Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2015, 19:05   #856
BHPian

re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
How good is the automotive industry in canada/australia ?
Other than trying for PR, anyone moved to Canada/Australia by securing a job in AUTOMOTIVE R&D? I mean anyone here who got a job in either of these countries from India?
ME and my wife, both are in Automotive R & D in US.

I've been with Cummins for a few years and my wife will be joining GM soon,

By automotive R & D, there are quite a few different streams here. The design (3D cad / FEM) works could be outsourced.

There is the testing and tuning works ( which needs lots of infrastructure - like test cells, test tracks, climate testing etc) which will remain in the US. Nobody will move the facilities anywhere else

Then there is the new supplier development., which usually involves a lot of travel to India/ China/ mexico. The designs would be American, but the development would be in China/ Mexico.

If you have experience in the testing stream, there are lots of vacancies. They even get people from the indian locations. Some companies i've interacted with, they bring in people from their branches in Pune and Bangalore.

So the easiest way is to get into an US based company in india and get a transfer. Alternatively, you could do MS here and they apply for the main comapnies. Cummins, Chrysler, AVL, FEV, Ricardo, Schaeffler, IAV , continental, TRW etc are automotive R & D consultants and they do work Visa's.
Old 31st March 2015, 14:16   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
ME and my wife, both are in Automotive R & D in US.
Thank you Jomz for the info. I'm indeed from testing background.
Old 11th April 2015, 11:38   #858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
I have got an opportunity through my current employer for a long term 18 month project in a company just outside of Milan, Italy.

The salary will be around EUR60K per year.

I would like to know first hand experiences from team bhpians living in Italy about living cost for a family of 3 and what is the saving potential in Italy from a perspective of average indian spender.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
TeamBHPian mjothi is now based out of Italy. Maybe its a good idea to PM him, just in case you get any information otherwise.
Sorry guys, have been out for long. 60K for 3 is a decent pay for Italy. But it also depends on how these 60K is dispensed since most income under the heading of "bonus" is taxed at 50%

And outside Milan, you can get a bilocale for 600-700euro, a very good ones.

In my opinion, you should be able to save minimum of 1.5Keuro per month.

[Un]fortunately the exchange rates are not so good recently.

Ping me in case you need more details.
Old 13th April 2015, 16:34   #859
BHPian

Hey folks,

This thread caught my attention while I was searching for something in regards to migrating to New Zealand. This thread is predominantly about Canada as I see.

Can anyone point out anything in regards to NZ and migrating there for work? The procedures for migrating, the place, culture and people there. Getting a job there and so on.

Any info on this subject would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Old 5th May 2015, 08:15   #860
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi All,
Wanted some information for a friend. He wanted to know about PRagati Consulting, for emigration to Cananda. How is this agency ?

Agency is charging about 75k for help/ guidance in Visa processing and arranging some interviews after getting the PR.

Responses / suggestions pls
Old 5th May 2015, 08:49   #861
BHPian

Hi team,
Need inputs and suggestions. I have been offered a job with a big bank in Qatar, as an programmer of course. My papers are handled by a consultant in India. They were the ones who arranged interview as well. Pay is 15000 qatari riyal per month(all inclusive, no benefits). Have two questions
1. Is the pay good enough for 2
2. How safe is Qatar generally? And any Isis or militant problem?

Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 11:53   #862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Hi team,
1. Is the pay good enough for 2
2. How safe is Qatar generally? And any Isis or militant problem?

Thanks
Hello akhil_007

Though I have no idea about your first question, I can try to answer the second one for you. More than a few of my friends / acquaintances have moved to Qatar in the past few years and have not had any problems. I think it is one of the better places to go to in the Middle East as of now. Never heard of any militant / terrorism related issues over there.
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:38   #863
BHPian

How is the Australian job market at this point? I only hear not-so-good things about the market there, but I'd like to confirm. I'm in IT and my wife is in Biotech.

Thanks guys!
Old 24th May 2015, 08:26   #864
BHPian

hellmet: I don't know about Biotech,but I can tell you that the local Australian IT job market has been decimated by the Indian IT majors like TCS, Wipro, Infosys etc as well as IBM who corner most of the projects and then bodyshop tens of thousands of people from India under the 457 visa (similar to the US H1 visa).

The 457 visa class was introduced a few years ago (during the mining boom) after intense lobbying by the big mining companies to fill critical shortages in skilled jobs, but it quickly became a tool for companies to import all sorts of cheap labour across all categories (incl. cooks, hairdressers, mechanics etc) at the expense of local candidates.

IT Jobs are still there, but depends on your specific skillsets. Jobs that involve interaction with local users are still there, but that requires good communication & people skills in addition to IT. Most jobs have become short-term contracts - permanent positions are getting very hard to find as even most of the government jobs / projects have been outsourced.

It all depends on what stage of life you are in - if you are young & willing to take the risk, go for it; if you are already well established in your career, have older children etc, the adjustment will be much more difficult - be prepared to take several steps back in your career & start again.

Australia is a very high cost country - in a worst case scenario where you may be unemployed for a long time, can you support yourself & family? Only you can answer such questions.
Old 25th May 2015, 18:06   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTAutoMad View Post
hellmet: I don't know about Biotech,but I can tell you that the local Australian IT job market has been decimated by the Indian IT majors like TCS, Wipro, Infosys etc as well as IBM who corner most of the projects and then bodyshop tens of thousands of people from India under the 457 visa (similar to the US H1 visa).

The 457 visa class was introduced a few years ago (during the mining boom) after intense lobbying by the big mining companies to fill critical shortages in skilled jobs, but it quickly became a tool for companies to import all sorts of cheap labour across all categories (incl. cooks, hairdressers, mechanics etc) at the expense of local candidates.

IT Jobs are still there, but depends on your specific skillsets. Jobs that involve interaction with local users are still there, but that requires good communication & people skills in addition to IT. Most jobs have become short-term contracts - permanent positions are getting very hard to find as even most of the government jobs / projects have been outsourced.

It all depends on what stage of life you are in - if you are young & willing to take the risk, go for it; if you are already well established in your career, have older children etc, the adjustment will be much more difficult - be prepared to take several steps back in your career & start again.

Australia is a very high cost country - in a worst case scenario where you may be unemployed for a long time, can you support yourself & family? Only you can answer such questions.
@LTAutoMad, thank you for your valuable insights. I'm in IT for the last 5 years, but married, and unwilling to stay jobless for long. It looks like it isn't the best time to land in Australia.

Thanks again!
Old 26th May 2015, 05:04   #866
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
How is the Australian job market at this point? I only hear not-so-good things about the market there, but I'd like to confirm. I'm in IT and my wife is in Biotech.

Thanks guys!
In response to your question, here are my previous replies on this topic. There are responses from other members too, if you search a few pages back.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3652025

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3392048
Old 26th May 2015, 05:49   #867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@LTAutoMad, thank you for your valuable insights. I'm in IT for the last 5 years, but married, and unwilling to stay jobless for long. It looks like it isn't the best time to land in Australia.

Thanks again!
Hi There,

I just moved in to Adelaide around a couple of months back on 457. I have around 50+ contractors with me here with a mix of PR and 457.If on a PR its a good idea to try joining Accenture/Fujitsu/Dialog/Agelon here. They can get you the first break as a contractor pretty easily.

My suggestion : Come here on 457 first from an Indian company. See the market for your skillset, get some decent contacts. Post that get the PR done(Australian PR is one of the easiest to get). This should be the safest bet considering you are a family guy. Yes, australia is costly so be sure while negotiating. I found Europe much better in terms of overall cost-of-living but there you need to know local language to get a break.

P.S : Please be careful while choosing your city. I had a bad feel(read unsafe for indians) about Melbourne in my 3 day stay there in central area.
Adelaide, though nowhere close in terms of infrastructure or tourist attractions, is way better in terms of peace of mind.

Last edited by SoumenD : 26th May 2015 at 06:04.
Old 26th May 2015, 10:33   #868
BHPian

I have already posted this story. Want to let everyone knows about the exact situation here, especially in IT.

According to me, to find a good job in Australia always takes time.I have arrived here on June 2013 and I got my first job on May 19,2014.I was so depressed and lost all my hope and even booked my return flight on May 17,2014.But some miracle happened and with God’s Grace ,I got my first job with Education Queensland on a temporary basis after the 11th month of landing here.

Then within 3 months ,I got the Permanent one with Queensland Police Service-IT as an Information technology Officer .Even though I got an experience over 12 years in IT and worked for well known MNC's back in India it never helped me here and everyone was looking for an Australian reference and experience

I did apply mainly on Public Sectors since that was the only one giving me a hope of getting an Interview call. I have been called for few Interviews and out of that I got offers for 4.All of them were public sector jobs.Till date I did not get a single call from any private sectors.I am not sure about the exact reason behind this scenario .Also I heard the jobs advertised in www.seek.com.au,www.mycareer.com.au are not actual positions and seems to be duplicates and sometimes not exist at all. This is just to fill in the job portal and create an impression as the market is up to pull more business from investors. But the unemployment rate now in Australia is 6 % compared to 4.5 % in year 2013-2014.Australia is largely depend on Chinese economy and if China doesn’t buy more coal (mining is the largest industry for Australia) from them, it will have a widespread impact on Australian economy and Job Market.

Also there is a general tendency to give priorities to the locals .Unless you fall in that core skills or hold any skills which is difficult to find in Australia ,the job consultants won’t give you a call for Interviews. So all depends on your luck and the skills you got, especially in IT. I feel if you got a good job back in India and have enough money to live, no need to migrate to a foreign land unless you are looking for a better life style and other surroundings.

Anyway this my experience and it may differ from you and your circumstances. Always think twice before making a decision and talk to your colleagues and friends over here before jumping into conclusions.

I have explained my situation and this is solely my own experience. This is not to demotivate anybody who wish to avail an Australian PR. But if you are well settled and have a good job with salary back in India, I will say think twice before you make a final decision. As said in this post earlier, you need to start all over again and sometimes start as an entry level in your career depending on the skill set and profile you hold.

ALL THE BEST FOR YOUR SEARCH ANYWAY

Quote:

Thanks guys!
Old 26th May 2015, 16:11   #869
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here tried for Denmark PR? I understand you start off with a temporary visa for 18 months and then based on your work experience & language classes you can convert it to PR. The advantage it seems, is the whole process can take about a year compared to 4-5 years for Canada & Australia.
Old 26th May 2015, 22:33   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
In response to your question, here are my previous replies on this topic. There are responses from other members too, if you search a few pages back.
You dug out my question from last year! That was before I started the process for PR. Today, I have an invite for PR but I'm wondering if it'd be a good move. So far, it does not look so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Hi There,

I just moved in to Adelaide around a couple of months back on 457. I have around 50+ contractors with me here with a mix of PR and 457.If on a PR its a good idea to try joining Accenture/Fujitsu/Dialog/Agelon here. They can get you the first break as a contractor pretty easily.

P.S : Please be careful while choosing your city. I had a bad feel(read unsafe for indians) about Melbourne in my 3 day stay there in central area.
Adelaide, though nowhere close in terms of infrastructure or tourist attractions, is way better in terms of peace of mind.
Thanks. Every bit of information helps. Safety would be one of my primary concerns in a foreign land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinFord View Post
I feel if you got a good job back in India and have enough money to live, no need to migrate to a foreign land unless you are looking for a better life style and other surroundings.

ALL THE BEST FOR YOUR SEARCH ANYWAY
Thank you!! The primary reason for trying to emigrate is a better standard of living / lifestyle and peace of mind, so staying in India forever is not an option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks