yesterday.

I was driving back home after work through the highway. Traffic was dense but I was doing about 60 Kmph. I rolled up all windows and turned on the AC since the windshield was getting foggy from inside.

As I was driving, I noticed a huge spider (like the one I posted in the first page) coming up from one of the gaps in the dashboard, and climbing to the inner side of the windshield right in front of me!! At that sight, I really got a shock and all I could do was to somehow control my involuntary reaction to flee!

(Hot linking image from the first post to give an idea about the type of spider I encountered)

The spider kept walking through the windshield towards me and I immediately swerved to the left and somehow pulled over and stopped without hitting the biker who was just on my left side.

Jumped out of the car, and rolled down the windows. It was dark so I could not really spot the spider inside but after few seconds, I saw it walking through the roof, I took the cellphone to call my friend, and damn! the battery was out.

I just waited in the shock, not knowing what to do next. My phobia is intense that I cannot go back immediately to the surroundings where I spotted the spider, if I am not sure whether it has been killed.

All I can say is, I escaped from an accident that would have occurred if I were to lose my presence of mind. Thank god.

Last edited by clevermax : 30th September 2010 at 13:15.
Old 30th September 2010, 13:26   #57
Senior - BHPian

I will not harm snakes,scorpions.spiders etc and will leave them in peace - as long as they are in the wild! If I come across any of them inside my premises, they will meet their maker in quick time!
Old 30th September 2010, 13:48   #58
BHPian

@Clevermax, that was one SCARY experience.
I cannot even imagine something like that happening to me. Yeah, I have this massive phobia for these creatures, though I have managed to overcome it to an extent.

Where I stay, we get plenty of them(Kerala being very lush, with plenty of trees), and at home me and my mom(I got my phobia from her) always keep a jhaadu at arm's reach. When I was younger, used to call out for my dad to help!!!

Last edited by MalluDude : 30th September 2010 at 13:49.
Old 30th September 2010, 16:35   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
@Clevermax, that was one SCARY experience.
I cannot even imagine something like that happening to me. Yeah, I have this massive phobia for these creatures, though I have managed to overcome it to an extent.

Where I stay, we get plenty of them(Kerala being very lush, with plenty of trees), and at home me and my mom(I got my phobia from her) always keep a jhaadu at arm's reach. When I was younger, used to call out for my dad to help!!!
Yes it was a very scary experience indeed. I am planning to fix one HIT insect killer spray in my driver side A pillar just like they keep those mini fire extinguishers..
Old 30th September 2010, 18:23   #60
Senior - BHPian

@Clevermax - its high time pal with spideys!!!
When I was in Thrissur during last week of Sep, there was one that creeped up from the bonnet towards the glass, but thank God, that was when I was parking at Kalyan & that too it was outside. Somehow I could manage.

But hey, I wanted to give you a tip here that my Aunt said would work; though my Aunt is not scared of it, my cousin is, so she found that spraying dettol would kill it in no time. Personally I haven't seen one dying with dettol.

But since you seem to be more attracted to spideys, you may want to give a try

PS - Are you a fan of Spiderman by any chance? If he were real, he would love you for this thread.

Most Viewed