Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2015, 21:19   #841
Team-BHP Support

re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I don't know about Australia and New Zealand but for Canada, it is not that easy to break into the job market as it may seem, even if there is demand for your role. Be prepared to start at a level lower than your current level. Many people take up survival jobs in the beginning. Decide whether that is something you are willing to do or not.
Canada is only worth it if you are just beginning your career or starting a business
Old 10th March 2015, 21:53   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Canada is only worth it if you are just beginning your career or starting a business
Hello Ajmat,

just out of curiosity, why not ?
Old 11th March 2015, 10:35   #843
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
Hello Ajmat,

just out of curiosity, why not ?
To get a job or enter a profession, however qualified you are, one needs to study again and lose more years of work only to find oneself lower than ones peers.

My cousin is a brilliant engineer, after 15 years in the gulf, upped it and went to Canada, after 10 years, he is getting somewhere on his own but he had to re-qualify to do this.
Old 11th March 2015, 10:48   #844
BHPian

Quote:

To get a job or enter a profession, however qualified you are, one needs to study again and lose more years of work only to find oneself lower than ones peers.

My cousin is a brilliant engineer, after 15 years in the gulf, upped it and went to Canada, after 10 years, he is getting somewhere on his own but he had to re-qualify to do this.
Sadly this is true.But a Canadian citizenship opens up the US job market too. Take this into consideration. A lot of US graduates opt for a job/higher studies in Canada to get citizenship .
Old 11th March 2015, 14:18   #845
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

does this mean, that if you were in software engineer in India, you cannot work for a similar job in Canada unless you do your degree again?
Old 11th March 2015, 15:00   #846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Canada is only worth it if you are just beginning your career
Am curious about the first part of your response too.
Old 11th March 2015, 18:26   #847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
does this mean, that if you were in software engineer in India, you cannot work for a similar job in Canada unless you do your degree again?
Not really. There are two kinds of professions in Canada. Regulated and non regulated. The regulated ones require almost going back to college. These include law practice, health care, education industry to name a few. Software engineering is non regulated so you can get away with your existing qualifications. However, you may still have to start at a level lower than your current level. On the positive side, even at the lower level, you would still be earning more than you were in India and can afford a pretty decent standard of living.
Old 12th March 2015, 22:52   #848
BHPian

Anyone know the advantages of an Australian PR and a Canadian PR ? Do either of these allow you to work / live in the USA?

Also, with an Australian PR, you're eligible to live, work, study in New Zealand. Is this right only valid until your PR VISA is valid, or is that valid indefinitely?

Just confused right now between Australia PR and Canada PR. I'd also be happy for any insights on what to choose based on quality of living and IT job options.

Thanks!!
Old 12th March 2015, 22:55   #849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Anyone know the advantages of an Australian PR and a Canadian PR ? Do either of these allow you to work / live in the USA?

Also, with an Australian PR, you're eligible to live, work, study in New Zealand. Is this right only valid until your PR VISA is valid, or is that valid indefinitely?

Just confused right now between Australia PR and Canada PR. I'd also be happy for any insights on what to choose based on quality of living and IT job options.

Thanks!!
Canadian PR does not allow you to work in US. Once you become a PR, it does not take long to become a Canadian citizen (3 years i think) And then you can find employment in US but you will still need to get a visa, which you can get at entry point to US by showing your employment letter.

Can't really comment on the comparison though.
Old 13th March 2015, 03:24   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Canadian
O Canada,
Mirage for some and Life for some.
I had the pleasure of staying in Canada from 2008 -2010 ( one year education + one year work visa).

Canada is an independent country, and has been the refuge for Immigrants, right from the beginning.
Pierre Trudeau introduced the Multiculturalism Policy in 1971, promoting immigration as a policy, and it was never looking back till Jason Kenney took office.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...tion_to_Canada

(Please also read of Indian Immigration and Continuous Journey Regulation of 1908 in the article above).

Even today as I type there will be off the boat (OTB) or just simply boat, these are general slang terms not to offend but put reality in picture. (terms used to describe immigrants that have arrived from a foreign nation and have not yet assimilated into the host nation's culture, language, and behavior) people entering Canada, from across the world, in search for better.

Present scenario: Canada also has industries, businesses jobs etc etc.
Some Industry, businesses, jobs, do well, and some not, like any other country.
Earlier Canada was a Manufacturing hub of USA, am not sure if it was Nafta or the exchange rate. Presently China and manufacturing has changed the landscape, and Canada is becoming more of a service economy.

Just like in India, a Nurse requires professional certification (an example), some jobs in Canada require relevant background.

Now people who study in India have course/syllabus/ regulations as per Indian laws/acts/ parliament, keeping in view the welfare of Indians in India.

Similar is also the case with any other country, or Canada.

People from India have been immigrating to Canada for better, as always.

Now friction happens when a person who studied in India enters the job market of Canada, similar for a Canadian to enter Indian Job Market.

Basic survival skills to start I feel is English communication skills as Canada though is officially Bilingual, French is only predominant in Quebec. But some jobs do need you to be fluent in French also.

Convent Education is a winner here. Why am I saying is, service economy always needs communication skilled employee.

What do I do If I am an engineer/ Doctor/ lawyer/ etc etc from India or any other country, and will like to be part of skilled work force in Canada.

(Now this is a problem just like Air Canada which does not directly fly into India but only has code sharing)

In India, Architect/ Doctor/ etc etc get a licence with a number, same in Canada, so re certifying existing skills as per Canadian guidelines comes in the picture, this is only fyi, and more detail help can be found at corresponding professional regulatory authority of the intended country.

It is not to say that people without language skills or professional skills have not flourished, some have not only flourished but have become pillars for Canadian economy.

A kid starts in nursery, and post ten years comes out of school, similarly time is needed for being successful, assimilating into Canada's culture, language, and behavior, if that is the final purpose.

Canadian government in general wants new Legal Immigrant to survive and thrive, their main purpose and economic goal.
They provide help in terms of education funds, immigrant acclimatizing centers, paid day care, child benefit in general.

We all have played the snake and ladder game, life is similar, and success or excellence is not a leisurely mistake.

IT as a sector:
Indian IT companies are all present in Canada.
Field of IT, whose demand and needs have been constantly churning, and the Government just like any Government has suddenly realized, that it has no control over it (certification/education requirements). It also does not want to control, coz it is a change management happening all over the world.

I have worked for a small Local IT company in Toronto, and can tell you a little of Canadian work environment. We had a medium office with pantry, and everyone managed their own stuff/work. The only time I was asked a non work role was to water the two planters once as both boss were away. There was zero dependency, every time, every assignment, I was asked as if seeking permission. Also people in general are more productive, in their role, or with their time, or only those survive.

Also to survive and thrive in Canada one has to be more manly (may I use it as a term only) due to weather/ snow. In India we have so many people to do stuff for us.

What earlier waves of immigrants landing did was as per requirements of that time. But with jobs drying up across the world, Canada has tweaked the immigration policy accordingly - Fast Entry but selective of ones who can survive and thrive.

Canada is great for outdoor type people, who prefer snowmobile than a car.
Fishing ( prefer catch and release) starts with childhood just like French Immersion. Poutine or fries with sauce a favorite food.
having Firearms licence for hunting is good just like a Fishing licence.
Across Canada you find signs warning of deer crossing, and there are legal hunt tags available for deer/ bears etc.

This is more of a New World thing, outdoors, hunting, fishing, boats and you have a store - Bass pro (Temple for outdoor people).
Canada at least is blessed with number of wild animals, and yes Beaver their national animal, can also be hunted, legal.
Road kill are common, and damage to car is always more in a deer/moose crash.

Trappers and Hunters is a occupation officially listed in Canada, and Canada has seal hunts, and some Canadians are also concerned of Dogs as human food but, in China.

Canadian geese are social but are treated like a pest, especially when they go south seeking sun and entering USA.

Canadians save their money and shop at USA border, as Canada has GST and PST. Taking of GST/PST (tax), some new immigrant business advertise of no GST/PST meaning cash sale, like in India, and by some Indians.

Finally since this is a forum of automobile enthusiast, amazing free roads away from city.

Since my time was spent in Ontario province, I end this post with the message found on all Ontario plates,

'YOURS TO DISCOVER'
Attached Thumbnails
Emigrating to a Foreign Land!-on2008mapleleafs.jpg  

Old 13th March 2015, 09:10   #851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
O Canada,
Mirage for some and Life for some.
I had the pleasure of staying in Canada from 2008 -2010 ( one year education + one year work visa)...Since my time was spent in Ontario province, I end this post with the message found on all Ontario plates, 'YOURS TO DISCOVER'
Now that, kind sir, is a post worthy of a

Thank you so much for sharing that amazing piece of information with the community.

I'm sure that it's going to benefit everyone who's looking to immigrate & settle down in Canada, myself included!

Just a few quick questions for you, if you don't mind.
Are you still in Canada at this moment? Or are you currently settled in India? And how important is French for people trying to immigrate?
Old 13th March 2015, 14:22   #852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
And how important is French for people trying to immigrate?
You get some points for having French proficiency in the immigration points system. French language is requirement to immigrate to Quebec province.

Quote:
Canadian geese are social but are treated like a pest, especially when they go south seeking sun and entering USA.
Interesting trivia: Canadian geese were the birds that were responsible for the famous Hudson emergency landing in 2009.
Old 13th March 2015, 14:59   #853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
?
Thank you Sourav,

Yes post April 2010, am full time in India by choice and family reason.

Regarding French : language/culture/influence to a average Canadian.

Quebec is one the province in Canada, whose first settlers were from France. And till date French way of life is predominant, but in Quebec only.

Quebec is also a naughty child of Canada, and at every opportunity, wants to break away from Canada to become an independent country or sovereignty. And every time this friction happens, is persuaded back in Canada with huge cash incentives from Center ie Ottawa.

In my Two years in Toronto there was only one incident, when at a bar two born and bought up Canadians totally involved and conversing in French as if to impress each other or touch base or polishing their French language skills.
And siting beside I could make out it was little bit of each.

That was the only time I heard French among Public, as far as I remember, apart from usual public service message at Airport, may be.

This experience to highlight the need of French language skills in your daily life in Canada, but excluding the area of Quebec.

Regarding Jobs yes and no, higher level or Govt jobs or any jobs which require you to be fluent in French will mention it. Jobs which need you to be fluent in French are also well paying. French language skills are a bonus or an acquired taste, like wine knowledge, not mandatory but an add on.
Hope it helps.
Old 30th March 2015, 00:00   #854
BHPian

The title of this thread is wrong, it should be immigrating
Old 30th March 2015, 05:28   #855
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandher View Post
The title of this thread is wrong, it should be immigrating
Not really. You might want to check this link.
http://www.vocabulary.com/articles/c...grate-migrate/

Quote:
Emigrate means to leave one's country to live in another. Immigrate is to come into another country to live permanently. Migrate is to move, like bird in the winter.

The choice between emigrate,immigrate, and migrate depends on the sentence's point of view. Emigrate is to immigrate as go is to come. If the sentence is looking at the point of departure, use emigrate. The point of arrival? Immigrate. Talking about the actual process of moving? Use migrate.

Emigrate means you are exiting your current homeland

Most Viewed