Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2014, 01:48   #796
BHPian

re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Before I answer you couple of questions
  1. How senior is this person in his or her chosen field
  2. How long has he been in USA is he married or single.
Once I know that I will check with a good friend who is the Senior HR Manager with a MNC IT Company here in Internet City Dubai.

I take that he is an Indian ?

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram
He has close to 10yrs of experience and the offer is from one of the Big4 firms.
He is married and in US since 8yrs now. Yep very much Indian
Old 21st August 2014, 18:27   #797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
A colleague of mine working here in the US has an offer to move to Dubai for a couple of years. He has no details yet on the package, but has few questions

Tagging Ram
Have sent you a PM with response

Hope its of use

Best Regards & Drive safe

Ram
Old 8th September 2014, 07:21   #798
BHPian

Hello,

Need a advice/suggestion. My Cousin bro in bangalore, has a offer from IBM Poland.
The jobs are advertized in linkedin and he got contacted directly. It has 2 options of locations, katowice / wroclaw as per information.

Can any IBMer here tell more on the below please

1. He is certified architect in IT (Togaf something) and getting a role of service coordinator, & has close to 15 yr exp.

2. Salary in Euros negotiations still on. Whats the best he could settle for?

3. He wont move his family as kids are in 8-9th std and main motive is to earn money and international experience and nothing excites that IBM PL hiring directly.

4. What to watch out for more carefully and any guidance and advice is much appreciated. (work, oncall, shifts what nots)

(PS: he travels to europe occassionaly germany/italy/sweden)

5. Is it worth it ?

Cheers
Old 19th September 2014, 22:22   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
Hello,

Need a advice/suggestion. My Cousin bro in bangalore, has a offer from IBM Poland.
The jobs are advertized in linkedin and he got contacted directly. It has 2 options of locations, katowice / wroclaw as per information.

Can any IBMer here tell more on the below please

1. He is certified architect in IT (Togaf something) and getting a role of service coordinator, & has close to 15 yr exp.

2. Salary in Euros negotiations still on. Whats the best he could settle for?

3. He wont move his family as kids are in 8-9th std and main motive is to earn money and international experience and nothing excites that IBM PL hiring directly.

4. What to watch out for more carefully and any guidance and advice is much appreciated. (work, oncall, shifts what nots)

(PS: he travels to europe occassionaly germany/italy/sweden)

5. Is it worth it ?

Cheers
Anyone..help required please
Old 20th September 2014, 08:02   #800
BHPian

In my opinion, ask this question on http://www.expatforum.com. You may get accurate answers there.
Old 20th September 2014, 10:06   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
Exciting opportunity and money apart. How long will he stay away from his family? and vice versa how long will his family manage without him around. Is he used to staying alone (meaning cooking his own food and stuff). Kids in high school means they can't be moved either.

This IMO would be the deciding factor more than anything else. The excitement factor would wane away after the initial 'honeymoon' period, he shouldn't regret moving after that.

Its easier to do such things when you are single, it doesn't work the exact same way once you've had a family
Old 21st September 2014, 19:44   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Exciting opportunity and money apart. How long will he stay away from his family? and vice versa how long will his family manage without him around. Is he used to staying alone (meaning cooking his own food and stuff). Kids in high school means they can't be moved either.

This IMO would be the deciding factor more than anything else. The excitement factor would wane away after the initial 'honeymoon' period, he shouldn't regret moving after that.

Its easier to do such things when you are single, it doesn't work the exact same way once you've had a family
DU hostler ....so very much used to cooking etc.

Spent many months in sweden in earlier years so yes, to foreign exposure.

Kids..well he said he can travel or family can travel during vacations.so no issues there.

Only thing is Poland. Katowice. Had it been any other country like Sweden, Germany etc then things are different. Are there no IBM,ers onboard tbhp?

Like said international hiring and experience is main motivator.

Last edited by roadjourno : 21st September 2014 at 19:45.
Old 10th February 2015, 20:29   #803
BHPian

Hi, me and my wife are planning to move to Australia.
The main motive is increase in income and a better lifestyle.
We will be going thru an agent as we both do not have time and patience to do all the paperwork by ourselves.

I need help regarding the experience of moving to a different country.
Is it worth it?
I mean yes, we have a few friends in Australia.
So we are not going to be completly alone there, but still..

How is living experience in there?
Planning for either Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth.
In that order.
Old 10th February 2015, 21:35   #804
BHPian

It seems the focus of this discussion has shifted to helping people migrate

I have a query for those settled abroad since a few years. How well do you feel you have been able to integrate in the local community or culture? Does a sense of belonging develop after some time or does it always feel like living in an alien place?

I understand this would vary from person to person and where exactly one is settled, so if possible please try to factor in such variables while responding
Old 11th February 2015, 19:19   #805
BHPian

Hello Avi,

Well I havent settled yet (only 7 months now) in Germany but have been speaking to a LOT of expats (not just Indians) living here since over 6 years.

They say everything is good except the integration part. Good money, safety, culture, etc but when they are asked, 'are you german yet?" the answer is always NO. When I asked how about living for more than 15 years ?? They said it doesnt matter how long you live in Germany, you would still feel like an expat (or alien as someone I spoke to mentioned). There still will be a sense of stranger when you interact with ppl.

However, when I asked the same thing to someone who are in an English speaking country, the answer was Yes or will soon. (My sis and her husband recently moved to Australia (5 months) and they already feel like home and dont foresee any reasons to come back.

So I think its also to do with what a person comfort levels are and how well he is able to adapt or adjust with the foreign country. I know for sure, I would never be able to integrate within Germany and its culture mainly coz of communication barrier and even thou I learn the language, I think I would still not want to settle here forever. I dont know, but I might have a different opinion if this were a primarily english speaking country.

These are just my opinions based on my discussion with expats here and how i personally feel about living in this part of Germany (Nuremberg area).

Last edited by dar3dev|l : 11th February 2015 at 19:23.
Old 11th February 2015, 19:36   #806
BHPian

One thing that tilts the balance in favor of emigrating is the pollution and adulteration that we find in India. The milk we drink here has carcinogens. The water is polluted. The air smells bad. There is no swachtha anywhere in India.

I am sure living conditions are much better in the US/Canada/UK/Australia/NZ.

Other than this aspect, I see no reason why someone can't be in India and enjoy his or her life to the fullest extent. Of course, finally it all boils down to how much you are earning and how much you are spending.

Also, this is a deeply personal issue. There is no one size fits all solution. For some, India works. For some, UK works.

Three years ago, I got an excellent offer from a global corporation in Seoul. Great role, great package. Still I turned it down because I wasn't sure if my family would be able to cope with Korean lifestyle and language. On the other hand, I know a couple of my friends who are well settled there with their families and are not willing to come back to India ever.

Last month I was supposed to go to the UK but for reasons several, I couldn't. It was actually a relief when I found out that I wouldn't be going to the UK.

Having said all that, I had spent four years in the US and loved each and every bit of my stay there. Given a choice, I would visit the US anytime. But emigration? Not that inclined. Have a great life here and a great car! Don't want to disrupt everything in life and start afresh in a foreign land.

Let me reiterate. These are just my personal views. What works for me may not work for you. However, I feel really strongly about the very first point I made - Pollution and Adulteration. Do I want my kids to grow in such an atmosphere? Maybe not.
Old 11th February 2015, 20:20   #807
Distinguished - BHPian

Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post

Of course, finally it all boils down to how much you are earning and how much you are spending.

As you also say, each to its own and its a personal choice. I would like to think when making such a choice there is more to how much money you are earning and spending.

Irrespective how much you earn and spend living in say Delhi will be a very different experience then living in Dusseldorf, Germany, or San Francisco, USA.

I also think there is a big difference in really emigrating, which suggest a permanent arrangements, or going abroad for several years to study or to work on an Assignment. Even though it could be several years, its a temporary choice. So to some extent you can regard it as an adventure more as a permanent commitment.

My wife and I have moved over the course of our marriage of 32 years 8 or 9 times. Sometimes because of work, sometime of more personal and family preferences. The actual moving is always a huge PITA. But exploring and learning a new country, culture etc has always been a great and worthwhile experience. As we both come from different home countries (barbados/netherlands) as a couple we have never been to attached to a particular country and have gone with the flow, which suited as fine.

The one thing that is really important is to always be open minded wherever you find yourself. If you start comparing against your home country in terms of good and bad you are likely to end up very frustrated very quickly.

Jeroen

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 11th February 2015 at 20:32.
Old 11th February 2015, 20:30   #808
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
The one thing that is really important is to always be open minded wherever you find yourself. If you start comparing against your home country in terms of good and bad you are likely to end up very frustrated very quickly.

Jeroen
Very true. A small but significant example is our reluctance to try a new country's cuisine. E.g. I've met plenty of Indians (including my own parents) who won't eat anything except Indian fare even while traveling abroad. This leads both to unnecessary spending (due to high costs and relatively limited availability) and more importantly, losing out on a golden chance to widen your palate experience.

Gone are the days when vegetarian (or food in general) options were limited, there's plenty of choice nowadays. Even if there isn't, yearning for what you're already used to, to the point you refuse to try anything else just makes one more miserable and unable to cope in the medium/long-term. This extends to everything, not just food.

If adaptability isn't part of one's emotional make-up, emigration (or even frequent travel) can get really painful.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th February 2015 at 20:32.
Old 11th February 2015, 22:50   #809
Senior - BHPian

Guys, how's the job market in Australia? Aftet doing a cursory research, i have chosen Australia (may be NZ too) as my country to work in.

Also, besides the mandatory ISE or some exam, are any other tests i need to clear before securing a job in Australia?
Old 23rd February 2015, 04:13   #810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Guys, how's the job market in Australia? Aftet doing a cursory research, i have chosen Australia (may be NZ too) as my country to work in.

Also, besides the mandatory ISE or some exam, are any other tests i need to clear before securing a job in Australia?
What is your profile? I am currently in Melbourne and quite frankly struggling to find a job to even apply.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks