Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2012, 22:54   #286
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!! Is It Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
sir pardon my ignorance but please guide if the above statement is remotely true even for a very small percentage,
Almost any statement will be remotely true for a very small percentage.
Old 31st August 2012, 23:13   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
You ve pretty much covered all the continents except Africa, the Middle East and the Poles, and there is nothing positive in any of them.

No opinions about them?

Yet thousands immigrate and settle down in these places and most of them are happy.

For someone who writes like a demographics expert, your comments are cheap, racist and not worthy of any attention. Period.
sir many people do not return back to india, when unfavourable conditions, for loss of face.
They may work multiple jobs to make ends meet, but do not return to india.

Sir it pains to see some doing odd jobs.

If people here really want to know skills in demand in developed countries, then here i go, construction employees, nurses, hard mechanical
skills like welder, they are called trade or tradesman for people performing, apart from IT which is majorly offshored.
Old 31st August 2012, 23:50   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
sir many people do not return back to india, when unfavourable conditions, for loss of face.
They may work multiple jobs to make ends meet, but do not return to india.

Sir it pains to see some doing odd jobs.

If people here really want to know skills in demand in developed countries, then here i go, construction employees, nurses, hard mechanical
skills like welder, they are called trade or tradesman for people performing, apart from IT which is majorly offshored.
I kind of agree with what you have written here. these are jobs in demand overseas.

I did my higher studies in France in one of the big engineering schools there. I joined the program that was completely taught in French as I had a scholarship for that. There was another masters program taught in English specifically for foreign students and there were some guys from India in that, among them 4 from AP. Now in no way I am insinuating anything here but all of them vanished without completing their degree or even 1 semester! All of them were engineers from here, and they ended up working odd jobs somewhere and living without valid papers! In a way it was amusing to see that as I know for sure one guy was from decently well to do background (he had enough to live comfortably on bank interest incomes alone!) yet the lure of staying in a foreign land was so strong they were prepared to live illegaly, work in odd jobs and at odd hours. It could not be said it was a better life, not for a trained engineer (unless they forged degrees to gain admission in that school in France).
Old 1st September 2012, 00:11   #289
BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2012 at 16:42.
ritz3645 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st September 2012, 06:24   #290
BHPian

Hey guys, interesting thread here. Just wanted to add a few points. I have been living overseas for the last 20 years now (left India when I was 6, so I have pretty much grown up overseas). I still do visit India every 2-3 years as my grandparents still live there.

I have lived in Australia for 15 years now, and I love it here. People have a very negative view of Aussies as being 'racist rednecks' but that is far from the truth. The average Aussie is friendly and approachable, and the vast majority are not racist. Yes there are a few, but there are people like that in every country. I am currently working as a medical intern at a rural hospital, and it is amazing how open people are about their family life and illnesses. They don't mind us asking them intimate questions, and they are extremely grateful when they are cured. I have found that people in rural areas of this country are not stuck up and are actually more open than the city folk, but the people in the cities are well travelled, and there is amazing diversity, especially in cities like Sydney and Melbourne.

The other thing is that Australia is a classless society, i.e. everyone is treated equal outside their workplace. This means a truck driver is of the same level as a surgeon when they are outside their workplace, and I've found that many people who migrate here from countries such as the UK and India have a lot of problems accepting this fact.

The quality of life is good, even though things are expensive, but I am fortunate in that my work is good, and pay is sufficient for me to enjoy living here. My parents are also well settled here, and I know for a fact that my father will not go back to India because of his lifestyle and hobbies.

I think the bottom line is that when emigrating, you should have a stable job with reasonable earning capacity. Only than can you really enjoy living overseas. There is no point in struggling to get by when you can live well in your own country. Many Indians come here expecting to lead a life like India when the fact of the matter is it is not like India. One cannot expect things like they are in India, and many people have trouble adjusting.
Old 1st September 2012, 09:17   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
The other thing is that Australia is a classless society, i.e. everyone is treated equal outside their workplace. This means a truck driver is of the same level as a surgeon when they are outside their workplace, and I've found that many people who migrate here from countries such as the UK and India have a lot of problems accepting this fact.
This sums it up. I am in Chennai now and the place is so classist and culturally homogenous that it makes me sick with nausea. I don't know why almost every Indian thinks like this but in Mumbai it's a lot better than a place like Chennai- possibly because of the diversity. Politeness towards other humans does not come naturally to most Indians.
Old 1st September 2012, 10:16   #292
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
I very well agree. I got this observation from my BIL as well who recently relocated to Sydney (mentioned in my previous post).

One of my good friend here is a native of Melbourne. Couple of years back when his childhood friend and family visited Singapore, we all gathered at our favourite restaurant, and I asked the guy what he does in Melbourne. And he quickly answered ‘I am a plumber’. Very impressed as I had not seen many instances like this (A senior director in a consultancy and a local plumber being thick friends).

And Aussies really have an appetite to embrace various cultures - probably due to the country’s migrant history.
Old 1st September 2012, 10:41   #293
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
One of my good friend here is a native of Melbourne. Couple of years back when his childhood friend and family visited Singapore, we all gathered at our favourite restaurant, and I asked the guy what he does in Melbourne. And he quickly answered ‘I am a plumber’. Very impressed as I had not seen many instances like this (A senior director in a consultancy and a local plumber being thick friends).
One reason for this being more probable in a developed country as compared to India is that multiplication factor between what a plumber earns and what a doctor earns is far more in India. Skilled workers can earn a very good living in developed countries. So there is more probability that they can have similar hobbies or tastes and something in common with a doctor.
Old 1st September 2012, 12:34   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
One reason for this being more probable in a developed country as compared to India is that multiplication factor between what a plumber earns and what a doctor earns is far more in India. Skilled workers can earn a very good living in developed countries. So there is more probability that they can have similar hobbies or tastes and something in common with a doctor.
This is very true. In fact one of my dad's very good friend is a truck driver! Their connection is their hobby and they have been friends for over 10 years. We regularly invite each others families over for lunch or dinner. My dad is a doctor, and his great friend is a truck driver! Something which would be impossible in India!
Old 1st September 2012, 18:52   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
1. Blue card has been implemented already.(Since July 2012) see: http://www.bluecard-eu.de/eu-blue-card-germany/

2. Not necessary! I personally have seen people getting jobs without a word being known to them in the local language. Debetable, depends on the employer and the company.

3. Expensive country? You mean Denmark or Germany?

4. 100% I agree with it, you hit the nail on its head. As I had mentioned in my earlier post, to my knowledge there are no I repeat NO agents/agencies who do job counselling or get jobs in Germany.
1. I should have been more specific. When they proposed the Blue Card system a few years ago, it was expected that certain professionals would get a work visa based on their skills, without the need of a job offer. Somewhat like the HSMP/ Tier-1 scheme which the UK had. The link you provided, suggests that an employment contract is necessary. I'm not sure how this differs from the already existing sponsored work visas? Perhaps the BC assures of a residence permit after a certain number of years. In any case, this is an interesting development. I'll be watching this closely. BTW, the link you posted deosn't seem to be a government site. It's always advisable to get your info from official sources.

2. That's good then isn't it. Didn't mean to discourage you, only wished to caution you. I've heard a few horror stories about folks languishing without suitable employment for months.

3. I meant Denmark.

4. Always use a reputed and ethical recruiter / agency. There are many unscrupulous companies in this industry.
Old 1st September 2012, 19:45   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
My brother-in-law recently moved to Sydney (landed there on 20th Aug). For someone who has lived all his life in India, that too with a comfortable job in his hometown (Cochin), this was indeed a huge change. Whole of last week was pretty miserable for him – loneliness, change in climate (too cold). But it’s getting better this week. ......

I will keep getting updates from him on the progress there, and will post here any details worth sharing – especially on job search, bank a/c opening, insurance registration etc.

My brother has got a resident visa for W.Australia and he is moving on 3rd week of Oct. Presently he is working as a civil engineer in Dubai. Please continue your updates so that many will be gaining from it. Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 22:57   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
1.I'm not sure how this differs from the already existing sponsored work visas? Perhaps the BC assures of a residence permit after a certain number of years. In any case, this is an interesting development.

BTW, the link you posted deosn't seem to be a government site. It's always advisable to get your info from official sources.

2. That's good then isn't it. Didn't mean to discourage you, only wished to caution you. I've heard a few horror stories about folks languishing without suitable employment for months.
1. There is a difference. People who start to apply from 2013 onwards, need not wait for 5 years to get a PR,rather, after the completion 2 years (if the candidate has B1 level of German) or 3 years of work, and if the work permit is a unlimited, one, the candidate will be given a PR(longterm work permit). For people already having a work permit, old rules continue.

2. Govt. link, give me sometime, I will give you the proper link. Sorry about the other one.

3. I did my bachelors in Germany(in German) . So in any case language barrier doesnt hold true for me, your point is 50% valid in case of jobs. That is why I said that companies although dont officially require/mandate the language knowledge but prefer people who can speak for obvious reasons of day to day communications. I would say, knowing the local language isnt a bad thing! You are correct and I accept that!
Old 8th September 2012, 14:16   #298
BHPian

Just read this article in Yahoo-UK, about immigration. The article is a balanced one, but the comments by readers numbering around 1500 are mostly against foreigners coming to their country. Most of them say their jobs are being stolen and social security budgets or whatever is being wasted on these foreigners. Though not racist in nature, the message is clear "Foreigners are not Welcome".
In real life, are Britons this hostile towards foreigners? Asking because quite a lot of Indians live in UK and none that i know have spoken about this attitude. Or is it because most of the NRIs we know are either in IT or Medical profession, which come under the highly skilled category and hence spared from resentment?
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/comment/tal...3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Last edited by Daewood : 8th September 2012 at 14:17.
Old 8th September 2012, 14:24   #299
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Just read this article in Yahoo-UK, about immigration. The article is a balanced one, but the comments by readers numbering around 1500 are mostly against foreigners coming to their country.
People in Bangalore don't like people from the rest of India coming to Bangalore. People from Bombay don't like Biharis coming to Bombay. People in the east don't like Bangladeshis coming into our country. This is there all over the world. Nothing to get bothered about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Or is it because most of the NRIs we know are either in IT or Medical profession, which come under the highly skilled category and hence spared from resentment?
Sub-continents in the UK are there across the board. If you go to Heathrow, you will find most of the janitorial staff to be subcontinentals.

If you go to the US, you will find resentment about Mexicans, because they form the major chunk of immigrants in the US.

Last edited by carboy : 8th September 2012 at 14:46.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 20:36   #300
BHPian

Hello fellas,

Need some serious help this time.
The wife and I are seriously considering leaving the motherland for good, considering the seriously falling standards and scams and the general nonsense that’s been going around these days.
Every time we step out of the house, we get totally fed up with every single thing we lay eyes on.

We are total n00bies when it comes to anything related to immigration. We have absolutely no clue.
So we thought of posting here, considering team-bhp is filled with expats and people who have lived abroad for quite some time.
Now, time to provide some background info about us. The wife and I are working in the IT sector, but not in the service based industry.
We work for a major product based company that makes some of the best Antivirus and Internet Security software available today.
Moving anywhere abroad from our current organization is not going to be possible as there are no onsite opportunities available at our level.
Our company only sends managers and supervisors to US. And we don’t see that happening to us in the next 2-3 years.

So we see two options.

1. Join a service based company and badger the management to send us abroad with an L1/H1 visa.
2. Try and get an H1 Visa processed ourselves and then look for jobs abroad.

Now, the wife is not keen on moving to US.
She says she would rather move to Canada/Australia/New Zealand.
I do not have a choice as such, but would prefer moving someplace cold.
Anyways, this brings us to the important questions that we have for you all.

1. Does moving to a service company in these dark and difficult times make any sense?
I am talking about the severe restrictions about US visas these days and the halt on Skilled Worker Immigration program for Canada.
Even if we switch, and switch we can easily, is there a high possibility that we will be sent onsite, say within 1-2 years?
I know L1 visas need the applicant to be working with the current organization for at least a year before the application can be done.
2. Will an outside consultancy be of any help in this matter?
There have been a few times when a consultancy has called us to talk about the immigration programs in the past.
We had politely refused, as we had no plans at that time.
Anyways, I thought it best to post this issue here and see what suggestions you fellas have.
Any questions, please do feel free to post.
Thanks for looking through this long post of mine.
Cheers!

Most Viewed