Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2011, 13:50   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Spiders - Any Arachnophobes in here?

I was parking my car after coming back from city, I looked at the left RVM, and I saw this...
Spiders - Any Arachnophobes in here?-imag0126.jpg

This was the third large spider encounter I am having in my car.. There's something about my car which all spideys like it seems!!

For a moment I was in shock and then I realized that the window is all rolled up.. so relaxed and continued parking. Later my house owner killed it.

Last edited by clevermax : 15th February 2011 at 13:55.
Old 15th February 2011, 14:04   #62
Senior - BHPian

Clevermax - are you the Indian 'spiderman'?

That is indeed scary - i would have gone kaput if i found one on the ORVM
Old 15th February 2011, 14:08   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I hate all insects. Spiders, Bees, whatever. I make it a point to kill them. I hate them so much that I usually have a can of hit close to me to kill them immediately.
Take it easy ,without insects ,bees and all this planet would be dead . They are the source for pollination and growth of trees / plants /fruits . We are leaving between them ,so kindly adjust and dump that hit can.

Last edited by black12rr : 15th February 2011 at 14:10.
Old 15th February 2011, 14:10   #64
BHPian

oh, so I guess Im not alone after all! After reading this thread and seeing the pics, Ill remain paranoid for the rest of the day!
Old 15th February 2011, 14:11   #65
BHPian

I don't remember anyone in this thread writing about experiencing a spider bite. Here is one. Yes, I was bitten by one of these creatures quite some years back. Although I am a animal lover, till date I am not able to differentiate between a harmless spider and a harmful one unlike snakes. When I was bitten by one I did not feel the pain but very soon it was a big bubble like swelling, transparent to show fluids inside. It was on my upper hand near the shoulder !! It was about the size of a golf ball !! I had to go to a doctor and get it removed after he got the fluid removed through a syringe. I had the pain for a couple of days after it was removed. Now, for me it is really once bitten twice shy, as far as spiders are considered.
Old 15th February 2011, 14:44   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Clevermax - are you the Indian 'spiderman'?
That is indeed scary - i would have gone kaput if i found one on the ORVM
*he he*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindr View Post
I don't remember anyone in this thread writing about experiencing a spider bite. Here is one. Yes, I was bitten by one of these creatures quite some years back. Although I am a animal lover, till date I am not able to differentiate between a harmless spider and a harmful one unlike snakes. When I was bitten by one I did not feel the pain but very soon it was a big bubble like swelling, transparent to show fluids inside. It was on my upper hand near the shoulder !! It was about the size of a golf ball !! I had to go to a doctor and get it removed after he got the fluid removed through a syringe. I had the pain for a couple of days after it was removed. Now, for me it is really once bitten twice shy, as far as spiders are considered.
That's a not-so-good experience having bitten by a spider. last week a huge spider ran through my body (from one hand to another through my back) and jumped off to the floor.. it was a very scary experience but luckily it didn't bite me.

So you had swelling in the area of the bite. I have read about another type of spider venom that affects something else, especially men. Yea, it becomes uncontrollably stiff until anti venom is injected. It is a Brazilian spider.

Last edited by clevermax : 15th February 2011 at 14:52.
Old 15th February 2011, 15:27   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
*he he*

So you had swelling in the area of the bite. I have read about another type of spider venom that affects something else, especially men. Yea, it becomes uncontrollably stiff until anti venom is injected. It is a Brazilian spider.
yes, it was in just the area of bite !!
Old 15th February 2011, 17:07   #68
Senior - BHPian

Even though I dont have any issues with spiders or any insects for that matter, I think it is a good idea to have a thread on phobias in general. For example I am very scared of narrow/constricted spaces and one of the worst dream I get at night is about getting trapped in a cave where I can barely crawl! I am also not very comfortable about heights and do not prefer standing near the balcony of a tall building.
Old 15th February 2011, 17:47   #69
BHPian

Dear Clevermax
the spider you have encountered is male huntsman spider, which is harmless.
try to over come your phobia, all the best.
Old 13th May 2011, 18:20   #70
Senior - BHPian

spotted this one couple of days back in the staircase our house (1939 )

Spiders - Any Arachnophobes in here?-photo0613.jpg

it vanished next morning - most probably hiding somewhere there.
Old 13th May 2011, 20:51   #71
Senior - BHPian

While we are on this subject - Spiders, I invite you all to visit this post on my thread here -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2344432

I'm still wondering what would have happened if wife & daughter had entered the room beforeI did...
Old 9th July 2011, 11:25   #72
Senior - BHPian

Spotted couple of days back in Mom's Room - i used Red & Black HIT - It limped behind the almirah and keeps popping out from time to time (or there is another one in the room)

Spiders - Any Arachnophobes in here?-photo0695.jpg
Old 9th July 2011, 12:00   #73
BHPian

I used to be really really scared of spiders till a lady in the "Bug House" at the London Zoo put a 6 inch hairy huge tarantula on my hand.
When someone at a Zoo asks you if you have Arachnophobia - ALWAYS SAY NO
Old 9th July 2011, 17:07   #74
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this "beauty" some weeks ago on the terrace of our home at Kerala. Was different from the usual/plain-jane house spiders we see at home. No idea if venomous or not.
Spiders - Any Arachnophobes in here?-dsc02974.jpg
Old 10th July 2011, 02:06   #75
BHPian

Eww. I absolutely hate most animals, especially reptiles and insects. And I'm afraid to touch any animal I don't hate. With insects and reptiles, especially cockroaches, it's a phobia.

I had a hard time stepping in the bio lab back in 9th and 10th, and while I was there, I sat with my back facing the specimen racks.

I chose engineering in 11th (you wouldn't expect me to become a doctor after reading all that, would you?), and I had a physics book with a few pictures of insects, and I had those pages covered by blank sheets.

As you might imagine, navigating through this thread was hard. What makes this worse is that I'm a guy, I'm supposed to 'man up', and not run like maniacs and scream when I see a cockroach.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks