Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2012, 10:40   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!! Is It Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsi View Post
The educated are having one child and the illiterates make up the rest of the average. Imagine the dilution in the quality of the population.
Of these educated kids, many more emigrate or just dont return after studying abroad. Sow e can say the quality is further diluted. This is already showing in how work is being managed shoddily and in the levels of corruption. It will only get worse as this cycle continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Having said all this, even though I have hit my 4th decade of life, I may still consider emigration as a possibility and keep visiting India every now and then.
One cannot plan these things to a T, lets just wait and see!
I am in my mid 30s, and am paranoid that no country will want me to move there due to my age. Is this paranoia justified? If so, I will have to start working on it immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Germany has introduced it since July 2012. I have posted the links in this forum (some other thread, I don't remember where!).
I remember seeing the links, I think its on the Returning to India thread, but I am not sure. Sir, I too intend to try for the Blue card and will be working towards it in the next couple of years.
Do you think it would be a better idea to move to Germany within the existing organisation that we work for? That would save a lot of trouble for the job hunt at least!
Old 21st December 2012, 11:22   #392
Senior - BHPian

I for one believe what the great Yoda has to say, "Travel to a foreign country you must. Live there you must not. You will find only what you bring in"
Old 21st December 2012, 12:17   #393
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I am in my mid 30s, and am paranoid that no country will want me to move there due to my age. Is this paranoia justified? If so, I will have to start working on it immediately.
No you're not too late. Go and get yourself evaluated by a reputable consultant along with your partner/ spouse etc.
Old 21st December 2012, 13:02   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

After 32, you get 5 less points for Australia. After 35 you get 5 less points for Canada. These are ages at the time of filing for PR.

Don't know about Germany.

Quote:
Do you think it would be a better idea to move to Germany within the existing organisation that we work for? That would save a lot of trouble for the job hunt at least!
Biggest disadvantage with Germany I see is:
1. Tax rate is too high
2. Everything in EU is expensive
3. Based on 1 and 2, you hardly save any money unless you and your spouse are working.
4. Language is a problem. You will have to learn German to really make the most out of your stay.

AlphaKilo: Please comment.
Old 21st December 2012, 13:40   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
No you're not too late. Go and get yourself evaluated by a reputable consultant along with your partner/ spouse etc.
I agree, but I guess thats why paranoia is not good for the health!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Biggest disadvantage with Germany I see is:
1. Tax rate is too high
2. Everything in EU is expensive
3. Based on 1 and 2, you hardly save any money unless you and your spouse are working.
4. Language is a problem. You will have to learn German to really make the most out of your stay.
1. I agree
2. yes, but we have lived in Paris for a few years and in the UK too. Relatively Germany seems cheaper.
3. True
4. we worked this out in France, so could work it out for DE too. However, we need to know what is better for our kids in terms of their schooling. This was the reason we returned from France. So might end up considering Oz or Canada.

Overall it will be a 2 year plan. But I am glad to have some reassurance that I will still be able to emigrate when I get to my late 30s
Old 21st December 2012, 13:42   #396
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
So might end up considering Oz or Canada.

Overall it will be a 2 year plan. But I am glad to have some reassurance that I will still be able to emigrate when I get to my late 30s
I understand Oz has an age cut off of 45. For Canada and NZ I believe it is 55.
Old 21st December 2012, 14:11   #397
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My BIL recently migrated to AU. He is 34

If you have an option to go via your employer in India, thats the easiest option.
Old 21st December 2012, 14:57   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Sounds silly. By the time you're settled on the personal side of things, you are in your mid to late 30s. I would have figured i was the perfect age to emigrate. I'm sure the governments have their reasons...
Old 21st December 2012, 15:26   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

People,
What are the countries that allow your better half to work while being on dependent visa? I am aware of the below few (do correct me if I am wrong)

- UK
- Australia
- Singapore
- US (If on L1 visa)
Old 21st December 2012, 17:31   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Overall it will be a 2 year plan.
Well, 2 years is a very short time span if you are looking for the $$$.

Consider the case of Australia:
Total estimated cost for getting a PR on your own is
1.75 lac visa fees
30K skill assessment
10K IELTS
10K forensics/ finger print/ police report/ medical report
---

2.25 lac

Add 1 lac for air fare - one way to Australia. (couple + 1 kid)

Add another 25K for initial stay for a week and other things which I have not included.

Total 3.5 lac.

Now, put that 3.5 lac in a bank for 2 years and it becomes about 4.25 lac.

If you also include cost of return trip, initial purchases in foreign land and so on, add another 2 lac.

You should be able to recover all of that and still have more saving than what you have in Pune in 2 years.

I would estimate your per month saving to be Rs. 50K after all expenses are taken care of (assuming no EMI).
So, in 2 years (24 months), you could save 12 lac in India.

If you migrate to Australia and come back in 2 years, you would have to save 12 lac + 4.25 lac + 2 lac = 18.25 lac.
In AUD, this is AUD 31750.
So monthly figure is AUD 1323 of minimum saving.

So, (take home salary) - (all expenses) = AUD 1400 minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
People,
- UK
- Australia
- Singapore
- US (If on L1 visa)
Don't know about UK.

I think Canada also allows.

Last edited by S_U_N : 21st December 2012 at 17:32.
Old 21st December 2012, 17:47   #401
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, 2 years is a very short time span if you are looking for the $$$.
Consider the case of Australia:
Total estimated cost for getting a PR on your own is
1.75 lac visa fees
30K skill assessment
10K IELTS
10K forensics/ finger print/ police report/ medical report

I think Selfdrive mentioned it’s a 2 year plan – to plan the move, and not to move for 2 years.
SD: correct me if I am wrong

Someone moving abroad for a short-term stay cannot be really considered as a migration. If the plan is to stay for a couple of years, its best to go with an assured job – either via your current employer in India, or something you have secured directly with an overseas employer. In those cases, relocation expenses are normally covered by the employer.
Old 21st December 2012, 23:29   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If you have an option to go via your employer in India, thats the easiest option.
For some reason my employers are always in some non Englisg speaking country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Sounds silly. By the time you're settled on the personal side of things, you are in your mid to late 30s. I would have figured i was the perfect age to emigrate. I'm sure the governments have their reasons...
I guess its to do with how much we can contribute to their social security funds

Quote:
So monthly figure is AUD 1323 of minimum saving.
So, (take home salary) - (all expenses) = AUD 1400 minimum.
I should have been more clear. It would have saved you the efforts on calculations. Do appreciate that though

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I think Selfdrive mentioned it’s a 2 year plan – to plan the move, and not to move for 2 years.
SD: correct me if I am wrong
ha ha, yeah thats correct. this time I go on my own and will return only for NRI vacations if at all. I am sure you have seen the specific thread where I rant about this. Day by day I am losing whatever little attachment I had with this place. there are too many morons working hard to ensure this.
Old 22nd December 2012, 13:38   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For some reason my employers are always in some non Englisg speaking country!

I should have been more clear. It would have saved you the efforts on calculations. Do appreciate that though
Well, the more you delay the bigger is the problem of schooling.

By that time your kid(s) would be in primary- secondary school.
I am not sure how easy it would be for them to change over to a new school with new friends and that too in non-English speaking country.

I put the calculations for the record so that anyone can cross check and confirm. Also in case someone wants to know the cost, they know where to check.
Old 24th December 2012, 10:49   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the more you delay the bigger is the problem of schooling.
By that time your kid(s) would be in primary- secondary school.
I am not sure how easy it would be for them to change over to a new school with new friends and that too in non-English speaking country.
Well, kid 1 is now in primary school and kid 2 will go to nursery in a couple of years. To be honest, there is a bit of emotional gyaan (or blackmail, depending on how we look at it!) given by grandparents when the kids are young.
While it may be difficult for kids to adjust in school initially, it would be better for them in the long term when they are looking for admissions for higher studies. As it is, with what I earn here I dont think I will be able to pay for their education after graduation.
Also would it not be easier to learn a new language when theya re younger?
Old 24th December 2012, 11:47   #405
Senior - BHPian

@selfdrive: I am not referring to the opinion of grandparents in this case.
Try checking with those who have been through this shift around you and get their first hand experience. I have checked with a couple of them and they said it is difficult for kids, not so much for us.
On this thread itself we have grown ups ranting about the chaos/ politics/ lack of social security etc., after coming back from a more developed country. So won't kids find it more difficult to adapt after living overseas for a few years?

Most Viewed