Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2012, 14:53   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!! Is It Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdus001 View Post
I wonder why Aus/Canadian cities are rated among the top 10 cities in the world (for living) for so many years now
Since your location says "Sydney", perhaps you can share your own experience and any tips/advice for those who wish to emigrate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Based on your last few posts, I to stress on one point - for those who plan to make a move: Go with an open mind. Avoid having pre-conceived notions and try not form opinions based on what you heard from friends/elsewhere.
Amen to that!

Like vb-san, I spent a couple of years in Singapore. Before I moved there I had two completely contradictory pictures in my mind: one was that it was a wonderful place, a heaven of efficiency and courteousness, where there was no crime and life was wonderful. The other was that it was a rigid, scared, nanny-state that hated foreigners and made them clean up their streets (seriously- someone told me that ).

The truth, as I came to realise, was somewhere in between. It was a great place for family life: good schools, parks, public transport, shopping, food, culture etc. What I didn't like as the fact that buying a car was out of the question (too expensive and besides...where would drive!??), work culture was so-so and there were some aspects of the place that really made me claustrophobic. But I wouldn't trade my experience for anything.
Old 31st August 2012, 14:59   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The other was that it was a rigid, scared, nanny-state that hated foreigners and made them clean up their streets (seriously- someone told me that ).

The truth, as I came to realise, was somewhere in between. It was a great place for family life: good schools, parks, public transport, shopping, food, culture etc. What I didn't like as the fact that buying a car was out of the question (too expensive and besides...where would drive!??), work culture was so-so and there were some aspects of the place that really made me claustrophobic. But I wouldn't trade my experience for anything.
so, in your couple of years, how many streets did you manage to..well i mean see!

Where would you drive in singapore: Look around, all blue waters, drive anywhere you want, how fast you could. (pun intended).

well, singapore, I love that country for very personal reasons. But still, I second what Noopster said in his above post, sans the street cleaning job.
Old 31st August 2012, 15:31   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I made my earlier statement since as per my knowledge at the current moment, India has no Social security or Health care of any quality or indeed any kind of properly administered support system for the under-privileged, jobless and poor.
I read somewhere that any family in India is only one major illness away from selling an asset/ moving down their standard of living. Unfortunately this sounds very true even in the age of mediclaim.

Quote:
Am sure the Frauleins are celebrating at your thumping endorsement
I was thumping my office desk and laughing out loud when I read this. noop, you to blame for scaring my desk neighbours! by the way, I hope Sam and his missus arent reading these posts. In any case, I guess they will also see that we dont agree with such opinions.

By the way, I was ranting somewhere on this forum about lack of respect for others in India. Isnt this a damning indictment of that? Lack of respect for hard work. Judging people only for what they look like rather than their sheer hard work.

Quote:
It's very unfortunate that you choose to reduce it to a series of cliched stereotypes that are apparently inspired by a stand-up comic's sketches.
ritz, so if we continue in Mr/ Peters' vein you must have a really low opinion about Indians too?
Its just a freak comedy show. In any case who gave us the right to judge other countries?
Old 31st August 2012, 15:41   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
so, in your couple of years, how many streets did you manage to..well i mean see!

(...)

well, singapore, I love that country for very personal reasons. But still, I second what Noopster said in his above post, sans the street cleaning job.
You know what- I did get to the bottom of that. Apparently at some point of time the Sing govt got so fed up with people littering that they started using community service as a punishment rather than fines. So it was not uncommon to see guys who wore suits on weekdays- a lot of them foreigners since native Singaporeans do not litter or if they do are clever enough not to get caught- land up in the local park in brightly coloured clothing with a sack and a pointy stick to collect the garbage

Come to think of it, it's a perfect deterrent! Not sure it's done anymore, though.
Old 31st August 2012, 16:57   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
i had friends working with me from across the world on cruise ship
so you are really talking about cruise workers from all these countries. not all people.
Old 31st August 2012, 17:23   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
so you are really talking about cruise workers from all these countries. not all people.
Btw cruise ship has both crew cruiser from across the world and i worked for a major entertainment company.

Hey all i thought the topic still is Emigrating to a Foreign Land!! Is It Worth It?
ie with a question, and i shared my experience,
and ideally members who are in those countries should be my Criticis and not my indian friends.

Finally just a message 'been there done that'

Last edited by noopster : 1st September 2012 at 10:49. Reason: Please refer Rule 14.
Old 31st August 2012, 17:41   #277
BHPian

Its a shame people have started pickin on each other, its a forum guys, all are entitled to their opinions. To keep it fair lets not indulge in this foolishness, we all have experiences to share, good or bad, and none of us can claim to know everything about every country.

Keep it light guys, cool it off and let others enjoy the forum.
Old 31st August 2012, 18:09   #278
Senior - BHPian

I guess we in this forum damn the city and the state it belongs it on traffic threads and what not. Its good to know that we defend other countries
Old 31st August 2012, 18:46   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I guess we in this forum damn the city and the state it belongs it on traffic threads and what not. Its good to know that we defend other countries
Sir, the very purpose of this thread, to analyse whether "Emigrating" is a good choice or not! But sadly, the discussion got deviated to city based bashing. OT:
Well, which one should a person call "our" city/"our" country?
Whats wrong in accepting, which good in other places and that is not in so called "our places" and vice versa too? Its not always that west is better, there are certain areas where "our" cities are better than the west.

On the whole, I see the rant on Indian cities as positive because, its better that we, the natural aborigins talk about it than some outsider. Aborigins have the right to talk about, only if we are ready to say it out loud, will we try to correct ourselves, isnt it?

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 31st August 2012 at 18:53.
Old 31st August 2012, 19:37   #280
BHPian

Quote:
sir, the line below of the one mentioned by you also mention of me living in toronto for two years.
And based on that you came up with this?

Quote:
Best way to start talking with a canadian - hate america anything ie health system,

canadian kid - spiting or green stuff where to get etc
Seriously? Its amazing how you can generalize everything that you have seen to be a representation of the whole population of that country.

BTW I am basing my criticism on the fact that I have lived here for considerable more time than two years.
Old 31st August 2012, 20:24   #281
BANNED

Quote:
I find whole of Europe a bit castist....
Uk is VAT & gone monarchy......
Germany is so Deutschland....

CANADA is UK backwater....
Dont consider much of australia or newzealand...
Usa fabric is...

And then you have people related with Israel....
You ve pretty much covered all the continents except Africa, the Middle East and the Poles, and there is nothing positive in any of them.

No opinions about them?

Yet thousands immigrate and settle down in these places and most of them are happy.

For someone who writes like a demographics expert, your comments are cheap, racist and not worthy of any attention. Period.
Old 31st August 2012, 20:36   #282
Senior - BHPian

Ritz3645's posts also serve a purpose, though different from what he expects.
You will find plenty of people subscribing to his line of thought everywhere. So, if you do decide to move to another place, even within same country, then just be careful of people making such stereotyped statements and form your own opinions based on your own experiences.
Old 31st August 2012, 21:33   #283
Team-BHP Support

My brother-in-law recently moved to Sydney (landed there on 20th Aug). For someone who has lived all his life in India, that too with a comfortable job in his hometown (Cochin), this was indeed a huge change. Whole of last week was pretty miserable for him – loneliness, change in climate (too cold). But it’s getting better this week. He has started to go and meet people around. And yesterday when he called, he mentioned that his fears about the new place are getting allayed, and sounded much better than the previous week. And he has started to make some contacts/friends through his landlord.

For a start, (as an initial observation) he said that he noticed that there is no class divide based on one’s profession.

I will keep getting updates from him on the progress there, and will post here any details worth sharing – especially on job search, bank a/c opening, insurance registration etc.

Quote:
Come to think of it, it's a perfect deterrent! Not sure it's done anymore, though.
I think the law and punishment is still there, but have not seen it in past 2-3 years
Old 31st August 2012, 21:36   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post

Seriously? Its amazing how you can generalize everything that you have seen to be a representation of the whole population of that country.

BTW I am basing my criticism on the fact that I have lived here for considerable more time than two years.
sir pardon my ignorance but please guide if the above statement is remotely true even for a very small percentage,
please also inform of lives of a normal immigrant,
of people on EI, factory jobs, second career in canada.
Please also inform of canadians shopping in US, or the health care line, or car insurance, mobile rate plan please

Last edited by ritz3645 : 31st August 2012 at 21:50.
Old 31st August 2012, 22:19   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
There is no MARA agent by the name of Prasad in Hyderabad. There is no record found in the 'Register of Migration Agents' on the MARA website.

If anyone claims to be a MARA Agent, you must first check if the person is currently registered with and is in good standing of MARA by searching through the MARA website.

https://www.mara.gov.au/agent/ARSear...=&FolderID=394
Thanks for the information. Many months back I had gone with a friend to this agent's office. The friend is in Australia now. After your post, I checked with him and he states that the person is indeed a MARA agent and his name is listed. His agent number is 0215036 and his office is called INDAUS Immigration in Hyderabad. Just to make sure, I too tried the web page you had mentioned. I then realized that his name is Naga Dhulipala. But everyone called him Mr Prasad. The page states his status as registered. However, the phone number I mentioned in my post is the same as listed in the Dept. of Migration under the business phone. I suppose that makes things clear. Cheers.

Most Viewed