Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2010, 20:22   #151
Team-BHP Support

Also remember, that in us a 10$ cut is cheap considering your salary. In India, for an equivalent facilities, you pay 300rs, which is a much higher percentage of your salary at the same economic level.
Again as someone mentioned, emigrating to foreign land is different experience for everyone. Every person has different setup and mindset. So what works for you may not work for other.
there is no general thing as India is better than abroad.
Its person to person. For some people pursuit of happiness is India, for others its the west.
Old 9th May 2010, 22:41   #152
BHPian

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
justification for your statement? Doesnt mean you lose your Indianness if you go abroad...

Since you asked dear friend, let me explain. In fact I have meant the same our friend has said, to which you approve.. Since I have to explain, in simple words, if its money, you go make it and come back. If its more than that, lifestyle, etc. go abroad, become a citizen abroad no issues, stay loyal to that country. The country that gives you a new life, lets you have things you couldn't have had here, no Issues. Stay loyal to one country. How many of our dear NRI's have left to somalia or other crappy places? they all have left to places for a better livelihood, better life etc. be grateful to the country that give you that. I speak from my life experience, Half of my relatives are abroad, the old ones are buying property in india and want to come back, the ones my age are thinking, there are just 2 of us in all of my college classmates who are here in India. I know most of them would be back when their daughters reach maturity. I just dont like double standards. And since you asked, You aint an indian If you immigrate. Be loyal some where. Just be loyal somewhere. NRI's choose the easy option. period. Least you can do is, respect the land that gives you everything. And thats what I meant about Indianess. Got it?
Old 10th May 2010, 07:47   #153
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Since you asked dear friend, let me explain. In fact I have meant the same our friend has said, to which you approve.. Since I have to explain, in simple words, if its money, you go make it and come back. If its more than that, lifestyle, etc. go abroad, become a citizen abroad no issues, stay loyal to that country. The country that gives you a new life, lets you have things you couldn't have had here, no Issues. Stay loyal to one country. How many of our dear NRI's have left to somalia or other crappy places? they all have left to places for a better livelihood, better life etc. be grateful to the country that give you that. I speak from my life experience, Half of my relatives are abroad, the old ones are buying property in india and want to come back, the ones my age are thinking, there are just 2 of us in all of my college classmates who are here in India. I know most of them would be back when their daughters reach maturity. I just dont like double standards. And since you asked, You aint an indian If you immigrate. Be loyal some where. Just be loyal somewhere. NRI's choose the easy option. period. Least you can do is, respect the land that gives you everything. And thats what I meant about Indianess. Got it?
Off topic, Off topic, Off topic. This issue has been beaten to the husk, so we can stop pulling our hairs on this.

I think OP has already got his answers by now.
Old 10th May 2010, 17:53   #154
BHPian

nice thread

I need one info. with respect to leaving for US on long term.

I have filed H1 this year and assuming that I get it, what is the process for parents joining me in US as dependents. I heard that they can only come there for max 6 mnths on tourist visa if one is on H1. Is this true? Can they also get dependent visa and stay along for long term. Anyone having any information in this regard would be great help.
Old 11th May 2010, 19:47   #155
BHPian

@babaops,

Depends on the duration of the visiting visa issued by the US consulate. In any case, typically, the visitor has to leave US within 6 months even if the visa is for a longer period, as I understand. They can ask the immigration official at the US airport for more details as they enter the country.

Good Luck.
Old 11th May 2010, 20:05   #156
Senior - BHPian

visitor (B visa) has to leave by the date stamped at the port of entry. usually 3 months. sometimes they give upto 6 months.

only spouse and children can be dependent (H-4 visa).

my parents have 10 year B visa, both times they came they were given 6 months i think. but we always planned for 3 months not taking a chance.
Old 11th May 2010, 22:42   #157
BANNED

The Visa is a permission to land at the US Airport. It's not permission to enter the country. The I-94 stamped at entry with a date is the document is the document authorising you to stay in the country till the date specified in the I-94. The I-94 date is at the discretion of the stamping officer. He usually asks you how much time you want to stay & why & then makes his judgement & stamps a date.

You can have a valid visa, but can be refused permission to enter the country at the US Airport.
You can have an expired Visa & valid I-94 & continue to stay in the country legally till the I-94 is valid.

I have had a problem with the Indian Consulate in the US because they didn't understand this. I had gone to renew my Indian passport. My Visa was long expired, but my I-94 was valid. When I came to collect the renewed passport, the Indian consulate guy casually looked at the Visa & realized that it's expired. He refused to give me back my passport saying I am in the country illegally. I struggled 15-20 minutes with him, trying to explain this to him. Finally I gave up & told him to call the US immigration authorities & ask them to arrest me if he thinks I am illegally in the country. That's when he gave me the passport back!!!

Last edited by carboy : 11th May 2010 at 22:44.
Old 12th May 2010, 03:21   #158
BHPian

Wow! Some of the most sensible thoughts I've read in recent times!
We have all the divide any sane mind can comprehend and are on the lookout for more. By the way, the single most thing that I don't like about India is the way children are penalized for being born to parents who belong to so and so castes / religions and am myself a victim! I'll NEVER forgive that vote-bank minded politicians of India for that divide and rule policy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
we indians are quite race/colour/ class conscious in ourselves, in our own country. all around us there are instances of us not giving proper respect to each other.

we have been a civilization for thousands of years, but are not yet a "nation" in that sense. we somehow lack a sense of national pride. Ask yourself how many of us stand to attention when our National Anthem plays?
Old 12th May 2010, 12:38   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
visitor (B visa) has to leave by the date stamped at the port of entry. usually 3 months. sometimes they give upto 6 months.

only spouse and children can be dependent (H-4 visa).

my parents have 10 year B visa, both times they came they were given 6 months i think. but we always planned for 3 months not taking a chance.
So, does it mean that in no way parents can stay along as dependents or are there any other visas for it?
Old 12th May 2010, 16:48   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post

Immigration and citizenship:
Sad to say, for every honest immigration agent, there seem to be 10 who lie, cheat and exploit. But this is more so with regard to the student visa. I have seen a few immigration nightmare stories on TV shows, but thankfully, I haven't personally met anyone who has had a bad experience.
There's a huge difference between a qualified Migration Agent / lawyer and a Study abroad consultant. Fortunately, Australia regulates the migration services industry and every agent has to have a good working knowledge of the Current Legislation and Policy and also has to be a person of integrity and good character.

The trouble makers are the unscrupulous study abroad agents who lured innocent rural youth with promises of their so called "learn and earn" programmes which lead to a PR.

Quote:
Also, I have heard that PR visa processing now takes up to 2 years, whereas it was a year for me.
You could get a PR in 6 months if your occupation was in demand (IT, Medical, Engineering, Accountants etc) or wait for up to 3 years otherwise. The Rudd goverment is overhauling the entire skilled migration system as we speak and have temporarily suspended accepting new offshore skilled applications till 1st July.

Quote:
He has come here for work, as he couldn't find much work in IT in Calgary.
True. You would find many Canucks working in Australia. IT salaries and opportunities in general are much better in Australia at present.

[/quote]
Old 14th May 2010, 09:46   #161
Team-BHP Support

I didn't bother posting here until now. But I have been actively part of a forum dedicated to this topic for 5 years until 2007. It is called R2Iforum, for it helps NRIs plan their Return to India. There are many ex-members of that forum here now.

Check it out: R2IClubForums
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2010, 09:58   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
yes and its always like this. Whenever i plan something here and go for short trips to US, it so happens he stamps for 6month. And you know most companies do what after that

And when I plan for 2-3 months and go, he stamps for 1 month. So, its all in the game

Ok, back to topic. Yes, it depends on person to person. As someone mentioned, many friends come back here once their kids are to a certain age.

And I have a friend who had felt so bad because his 3 yr old daughter is not allowing him or his wife to take care of her. A simple thing like brushing her, bathing her etc also not possible. The kid says its my work, and I will take care. He feels so bad that he is not able to enjoy his parenthood. Result of those mont schools.

I know, many people here may feel that its cute & great. But not for all parents.
Old 17th August 2012, 19:58   #163
Senior - BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!! Is It Worth It?

Know this is an old topic and no new updates for some time. But am sure you guys can help.

I am seriously considering attempting at getting a PR for Denmark or Australia. Though I am more interested in working for say a period of 4~5 years and returning back to India, I am open to settling down there. I am looking to go for Denmark by getting the PR - this takes a time period of upto a year. But once we receive the PR, we can apply and land a job in Denmark and work there without any issues. And if we stay there for 9 years, we can apply and become a citizen there.

My only concerns:

I want to get my parents there. At least at a later date. The agency here tells me that I can take them there to reside with me as long as they visit me at least on 3 separate ocassions when I am there in Denmark. They can then say that they are dependant on me and will be residing with me. Is this a simple thing to do?

Also, they don't sound too keen on moving to a foreign country. And also, Denmark is a cold place. But it is not an issue with English or the thing with the foreign country itself. Mom and dad have been in Nigeria for years in the 80's. Its more of the effort of moving to a foreign country. But friends tell me that once they move for a few months, they will get to like the place and like to stay one. Not sure about this part.

Secondly - even if I was to get a PR, can I just work there for a few years and then return back without any hassle?

And in all this, is Australia the better option?
Old 17th August 2012, 20:44   #164
Senior - BHPian

Can't help you much since i am not familiar with neither Denmark nor Australia's immigration policies. But still curious to know your reasons behind choosing these two countries.

Returning when you want to should not be a hassle though, so many people have done it after all. But all this also depends on the situation at the time you decide to return.
Old 18th August 2012, 11:38   #165
Senior - BHPian

Why would you want to move to Denmark/Europe when the whole continent is going through a terrible phase and its only going to get uglier. Australia is the only place that is more or less unaffected by recession. Furthermore the climate is better and its an English (almost) speaking country.

Take your pick!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks