Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2015, 14:22   #931
BHPian

re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post

I've looked through their immigration pages and it seems like a catch-22 situation. To apply for a work visa, one must have a job offer for a min of 2 years from an employer based out of Ireland. Having said that, if you approach any agencies and job portals in Ireland, they'd invariably ask if you have a work visa/permit. That's quite a bummer!
I think the best bet is to seek formal education for about a year (a professional Masters) and then try one's luck in the job market there. Not certain how useful that might turn out to be!

Nevertheless, I was kind of hoping to understand from TBHP brethren based out of Ireland on how the job situation is like out there.

Cheers.
-Subhash

P.S: I am an IT chap with a little over 13 years of work experience now.

To get a job its always best to go through personal connections or alumni network. Develop your LinkedIn profile as in Europe that is used a lot. You need to be good at networking.

IT industry is fairly large in Ireland with lot of companies and in your field jobs might be relatively easy compared to say Marketing.

Going for education there and looking for job is easier then sitting here but even for that you will have to network.

I would suggest try networking route first and if that does not work then go for study route option.
Old 30th September 2015, 16:31   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
To get a job its always best to go through personal connections or alumni network. Develop your LinkedIn profile as in Europe that is used a lot. You need to be good at networking.

IT industry is fairly large in Ireland with lot of companies and in your field jobs might be relatively easy compared to say Marketing.

Going for education there and looking for job is easier then sitting here but even for that you will have to network.

I would suggest try networking route first and if that does not work then go for study route option.
Heydj, thanks muchly for taking time out to respond to my query. I'm in the process of sprucing up my Linkedin profile. I'll also require to pick up some new skills to make myself more marketable in the Irish job market.
I hear that IT (called ICT in Ireland) is pretty vibrant when it comes to job opportunities.
Education is the last resort and I've narrowed down on a couple of programs in the top universities in Ireland which just might work. But as you said, the first approach will be via networking and seeking a job directly.
Old 6th October 2015, 18:25   #933
BHPian

Hi Friends,
Finally, I've decided to work on moving to foreign land myself after waiting 9 years in IT Quality Assurance without a single onsite opportunity.
Basically, I'm a functional tester with Mainframe development background. I look for countries which are welcoming to immigrants. Like Canada for instance.
First of all, I would like to get your valuable inputs on how to arrive at a solution on
Which country to immigrate?
How one should plan for risk mitigation in case a failure occurs? For ex,if I'm not able to find a job of desired profile after immigrating.
What kind of roadmap I should follow to widen my skillset? will certifications like PMP,CSM help or should I look for any technical courses like CA-LISA, Test Automation.etc?
Old 19th October 2015, 15:11   #934
Senior - BHPian

I am moving to the US on a work permit. I had few questions to which I hope to find some answers here.

1. What is the easiest and legal way to transfer cash to the US? Is it easy to convert our local bank account to NRO? Don't want to be flouting any FEMA rules. Basically to buy a car and setup life.

2. I have a great credit history here, but when we land in US we start with zero history. What are the best way to build up history fast?

3. Are there any reliable organizations that arrange for car loans? Heard of Intl Auto source and Expatride. Are these dependable?

4. Phone connections.. how do they work and what plans/service providers are most dependable? I am planning to be located in Texas but with quite a bit of travel.

5. Schools - How to choose, rate and admit children?

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th October 2015, 15:14   #935
Senior - BHPian

Hey, anyone here on an Express Entry to Canada? Or starting the process? Would be nice to just share notes.
Old 19th October 2015, 22:31   #936
BHPian

My wife has been working in biotechnology for 3 years now, and has a PG in biotechnology. What's she got to do to find a job in Canada with these skills and education credentials?
Old 19th October 2015, 23:31   #937
BHPian

See my replies in-line, hope it helps. One standard advice is not to rush into making decisions at a breakneck speed , but spend time in researching before jumping into the water. Lot of fine prints in almost everything you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I am moving to the US on a work permit. I had few questions to which I hope to find some answers here.

1. What is the easiest and legal way to transfer cash to the US? Is it easy to convert our local bank account to NRO? Don't want to be flouting any FEMA rules. Basically to buy a car and setup life.
Best is to take the maximum amount in cash ( which i think is 10K USD ) and rest via a NRO account. One of the most important thing you need to do is to open a bank account in US , ASAP.
Quote:
2. I have a great credit history here, but when we land in US we start with zero history. What are the best way to build up history fast?
No comments
Quote:
3. Are there any reliable organizations that arrange for car loans? Heard of Intl Auto source and Expatride. Are these dependable?
Usually there will be federal credit unions associated with your employer , for example , we have a aero federal credit union, these are easy to approach and they process the applications faster. I have no idea on the 2 sources you have mentioned.
Quote:
4. Phone connections.. how do they work and what plans/service providers are most dependable? I am planning to be located in Texas but with quite a bit of travel.
Complex problem and depends on your zip code and number of lines you want. AT&T would be OK i guess, but , cell connectivity is not that great , especially for data.
Quote:
5. Schools - How to choose, rate and admit children?
Again, there are many resources like greatschools.org which will help you, but ask for other Indians in your company / community as your zip code determines your school district and the correlation between great schools and number of Indians holds good IMHO

Rate: Free till high school if you admit your ward to public schools ( some minor expenses like field trips, hobbies, extra classes would be there)

Public Charter school : They charge a per month fees and are slightly exclusive and expensive than public schools.

Private schools : Hugely expensive

Take birth certificates without fail, vaccination records and TC from the school in india. Usually they are strict when it comes to age while admission

All the very best.

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th October 2015 at 00:16. Reason: edited for better readability
Old 20th October 2015, 00:00   #938
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't think Cash and Legal normally go together , if you have funds in Bank account - you can get these converted to Travel card , even negotiate exchange rates at time of loading with your Bank here . Alternatively you can wire from India when you reach US and have your account setup . I don't think just by virtue of work permit you can convert your account to NRO - you need to spend some time overseas first . Another option will be to get Travel cheques but Travel card will be easier & you can use anywhere including your payment for Car - most of dealerships will gladly take cards .
Quote:
Try Amex - if you have a Amex Card here you can surely try in US - they can pull up your Indian card detail history . Else you can try to get a small value Credit card from your Bank where you open account.

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th October 2015 at 00:07.
Old 20th October 2015, 00:22   #939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
My wife has been working in biotechnology for 3 years now, and has a PG in biotechnology. What's she got to do to find a job in Canada with these skills and education credentials?
I trust she has to get her degree verified. In other terms, get her credentials re-assessed in Canada. This is to ascertain whether her qualifications match Canadian standards. Once the qualifications are found to be matching, she will be given a certificate with which she can search for jobs in her field.

I think the following link should help - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...assessment.asp

has she got her PR btw?
Old 20th October 2015, 03:41   #940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post

Thanks in advance.
I found Lycamobile at $27 a month to be a good buy. It comes with unlimited text, call and data in US. In addition, it offers unlimited calls to India ( limited to first five numbers dialed), 1200 extra minutes to other numbers in India and unlimited international texts. Service is comparable to T-mobile. I would rate it above average but a great value for money.

Thanks

Himanshu
Old 20th October 2015, 07:11   #941
BHPian

Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Gentlemen!

How about the job market in Canada.

Esp for a 12-15 years experienced guy in Manufacturing in Auto OEMs.

It would be great if anybody already in Canada has something to say..

Looking for my close pal!

Regards,

Maverick79

Workopolis Canada is a great site to hunt for jobs in Canada. Not sure about the recent job market situation there although employers always ask for local experience, so start early with whatever job you get first, socialize and build your network and that should open up more avenues.
Old 20th October 2015, 07:47   #942
BHPian

Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

It ultimately depends upon how much you end up earning there. Else be prepared to live a mediocre life sending kids to a public school, renting an apt in basement for life and go into depression with a heavy mortgage added by nostalgia missing all the weddings, social events and family support and friends back home and cursing you were better off at home.

Be prepared to accept racism at a rate higher than other western places in places like Melbourne and Sydney. My personal opinion is do a ground check by asking your friends although most of those who are already staying there are living in denial by blatantly refusing to accept it.

Hey BTW we are racist too! We can't tolerate folks from other states taking away local jobs, so how would you expect them to be too tolerant? Brisbane and Perth are better options to Sydney and Melbourne but comparatively less jobs.

Bay Area, Jersey city, Toronto, Vancouver and even London frankly I found to be more accepting and used to of desis. I also hear of NZ to be warm for us.

Some of it is my personal opinion and while I agree and commend some of the pro opinions of staying back in India, 'you do what you got to do' as one of my Asian friends used to say in American accent making it quite funny!

Money can get better treatment for your parents of course as long as you don't turn up being a selfish bitch in the end deciding against visiting home and totally relying on moolah to take care of your folks back home! Better option you go there and eventually fly and settle them there if they would! My folks had hard time staying there for more than 3 months in a stretch.

The silver lining of staying back here is selfless leaders like our current prime and defense ministers are making a big impact and hope is there that we will see drastic improvements in our infra and quality of life so to speak and reap the benefits of hefty taxation system!

There is still lot more to do and long time to wait and miles to walk ......to give it a poetic end!

Last edited by TMRT : 20th October 2015 at 07:53.
Old 20th October 2015, 13:48   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
I trust she has to get her degree verified. In other terms, get her credentials re-assessed in Canada. This is to ascertain whether her qualifications match Canadian standards. Once the qualifications are found to be matching, she will be given a certificate with which she can search for jobs in her field.

I think the following link should help - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...assessment.asp

has she got her PR btw?
Thanks! Yes, we both have PR. I was the primary applicant and went through IELTS and credential evaluation. We're thoroughly confused what needs to be done in her case. Certify through a regulatory body (which one?), or evaluate her credentials, take IELTS/TOEFL?
Old 20th October 2015, 16:11   #944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Yes, we both have PR. I was the primary applicant and went through IELTS and credential evaluation. We're thoroughly confused what needs to be done in her case. Certify through a regulatory body (which one?), or evaluate her credentials, take IELTS/TOEFL?
But isn't that how the score is calculated - with the details from the spouse also being entered?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...d/crs-tool.asp

My bad - reread your post and now I understand - you are the primary applicant, hence you haven't done any accreditation assessment for your wife.

Why not check in canadavisa forum - someone will be able to help in this situation.

Last edited by naveenroy : 20th October 2015 at 16:14.
Old 20th October 2015, 20:58   #945
BHPian

Quote:
We're thoroughly confused what needs to be done in her case. Certify through a regulatory body (which one?), or evaluate her credentials, take IELTS/TOEFL?
As far as I know, IELTS or TOEFL is not required for a dependent. In her case, her degree and qualifications needs to be re-assessed. As you have already done it for yourself, I trust you can follow the same process.

There are a number of organizations which does these evaluations - for example - WES. - http://www.wes.org/ca/immigrants/

Alternatively you can refer to CanadaVisa forum - http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-imm...oard/index.php

hope this helps.

Thanks,
Gabriel

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks