Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2010, 22:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Receiving car as a surprise gift from family member

Heard some stories here and there about people receiving a car as a surprise gift from family members. (who else?)

Don't know about others, but if my wife or dad or mom springs a surprise and gifts me a car, I might have a mild heart attack.

Firstly its not like its free....... Its our money. (kinda)

Secondly, as an enthusiast I am so particular about the brand, price, features, colour, model, discounts, deals etc etc.....I would totally lose my top if
I am actually talking from personal experience, but more on that later.

Your thoughts?
Old 30th April 2010, 22:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Oh great!! If its happened recently to you then congrats. Which one did you get ?
As far as I go anything on 4 wheels will do for me as long as its for free. Except for the Reva perhaps.
Old 30th April 2010, 22:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

same here. that's why I avoid giving or receiving surprise gifts. all my purchases are well thought, researched and planned. If only my better half understood.

"Honey, I did not forget the anniversary, I just didn't want to surprise you"
Old 30th April 2010, 22:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Firstly its not like its free....... Its our money. (kinda)
I didn't understand the above much, but I'm assuming that my relative bought with their money, gifts me the car & then asks for money. In that case, first thing I'll have is a big suspicion as why gift me? Anyway, I would accept only if its the car that I've in mind & I've the money to give.

If not I would say a strict NO to freebies; I believe that things are blessed & long lasts only when I buy things out of my hard earned money.
Old 1st May 2010, 12:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

May be what he meant was, if you parents of wife give you car as gift, its kinda your money (of family money) only that they have spent. And what if they spent it on some car that you don't like?
Old 1st May 2010, 14:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

As long as its free, I will accept any car, even if its a M800

Mpower, why so much fretting? Enjoy the car. If its from your better half, well, I understand then.
Old 1st May 2010, 20:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I didn't understand the above much, but I'm assuming that my relative bought with their money, gifts me the car & then asks for money.
I mean near family like wife, dad etc.
Old 1st May 2010, 21:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I mean near family like wife, dad etc.
Oh!! OK; then it depends.
If it were Dad or Mother - then, I would close my eyes & accept anything.
Wifey - Well, she will not, but still, then, sorry I can't even imagine this ; Sorry
Brother/Sister - Will accept whole heartedly but with a comment, if not my choice & keep bragging everywhere about the gift
Son/Daughter - Hmm...too long to go
Old 1st May 2010, 22:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

imagine getting a car which you absolutely hate!!!(if some one got me a nano ).
yes i was gifted a Kine long ago by my maternal family and was absolutely delighted with it and served me well for over 7 years.
Old 1st May 2010, 22:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

I was gifted a Bajaj Sunny when it was launched. It was a real surprise as dad came to see me after school one Friday eve and took me to a showroom where my first bike was waiting for me. Was a priceless moment.

Well, cant say that was first. I was also gift a bicycle ( Hero Impact IIRC) when I was in school. I reach home one day and dad gives me a medal kind of thing which has 3-4 digits engraved in it. It was the number of the number lock of the bicycle.
Old 2nd May 2010, 16:58   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I for one would love to receive any car as a gift, even a Nano (lots of fun, perfect for the city) or an Ambassador (old school charm, can mod for quick 0 - 100, best back seat in the world)! If any of my family members are reading this thread, here's my "affordable" wishlist:

- Nano
- Enfield Bullet 500
- Reva (something different)
- Gypsy

Who says you need to spend $$$ for fun? A 1 lakh rupee gift certificate for wheels & ICE wouldn't hurt either

Quote:
Secondly, as an enthusiast I am so particular about the brand, price, features, colour, model, discounts, deals etc etc.....I would totally lose my top if
Agreed, if it were meant to be my daily driver which I'm VERY particular about. But as an additional car, anything works & could be a whole lot of fun.
Old 2nd May 2010, 18:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well a Car will be ultimate gift (only if i recieve rather than give)!
Had not been that lucky so far.
However i was gifted a yamaha by my dad while i was in school. I was ecstatic!
Old 2nd May 2010, 19:00   #13
Team-BHP Support

If they know it is something I wanted fine, something they wanted is a problem!
Old 4th May 2010, 19:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ha ha...

Talk more and more about your dream car (in India) infront of your rel/friends. May be they will think about give it as a surprise gift. If they do so act as if you are surprised and hug and thank them with tears (fake it!!) in your eyes.

I can do all these, still I doubt I am going to get something!!!. It may work for someone, who knows!!

Few years back one of my friend was gifted a Santro by his in-laws, issue is he hates Santro and always wanted an Accent. He did not have option but to drive it to keep his other half happy!!.

Last edited by Latheesh : 4th May 2010 at 19:53.
Old 5th May 2010, 12:13   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Well in such cases, the surprise doesn't stay a surprise. The family knows how picky you are about cars hence will always indirectly ask you about it before booking, keep a look out for such hints

I was fitted the 6th gen Accord 2.3L VTiL A/T in Black on my 18th birthday but I totally knew what was coming! Especially when my father said " An Indica should be a good option for your birthday "

Although, I have once turned down a gift by the family - A fully loaded E60 545i in Boston ! It was hard to resist but the most logical thing to do, for once my head ruled over my heart

Last edited by Sahil : 5th May 2010 at 12:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks