Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2019, 17:56   #1396
Team-BHP Support

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
Hope you find peace in your life and stop looking down on fellow human beings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
And I don’t hold it to them, it’s their country after all!
Guys, it's done & dusted, action was taken. Please don't start this discussion up again.

Thank you!
Old 9th October 2019, 22:59   #1397
Senior - BHPian

Just want to make a point here: Most Punjabis (in the US) you see in the trucking business are refugees who came to the US during the turmoil in North India a few decades back. Doesn't matter how they came, they are just extremely hard-working people. As the saying goes- "Without truck drivers, the only thing you'd put in your mouth is your foot."
Old 11th October 2019, 09:15   #1398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Guys, it's done & dusted, action was taken. Please don't start this discussion up again.

Thank you!
Hope members read this post. Best would be to close this thread and start a new one on the same subject.
Old 20th November 2019, 15:57   #1399
BANNED

I am 42 years old. Working in Oman for nearly 6 years. I am looking for an opportunity to migrate to a developed country.
Australia is one of them.
Unfortunately, I don’t know anyone related to Architecture / building construction industry in Australia.

I have so many questions.
Starting off with:
  • What is the job market like in Architecture?
  • What is considered a typical middle class salary in Australia?
  • How is education for children (middle school)?
  • Health care?

Last edited by aah78 : 20th November 2019 at 19:45. Reason: Spacing, LIST.
Old 22nd November 2019, 10:36   #1400

What is the job market like in Architecture?
Not sure for Architects, however govt recently announced that they will spend more on infrastructure projects, leading to more employment. Present unemployment sits at around 5%
What is considered a typical middle class salary in Australia?
$ 100K
How is education for children (middle school)?
Education is not as demanding on kids at mid school level, significantly ramps up at high school level. Overall cant complain.
Health care?
Free
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:05   #1401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gausum View Post
Health care?
Free

Well, yes and no in a way?

Citizens and Permanent Residents are covered by a well funded Government system called Medicare which offers free healthcare in government hospitals and also covers private healthcare to a certain extent.

However, please read about Medicare Levy and Medicare Levy Surcharge.

https://www.canstar.com.au/health-in...medicare-levy/

https://www.canstar.com.au/health-in...rge-explained/

Many pay for private health insurance instead of paying 1% to 1.5% of household income as Medicare Levy Surcharge to the Government.

Last edited by kiku007 : 22nd November 2019 at 11:07.
Old 23rd November 2019, 12:36   #1402
BHPian

Guys, which is the best country to immigrate as a doctor ? In terms of clearing licence exams and the residency slots .

Any help from doctors who have been there done that, is highly appreciated.

Canada for example is super hard when it comes to getting a residency spot, from what I hear.
Old 28th November 2019, 02:52   #1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post

I have so many questions.
Starting off with:
  • What is the job market like in Architecture?
  • What is considered a typical middle class salary in Australia?
  • How is education for children (middle school)?
  • Health care?
1. If you are going to practice as an architect in Australia, you need to submit your credentials and portfolio for assessment and clear their accreditation exams to practice inland. The initial payment will be less in comparison to architects who have a local degree
2. Depending on your region, 100-150k will be the median income level.
3. Education is on par with international standards but it all depends on the city you reside in.
4. Health care is free for PR and Citizens

Last edited by ajmat : 28th November 2019 at 09:59. Reason: typo
Old 29th November 2019, 04:44   #1404
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Well, yes and no in a way?

Many pay for private health insurance instead of paying 1% to 1.5% of household income as Medicare Levy Surcharge to the Government.
Also, not to forget the fact that private insurance companies raise premiums by almost 3% every year!
Old 1st December 2019, 12:34   #1405
BHPian

Hi all! I have a question on the Education accreditation that we need to get for Canada PR. I am planning to use WES for it. It seems the new rules are we should ask the university to send the transcripts to WES directly. Is this right? Also I have done an year long executive course from IIM Calcutta. I am planning to include it for my application. How do I request for transcript from IIM ? Your inputs appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd December 2019, 08:16   #1406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hi all! I have a question on the Education accreditation that we need to get for Canada PR. I am planning to use WES for it. It seems the new rules are we should ask the university to send the transcripts to WES directly. Is this right? Also I have done an year long executive course from IIM Calcutta. I am planning to include it for my application. How do I request for transcript from IIM ? Your inputs appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Hi All! Few more questions. I am an IT professional with over 10 years of experience, out of which 7 yrs is in Retail banking production support. Few of my friends are suggesting me to try for Australia instead of Canada. Seeking the views of this forum on Canada vs Australia.

P.S - I am a single father. Will immigrate and bring my son to the country where i stay an year later from my immigration.
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:49   #1407

Quote:
Maybe this link can help for requesting the transcripts https://www.iimcal.ac.in/ldp-payment...on-and-courier
Old 2nd December 2019, 12:39   #1408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danF View Post
Maybe this link can help for requesting the transcripts https://www.iimcal.ac.in/ldp-payment...on-and-courier
Thanks a lot!! this works!!
Old 2nd December 2019, 22:51   #1409

Quote:
Hi All! Few more questions. I am an IT professional with over 10 years of experience, out of which 7 yrs is in Retail banking production support. Few of my friends are suggesting me to try for Australia instead of Canada. Seeking the views of this forum on Canada vs Australia. .
WES won't certify your one-year degree as a master's degree, you need to check ICES or IQAS, I would advise you to contact all the assessment agencies before sending your transcripts for evaluation, here are the links to contact
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...num=681&top=29
And regarding work-related concerns, take a look at the job openings available in both the countries, that will give you a comprehensible idea. Canada is pretty strict about its immigrants though, if your work profile doesn't match with your degree there is a risk of rejection. Which country will be better, depends entirely on your requirements.
Old 2nd December 2019, 23:22   #1410
BHPian

Quote:
It seems the new rules are we should ask the university to send the transcripts to WES directly. Is this right? Also I have done an year long executive course from IIM Calcutta. I am planning to include it for my application. How do I request for transcript from IIM ? Your inputs appreciated. Thanks in advance!
This rule has been in place since long and isn't new. The way I did it was to collect it from my University and then mail it to WES which is equivalent to University sending it directly to WES because while getting it from the University its a sealed envelop which cannot be opened/tampered. For requesting transcripts from IIM I would suggest you write to the students desk/help desk with the University. They are generally helpful.

Quote:
Hi All! Few more questions. I am an IT professional with over 10 years of experience, out of which 7 yrs is in Retail banking production support. Few of my friends are suggesting me to try for Australia instead of Canada. Seeking the views of this forum on Canada vs Australia.
Not sure about Australia but Canadian market is currently flooded with people in IT. You have a heavy influx of people from US whose visa extensions are being denied. Compared to US, the Canadian market isnt that big for such a huge influx of people. I would suggest to first check out the job openings and the pay that you are getting for those opportunities. Canada has higher taxes as well compared to the US. So do take that also into account while deciding if the move will be worthy of it. Your best option is to try and get a transfer from your current organization is possible as it would save you a great deal of trouble. Going there and searching for something is a really big risk IMHO. This is because, while some have got jobs in a couple of months, some others have have been jobless for over a year and are now out of funds. They are doing survival jobs to just make a living here. I am not trying to scare you here but just presenting the market scenario so that you can prepare accordingly as you would be coming with your son.
With my limited knowledge on Australia, I guess the immigration for Australia is more difficult than Canada. To sum it up, check for job opportunities vis-a-vis the pay in Canada and Australia and go for the market which has higher opportunities in your field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zehhatter View Post
WES won't certify your one-year degree as a master's degree
Not necessary. They do certify a one year degree as Masters

Most Viewed