Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2012, 12:19   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!! Is It Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@selfdrive: I am not referring to the opinion of grandparents in this case...
On this thread itself we have grown ups ranting about the chaos/ politics/ lack of social security etc., after coming back from a more developed country. So won't kids find it more difficult to adapt after living overseas for a few years?
The opinion of grandparents was the reason we returned to India. All I wanted to say is that in certain cases, the decision to emigrate also involves other people within the family. Such as grandparents. But eventually we learn that its not practical to do this. After all its our life. We either accept life how it is here or move.

This time when (or should I still say if?) we move, it will be for good. My kids will continue to live there till they grow up and are able to decide whether they want to return or not. I will not want to return to India other than for meeting family/ friends or short holidays. Not saying it is good or bad to stay here, just that whatever I earn here is not sufficient to provide me a standard of living that I aspire for.

Last edited by selfdrive : 24th December 2012 at 12:23.
Old 24th December 2012, 17:58   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

I agree, but I guess thats why paranoia is not good for the health!

1. I agree
2. yes, but we have lived in Paris for a few years and in the UK too. Relatively Germany seems cheaper.
3. True
4. we worked this out in France, so could work it out for DE too. However, we need to know what is better for our kids in terms of their schooling. This was the reason we returned from France. So might end up considering Oz or Canada.

Overall it will be a 2 year plan. But I am glad to have some reassurance that I will still be able to emigrate when I get to my late 30s
1. Tax is high, but you get it back as pension!so you sort of saving for your future.
2. Nothing is cheap, but for the money we shell out, we get quality stuff.
3. I'll skip ur 3rd and talk about schools, can you elaborate on what are you expecting from the schools?(is it education standards?, character building? Etc.)
Old 29th December 2012, 16:54   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
No you're not too late. Go and get yourself evaluated by a reputable consultant along with your partner/ spouse etc.
Please ensure that you use a consultant egistered with MARA (www.mara.gov.au)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I understand Oz has an age cut off of 45. For Canada and NZ I believe it is 55.
Since July 2012, the cut off age for Australia is 50 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
My BIL recently migrated to AU. He is 34

If you have an option to go via your employer in India, thats the easiest option.
Employers generally won't sponsor you for a permanent visa. Independent Skilled Migration visas would be quite easy if you meet eligibility critreria.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 29th December 2012 at 16:55. Reason: Correcting typo
Old 31st December 2012, 13:22   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
1. Tax is high, but you get it back as pension!so you sort of saving for your future.
2. Nothing is cheap, but for the money we shell out, we get quality stuff.
3. I'll skip ur 3rd and talk about schools, can you elaborate on what are you expecting from the schools?(is it education standards?, character building? Etc.)
I dont know how I missed your response.
1. that is some relief!
2. agreed
3. safety of kids is probably the only expectation. we could take care of the character building so thats not really an expectation. other than that, probably interpersonal relationships with other kids in school. but that is something that the kids need to do themselves than the school doing it for them.
at the end of the day, they should have better opportunities for higher education without me having to sell my only house in my old age.

Last edited by selfdrive : 31st December 2012 at 13:24.
Old 31st December 2012, 14:13   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
People,
What are the countries that allow your better half to work while being on dependent visa? I am aware of the below few (do correct me if I am wrong)

- UK
- Australia
- Singapore
- US (If on L1 visa)

Please add Finland to that list.
Old 31st December 2012, 15:23   #411
BANNED

All I would advise those planning to ship out. Do it before you are 35.

The reason is that almost all economies you think about are higher cost ones. So your savings from India will not add up to much. In most of the west retirement is at 65 and you need at least thirty years to build your nest.
Old 31st December 2012, 22:26   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I dont know how I missed your response.
3. safety of kids is probably the only expectation. we could take care of the character building so thats not really an expectation. other than that, probably interpersonal relationships with other kids in school. but that is something that the kids need to do themselves than the school doing it for them.
at the end of the day, they should have better opportunities for higher education without me having to sell my only house in my old age.
No worries on that aspect. Safety is something that is very seriously taken by everybody there. (you must have seen it during your stay in France)

I don't think I need to talk about university education in Germany. If you need more info on that feel free to PM me.

As SGIITK sir and many others have suggested, practically it is advisable to decide to emigrate at the earliest possible to be able to save enough to settle in the future.
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:01   #413
BHPian

Guys, can someone suggest a reputed, legal, and courteous job consultancy in Hyderabad?
I have three countries on my list like I mentioned a few posts ago:
1. US,
2. Singapore,
3. Netherlands.

I'd like to talk to the consultants and see which country is the most feasible to migrate to given my education and experience.

Thanks much!
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:27   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Hellmet,
I can't advise on the actual immigration, I'll leave that to the experts.
But once you have made your choice and it's either the US or the Netherlands I'll be happy to help out with some of the practicalities of living in either the US or the Netherlands.

Good luck,

Jeroen
Old 5th January 2013, 20:38   #415
PGA
BHPian

Hi,
I am quiting a govt job in Apr 2013. I was wondering about the possibilities of getting employed in Singapore, Dubai or Hong Kong. My skill sets enable me fit into quite a few positions except the IT and Communications. Immigration is not what I am thinking of right now, maybe if situation develops later. I wanted to know as to how do I start searching for a job in these places. Does anybody know of some placement firms whom I could approach.
Thanks

Last edited by PGA : 5th January 2013 at 20:40.
Old 5th January 2013, 22:07   #416
Senior - BHPian

^For middle east these are supposed to be good sites, but I have no first hand experience.
BAYT
HAYS

For Singapore, JOBSDB is supposed to be good.

However, I don't know if your field has exclusive job portal.
Old 13th January 2013, 12:32   #417
BHPian

Folks, pretty informative thread. I have some queries on relocating abroad especially Germany.

Am being offered a chance to relocate on work to Darmstadt, Germany by my current organization on a work visa for at least 2 year assignment. This is the first time I am travelling abroad post marriage with a 2 year son and to a non english speaking country. All my previous trips were to UK and US when I was single.

It's a stage where my son has just started speaking little sentences and trying to communicate with words and interacting with people around. So I want to make sure I dont mess up anything while he is learning things.

1. Does one need a car to move around in Germany or does it have good public transport?
2. Does one need to know German to survive or is there english? Meaning from talking to local folks to looking up for stuff in supermarkets.
3. What is the start age of kids to join school in Germany? In India, by June 2013, I would have put my son in pre school.
4. Are people social like in the US where at least you could get some Indian neighbours or even the Americans would say a polite hello and would be willing to mingle.
5. What are the kind of rentals I can expect for a 2 BHK in a good neighbourhood? And any sites where I can look up what is available

Any people here on this forum having lived in Germany, please do respond to my queries. I have to take a decision on this next week. Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by rrahul_2778 : 13th January 2013 at 12:35.
Old 13th January 2013, 16:16   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
Am being offered a chance to relocate on work to Darmstadt, Germany by my current organization on a work visa for at least 2 year assignment. This is the first time I am travelling abroad post marriage with a 2 year son and to a non english speaking country. All my previous trips were to UK and US when I was single.
I think you should take it up, its a nice change from what you had in UK/US. I am not 100% sure of how Darnstadt will treat you but xenophobia is a bit hyped sometimes. Germans are no nonsense people but not hostile. I was there for 3 years as a bachelor but I was near Frankfurt a bigger city and thus more open society.

Quote:
It's a stage where my son has just started speaking little sentences and trying to communicate with words and interacting with people around. So I want to make sure I dont mess up anything while he is learning things.
He will have to learn German, English and your mother-tounge. Once your local buddy/colleague starts you off, you do not need to worry, its great to learn some new words and experience the change. I used to shuttle to Copenhagen and thus I learnt some Danish as well

Quote:
1. Does one need a car to move around in Germany or does it have good public transport?
Not necessary, but if you are going to live there for extended periods and you are not near good public transport system of cities then you should get a car, try company car. Otherwise, Germany has a good public transport system.

Quote:
2. Does one need to know German to survive or is there english? Meaning from talking to local folks to looking up for stuff in supermarkets.
Once you get started you wont require help. Google translate and bar code readers help a lot.

Quote:
3. What is the start age of kids to join school in Germany? In India, by June 2013, I would have put my son in pre school.
My german colleagues used to send their 2 year old to public schools, Commune system, school very near the house, consistent education system throughout Germany. You do not have to worry about education but you might face issue with your kid's tongue getting used to German way of education and him asking you questions in German.

Quote:
4. Are people social like in the US where at least you could get some Indian neighbours or even the Americans would say a polite hello and would be willing to mingle.
Germans keep to themselves, do not party with office crowd but not everyone is same, my project manager and I were very pally and he went to great extent to make my life easy. Same goes for Danes and Swedes.

Quote:
5. What are the kind of rentals I can expect for a 2 BHK in a good neighborhood? And any sites where I can look up what is available
Try ask company take care of this, and pay the company rather than the owner. I never took personal accommodation. There is some tax benefit that the company and you derive this way, not 100% sure.
Old 13th January 2013, 21:35   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

I haven't lived in Germany, but I have lived in the Netherlands next door so to speak. So I've spend a considerable amount of time in Germany, both on business and holiday and trips. For ten years I spend a few days working every month in our Dusseldorf office.

Darmstadt is a little south of Frankfurt and is a nice town. It gets very nice further south. A little to the West and you'll be in the Eiffel.

In general you will find that Germany has excellent public transportation in towns. When you get to the more rural areas, it really depends. But you can get to most places by train and bus.

Germans are extremely efficient and punctual. Everything works perfect! Much more so than in the UK or the US. And everything is kept meticulously clean.

These days, most people will speak English, so you'll be fine in shops and restaurants. Movies and television can be a problem as non-German movies get synchronized with German. Of course, these days most cable TV will offer a whole host of foreign channels on top of the German ones.

Everybody will be polite and by and large will help out if you ask for directions and such. In order to become real friends you will have to speak German. Unless you get lucky and live next door to somebody who's a bit more internationally orientated.

If you like day tripping, go and see and do stuff, Germany is a great country. And of course, you're very near to all other Western European countries as well. So exploring Europe is dead easy.

As this is a car forum: Germany hosts some of the best car shows in the world. Both modern and classic. Also, some of the great car museums. The Mercedes museum to name one.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 13th January 2013 at 21:36.
Old 13th January 2013, 21:57   #420

Chanced upon this thread(thankfully!). Have been giving a serious thought on moving out to either US, Oz or Singapore. Can someone suggest any good agents/consultants for US. For Oz i believe the only way is to get a PR and then quit your current job and go search for a job there. If my understanding is incorrect then let me know. Have no information on Singapore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks