Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2013, 03:48   #616
Senior - BHPian

re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Guys, if one wants to look for a skilled IT job in Australia or Canada, how would one go about it?
Where would one start looking?
Or rather how would a well educated person or a person with good experience, start looking for a hob abroad in places like Australia, Canada, UAE, or any first world country?
I dont know about Australia or UAE, but it is nearly impossible to find a job in Canada without actually being there, unless your employer in India sends you there on a work permit. Even after landing in Canada with a PR, you may find it difficult to get going at the same level at which you were working in India. But after the initial struggle, you start to reap the benefits exponentially.
Old 6th May 2013, 23:08   #617

Update from my side is that i got my ACS +ve result, now planning to give IELTS and proceed for an Australian PR
Old 6th May 2013, 23:13   #618

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I dont know about Australia or UAE, but it is nearly impossible to find a job in Canada without actually being there, unless your employer in India sends you there on a work permit. Even after landing in Canada with a PR, you may find it difficult to get going at the same level at which you were working in India. But after the initial struggle, you start to reap the benefits exponentially.
Same is the case with Oz as well its literally impossible to land a job without being there, also this year the market is slow.
Old 7th May 2013, 00:35   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, if one wants to look for a skilled IT job in Australia or Canada, how would one go about it?
Where would one start looking?
Or rather how would a well educated person or a person with good experience, start looking for a hob abroad in places like Australia, Canada, UAE, or any first world country?
I have sort of a similar query, I would like to know how a skilled software professional find out jobs in UAE/Singapore/Australia. I recently came across a list of UAE based job websites. Will registering in such websites be of any help? I'm not interested in giving up my current job, then immigrate to foreign land and then find a new job. I would rather love to land on a foreign job right from India. Is this possible, esp for software development jobs? Please do share the experiences of people who were fortunate enough to land on a good foreign job preferably in the countries like Singapore/Australia and middle east except KSA.
Old 7th May 2013, 01:20   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Quoted for truth.

Finding a job remotely is next to impossible and even otherwise, IT has lost favor with the Citizenship and immigration folks. PR applications based on just IT experience will probably just linger.

Easiest way to come here - Work permit thru TCS/IBM/Infosys. The only problem is that you need a letter for applying for PR in the Canadian experience class and these companies will just not give it to you. People I know have usually taken a letter from the client managers to fulfill the requirement but its purely a personal relationship based thing.
Old 7th May 2013, 13:13   #621
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post

Finding a job remotely is next to impossible and even otherwise, IT has lost favor with the Citizenship and immigration folks. PR applications based on just IT experience will probably just...
Hi, I'm going to Canada to do my MBA this year. By your post it looks like it will be quite a struggle to get a job in Canada?

Some background: completed my engineering worked for a while. Wrote my GMAT and got accepted into asper school of business (Manitoba university), since I'm taking a loan to fund my education I would like to close it ASAP after completing my degree.

Will it be very difficult to land a job for an Indian?

Your insights will be greatly valued.
Old 7th May 2013, 14:52   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
Hi, I'm going to Canada to do my MBA this year. By your post it looks like it will be quite a struggle to get a job in Canada?

Some background: completed my engineering worked for a while. Wrote my GMAT and got accepted into asper school of business (Manitoba university), since I'm taking a loan to fund my education I would like to close it ASAP after completing my degree.

Mohit and I were talking about how rare it is to secure a job before even landing in Canada.

In your case, you will have a Canadian qualification by the time you finish your MBA, so finding a job for you will be comparatively easy. It will however depend on your networking skills. Also, if you do some odd jobs while doing your MBA, then by the time you are done with your MBA, not only will you have a Canadian degree, you will also have Canadian work experience. Both of these will give you considerable edge over not only those looking for job remotely, but even those who are newly landed but without either of those two qualities.
Old 7th May 2013, 16:16   #623
BHPian

Hi,

I'm thinking of going to Canada to do my MBA and would eventually want to settle down there. The problem is that my fiancée is due completing her Phd in English in the next 3 years. Now I'm confused whether her Phd would be recognized in Canada? If not, then it wouldn't make any sense for me to go there and get settled, as I would rather stay here and do my MBA.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!
Old 7th May 2013, 20:08   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post

You stand a much better chance than the average joe. You will have Canadian qualifications and if you manage to secure a co-op placement (kindda like a trainee), your chances of getting a job get much higher. Good thing about a place like Manitoba is that there is demand for educated/qualified people.

If you don't get scared of Winterpeg (sorry Winnipeg ), securing a job after the MBA will be east and they even have their own special immigration quota. You can always move to more popular places after you have PR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Hi,

I'm thinking of going to Canada to do my MBA and would eventually want to settle down there. The problem is that my fiancée is due completing her Phd in English in the next 3 years. Now I'm confused whether her Phd would be recognized in Canada? If not, then it wouldn't make any sense for me to go there and get settled, as I would rather stay here and do my MBA.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!
Frankly, if she plans to teach English, things are going to be tough. Teaching positions are hard to come by especially in humanities. I am not sure what other career options are available after a Phd.

Last edited by mohit : 7th May 2013 at 20:11.
Old 8th May 2013, 14:44   #625
BHPian

Quote:

Mohit and I were talking about how rare it is to secure a job before even landing in Canada.

In your case, you will have a Canadian qualification by the time you finish your MBA, so finding a job for you will be comparatively easy. It will however depend on your networking skills. Also, if you do some odd jobs while doing your MBA, then by the time you are done with your MBA, not only will you have a Canadian degree, you will also have Canadian work experience. Both of these will give you considerable edge over not only those looking for job remotely, but even those who are newly landed but without either of those two qualities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post

You stand a much better chance than the average joe. You will have Canadian qualifications and if you manage to secure a co-op placement (kindda like a trainee), your chances of getting a job get much higher. Good thing about a place like Manitoba is that there is demand for educated/qualified people.

If you don't get scared of Winterpeg (sorry Winnipeg ), securing a job after the MBA will be east and they even have their own special immigration quota. You can always move to more popular places after you have PR.
Thanks for the reply

I hope to make some good contacts once I start networking in my university. Fingers crossed
Old 14th May 2013, 11:41   #626
BHPian

Guys it's time that I decide schools to do an MBA in as my GMAT prep is on its final leg.

Personally, I'm not fond of US/Canada and Australia but I am quite fond of Europe and UK.

Any advice?

PS: I am looking into top ranked schools only. Nothing below top 50 worldwide
Old 14th May 2013, 15:52   #627
BHPian

Hi Guys, have got an opportunity in South Korea. Has anyone been there or stayed there for a while to give an overview. The information is very limited on the web on S Korea as compared to western countries.

Would be great if someone can shed some light on the day to day life, cost of living, adaptability and other common topics. TIA!
Old 14th May 2013, 16:48   #628

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
Hi Guys, have got an opportunity in South Korea. Has anyone been there or stayed there for a while to give an overview. The information is very limited on the web on S Korea as compared to western countries.

Would be great if someone can shed some light on the day to day life, cost of living, adaptability and other common topics. TIA!
Is that the one for OSM? One of my friends is there for sometime now and seems to be doing good. Will check with him further and let you know.
Old 14th May 2013, 22:23   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
One of my friends working for TESCO has been in South Korea for the past 3 years. The major hurdle he speaks about is language. Not many can speak English. The pay scale is pretty handsome. The cost of living is high, at least in the place where he stays. People are very hard working is what he says.
Old 14th May 2013, 23:32   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Guys it's time that I decide schools to do an MBA in as my GMAT prep is on its final leg.

Personally, I'm not fond of US/Canada and Australia but I am quite fond of Europe and UK.

Any advice?

PS: I am looking into top ranked schools only. Nothing below top 50 worldwide
INSEAD France - I know two people settled in UK who did their MBA from there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks