Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2016, 05:19   #976
BHPian

re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
For people who migrated to australia, did you go via an agency or was all the work done by self?

I can see that my job is a part of the skilled occupation list, if that helps.
I did it all by myself. No agents.
Old 18th March 2016, 11:44   #977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For people who migrated to australia, did you go via an agency or was all the work done by self?

I did the entire process on my own. Its a pretty straightforward step by step process.
Old 18th March 2016, 12:02   #978
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Didn't use an agency.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3722879

P.S: Quite a number of BHPians in Australia I guess. It'll be great if you can guide the newbies to all things related to automobiles I'm keen in watching HSV, Falcon racing series if any in a track.

Last edited by kiku007 : 18th March 2016 at 12:05.
Old 19th April 2016, 09:32   #979
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks down under - does it make sense to do a shift from US to Australia? There are personal reason(s) that might be relevant, but trying to see if it makes sense from a third person's view. On the job front, this will be just an internal shift within the org, so not that much a change there.

Awaiting views
Old 19th April 2016, 09:37   #980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Folks down under - does it make sense to do a shift from US to Australia? There are personal reason(s) that might be relevant, but trying to see if it makes sense from a third person's view. On the job front, this will be just an internal shift within the org, so not that much a change there.

Awaiting views
If I was you, I would never make such a move primarily because the job scene in Australia is pretty bad right now. Even though you will be coming with a job in hand, changing or looking for another one may be a challenge depending on what your skills are. Where exactly in Australia are you planning to come? If it is going to be Sydney bear in mind that it is one of the most expensive cities in the world to stay. Melbourne is cheaper and has much better quality of life if you ask me, but again the job market is small compared to Sydney.

If I were you I would probably stay back in US.
Old 19th April 2016, 09:54   #981
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
If I was you, I would never make such a move primarily because the job scene in Australia is pretty bad right now. Even though you will be coming with a job in hand, changing or looking for another one may be a challenge depending on what your skills are. Where exactly in Australia are you planning to come? If it is going to be Sydney bear in mind that it is one of the most expensive cities in the world to stay. Melbourne is cheaper and has much better quality of life if you ask me, but again the job market is small compared to Sydney.

If I were you I would probably stay back in US.
Thanks. The option available is at Melbourne. I am aware of the cost of living of both cities, I have been down under for a short stint nearly 10 years ago. Loved the country and the (relatively) easy lifestyle, and hence the itch

Didn't know the job market was down; how's the market for someone with B2B/B2C sales & marketing experience (in India)?
Old 19th April 2016, 10:12   #982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. The option available is at Melbourne. I am aware of the cost of living of both cities, I have been down under for a short stint nearly 10 years ago. Loved the country and the (relatively) easy lifestyle, and hence the itch

Didn't know the job market was down; how's the market for someone with B2B/B2C sales & marketing experience (in India)?
Very difficult. The Indian experience won't count for much because the demographics of the population are different. They will ask for local experience for most jobs (even tech jobs for some reason), it is all the more important for marketing jobs.

It is a lovely country indeed and quality of produce of food is one of the best in the world.
Old 19th April 2016, 10:16   #983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Very difficult. The Indian experience won't count for much because the demographics of the population are different. They will ask for local experience for most jobs (even tech jobs for some reason), it is all the more important for marketing jobs.

It is a lovely country indeed and quality of produce of food is one of the best in the world.
With my limited experience here, I agree completeley with extreme-torque. Local experiecne is all they are after. I guess once you get few years of it, your foreign experience will also start counting. Global certifications will help you though, I am a PMP and a CBAP, this helped me land my job quicker than many others who were not certified, me thinks.
Old 24th April 2016, 11:28   #984
BHPian

Quote:

Awaiting views
No, no, no, noooo - Just because this is Team-BHP AND if you happen to be a Petrolhead (*)!

Seriously, there is no proper answer - it totally depends on the individual circumstances.

During the past few years, when the Global Financial Crisis hit USA, UK etc very hard, Australia was a beacon of success, purely due to the mining boom. Now, that it is a mining bust, Australian job market is very bad.
There is a huge amount of unemployed / underemployed people.
Indian experience doesn't count for much. Sales & Marketing is an impossible field for foreigners.

But, you have a HUGE advantage that you are coming on a transfer.

Australia is undoubtedly, one of THE best places in the world to live. But the cost of living, especially when you compare to the US is horrendous. The house prices are unaffordable. If you are coming from a place like LA / SF / NY, you would find Australian cost of living ok, otherwise it would be a shock.

We call it the "Australian tax" - everyone from Apple to Mercedes Benz openly fleece the "rich, captive" Aussies and the prices we pay are ridiculously high compared to the US.

(*) My petrolhead comment - If you are very successful here & can afford a $75,000 car, you can afford only a base model Merc C class or BMW 3 series. Now, think what glorious machinery $75,000 can get you in the US! (Don't convert - a $ here is a $ there, I have seen the Aus$ fluctuate between US$ 0.48 to 1.12!

At the end of the day, whichever country it is, life is pretty much the same for us middle-class, employed professionals. You have a decent life, educate your kids, pay off a house, save something for retirement!

Australia is definitely a far more peaceful place than the US - we don't have no-go zones in the big cities, school shootings etc.
Life in Sydney & Melbourne is hectic, like in any major metro.

But, for job & career prospects, the US leaves Australia for dead. You are definitely much better off in the world's biggest economy.

For healthcare (very important as you get older), Australia leaves the US for dead - the universal (taxed) Medicare is great.

In my 20+ years here, I have seen Australia become more & more like the US :(. Unfortunately, successive right wing Liberal governments have been especially trying to "Americanise" the wonderful Medicare & education sectors. Private health insurance is mandatory after a certain income. The universities are selling their prestige courses by offering a certain % of "full fee" seats to the "creamy" layer (i.e. rich & "thick" ) etc.

Many Aussie expats return home when their kids are of high school age.

One final, interesting tidbit:

Australians have a special US visa class for employer-sponsored visas - so they don't need to fight for the H1B visas. It may be different this year (due to the economy), but for the last few years (while the H1B quota gets filled up in a week), the vast majority of the 10,000 US visas offered to Australians went unutilised!

Good Luck, with whatever you decide.

Last edited by LTAutoMad : 24th April 2016 at 11:48.
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:27   #985
BHPian

Hello all - I am looking to jump into the immigration ship. I am looking for Canada or Australia. Hows the IT job market in both the countries? Which country is better in terms of cost of living, salaries, medical care, education? I am working in IT sector with 6 years of experience in Support. Out of that, close to 4 years in Banking- managing and supporting contact(call) centers. I am married and have a kid who is going to be 2 later next month.

Thanks in advance!
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:54   #986
Senior - BHPian

Thinking of a move to Canada soon, either by getting a job there or applying directly for a PR. Can someone who has gone through this list down the pro's and con's.

Canada is selected based on the ease of the whole process. I don't mind any other western country too, the criteria is more to do with moving from India than a particular choice of a western country.

Any kind of information appreciated.
Old 23rd May 2016, 21:04   #987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Thinking of a move to Canada soon, either by getting a job there or applying directly for a PR. Can someone who has gone through this list down the pro's and con's.

Canada is selected based on the ease of the whole process. I don't mind any other western country too, the criteria is more to do with moving from India than a particular choice of a western country.

Any kind of information appreciated.

A word of caution. Lots of research has shown that those making a very distinct positive choice for a particular country to emigrate are more successful then those that just want to leave their home country. It seems, I might be wrong, you just want to leave India. Fine, but i would suggest you really make up your mind why and what it is you are looking for. You might find yourself very disappointed otherwise

Good luck
Jeroen
Old 24th May 2016, 08:02   #988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I don't mind any other western country too, the criteria is more to do with moving from India than a particular choice of a western country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Lots of research has shown that those making a very distinct positive choice for a particular country to emigrate are more successful then those that just want to leave their home country.
Totally agree with Jeroen on this.

Early on in my career, I had the opportunity to spend a year in Japan on deputation. I was single then, and had no clue what to expect (it was my first trip out of India). But I liked almost everything about Japan (the culture, convenience, polite behaviour) and did miss it once I went back to India. I did put in the effort and learnt the language too (spoken, not written).

After that I got married and our first child arrived too. Five years after my first trip to Japan, I got an offer for a long-term job opportunity in Japan. I did not think twice and took it immediately. The main reason was that I knew that it was a safe and comfortable place and that my wife and daughter will not have any problems living here. Luckily for me, they loved it as well.

Unless I forget, I did spend a few months in Europe too in between my two trips to Japan. For several reasons, I prefer Japan to Europe. My German colleagues keep asking me why I like Japan. I think it is a personal thing.

The point I am trying to make, humyum, is - please do not be in haste. It is a big decision, and one that affects your life in a big way. If you are single, you may still be okay. But once you have a family, their convenience, comfort and safety is paramount. Look at long-term opportunities, climate (some countries, I believe including Canada, have severe winters that we may find difficult to get used to), general attitude of people towards foreigners (it has changed a lot in the past few years, especially in EU and US) and get feedback from people who have lived in that country for 2 - 3 years at least.

Good luck and keep us posted!

And yes, do remember that saying about grass being greener on the other side.
Old 25th May 2016, 00:01   #989
BHPian

Agreed with @jeroen

Ah @viju reading it makes me regret my recent decision even more. I went to Qatar last year for a short term and loved it. Unfortunately due to a personal situation could not opt for it when an opportunity arose to go again. Really can feel what you mean about the comfort bit. On that note, can anyone assist on emigration to the Middle East especially the GCC region. Any pointers on the process etc would be helpful, thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 11:56   #990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
On that note, can anyone assist on emigration to the Middle East especially the GCC region. Any pointers on the process etc would be helpful, thanks
NO! There is no possibility of "emigration" to any GCC countries, as far as I am aware. You can only "immigrate" to GCC provided you have a valid employment/business offer that comes with a valid resident visa.

Trust this assists

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks