Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2010, 01:59   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
why would you do that?
Ask that to the multitude of drivers who do get caught doing insane speeds.
Old 4th May 2010, 02:44   #32
BHPian

US, Canada, AUS, UK, NZ - blah, never want to go there, just too many indians there, believe me, they are in boat loads! Why i say that? Because if i want to travel to a new country i want to meet new people, not the same people i see everyday.

About Immigration- I have to favor India. You will always be a second class citizen over there except- a poor person will become ordinary, and an ordinary will become middle class, thats all. Do not be fooled by "XYZ Pandit became CEO of some bankrupt bank in the US". So what!? Thats like 1 in a 100,000 and the ratio of success is same in India.

India has lifted larger number of people out of poverty in recent times, just think where you were 10-20 years ago. You just took yourself for granted! So i am going to favor India.

For me, there are other countries that are much better that the ones listed above, but i prefer not to name those. I am just sick and tired of US, Canada, AUS, UK, NZ. I dont want their XXL Malls and Credit Cards

It is our peoples fault also, people are having more than 1 child, and then they want to migrate and transfer the burden to another country. I think that is just wrong. An educated person should practice social responsibility, not just outside, but at home country also.

PS: Also, the new migrants from India can easily get offended when a local insults their culture or country. Not getting offended is something you will need to practice and get used to, considering that you do not regard your home country anymore. Remember, New Country=New Culture.

Last edited by aerohit : 4th May 2010 at 03:04.
Old 4th May 2010, 05:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
PS: Also, the new migrants from India can easily get offended when a local insults their culture or country. Not getting offended is something you will need to practice and get used to, considering that you do not regard your home country anymore. Remember, New Country=New Culture.
dude, chances of being called a bhaiya in MH for a bihari or being called a madarasi in delhi for a tamil are much more than being called anything at all in USA. Wondering how that doesn't offend you enough.

as far as regard for home country is concerned, Are you talking about guys who have looted India for past 60+ years?
Quote:

Ask that to the multitude of drivers who do get caught doing insane speeds.
Thanks, I should add that my my list of why one is better off in india.

If you like doing insane speeds just because you see an empty road, you are better off in India.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 4th May 2010 at 05:57.
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2010, 06:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

Well, well seems to be a mixed bag of opinions.

Having stayed in UK for some time and travelled Europe extensively both on work and as a tourist (From India), all I can say is that the novelty lasts only for a few days. After that the struggle to start afresh can really get to you if you had a cushy well paying job here in India. The best way to move is either through an MNC or as a business man having a lot of money to invest. The third option which is what the maximum take is to move after Class 12 / Graduation so that when you pass out, you are already part of the system.

As about kids having the best education, I think Indian Education is much better, only thing that lacks is the application of that education. Just like the good things, there are many not good things also about the Western Society, teenage pregnancy being one of them. A friend of mine who is a Paediatrician in the UK used to tell me that lot of girls will have two children before they are 18 as the Govt assures free housing & utilities apart from dole till the kids are 18.

So look at both sides of the coin and take an uniformed decision.
Old 4th May 2010, 07:25   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
4). I agree with DoNotHorn, us Indians are the BIGGEST racists, sadly :(.
Yeah, this is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
5). Power cuts are very rare in Canada/USA/The West.
Having lived in several places in the US & India, I would say that Power cut/disruption is rarest in Bombay as compared to anywhere in the world.
Old 4th May 2010, 07:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Share your views and experiences of those who have gone and settled abroad...maybe it will help people stuck in the moment and GET OUT OF IT, like me!

Cheers
Just saw this thread. I thought may be I can pour in some of my little experience.

1) Is Canada a good country to go to? Why not Australia or New Zealand?

At 1st, I should tell you that I am 22 years old single male and I have been in Canada since early 2007. I have also been to Australia twice last year. The racial feel you get there is horrendous. In Canada, I have visited east coast to west coast in recent times and never ever, not for a single time got that feel. From my personal experience, I find Canada better place to live, even better than USA.

2) Why should one go to Canada - better lifestyle / better education for kids / cleaner - greener country / good living & civic habits and in all some sort of peace of mind

Lifestyle - more or less the same. The fine feel of being in a foreign country goes away in few days.

Better Education - noop, I don't support that. I see very few (Compared to home) Canadians interested in higher education. The ones with me, in my University aren't anyone special (competition vise, depth of knowledge vise). And neither I am very special, but I accept this fact that I am winning here because I have studied and excelled in Indian educational system.

Cleaner/Greener Country - You bet. Just get outside the city limits and Canada is the most beautiful country I have ever seen, period. From turning leaves during autumn in east coast to beautiful British Columbia at west coast and to snow white places with their Northern Light experiences like Yukon and NW territories, Canada has it all.

good living & civic habits - Yes, I would support that as well. Living is more humane here.

3) Does India not offer similar or better opportunities - If not now, dont we imagine that things will get better in days / months / years to come.

Thats the reason I am not a PR here, neither I plan to apply for it (I could have been PR, since some of my Indian friends who came more or less during same timeperiod, got their permanent residency recently). I am going to North Carolina for my PhD. and would be back to home after that. After all, home is always home, nothing beats that.

4) Leaving your country for another - where and of whom you know nothing or little about ?

Internet has made the world very small, my friend. Just give it a try and whole world would be on your single click)

5) On second thoughts may be I am a bit lazy not wanting to leave my comfort zone and try out greener pastures...

I bet you will never be able to get same peace of mind anywhere out of your hometown.

6) How easy is it to get a job and start and earn a living - when you dont have anyone to fall back upon in a strange country?

I am not too sure, I never applied for a job (I am on Federal Govt. scholarship) but I guess you are supposed to have some MNC to sponsor your stay for complete peace of mind.

7) Heard that the government takes care of you - but that only after you become a citizen there.

To some extent, not completely true. On a further note, the health care system is worst I have seen so far. On papers, your paid tax takes cares of your health bills but waiting time period sucks. (Personal Experience) It varies through out the provinces but situation is more or less the same.

8) May be there are a lot of things and reasons, why one decides to go.... but the moot question that i am haggling with right now..... Is It Worth It?

Personally, I don't see any reason which can hold me here for lifetime. Loneliness is your worst enemy. As far as I can see, I am a single guy, so I can mingle with my age group very easily but it would be difficult for a social Indian family to adjust here.

In some replies before me, I see responses like lots of Indians and cold weather etc.

About Indian people, I live in Saskatoon which is pretty small city compared to metro cities, so not too many Indians. I give you a trick, try this by yourself in your friend circle, how many places they have heard in Canada? I bet the answer would be Toronto and Vancouver and one city or two like Montreal or Calgary. (add Mississauga, Brampton and Surrey to the answer from Punjabi people )

I went to Surrey this February, and you wouldn't believe, it reminded me of Chandigarh...lol. So, my point is, you will find most Indian people concentrated near to Toronto or Vancouver.

About cold, I live in prairies (On my trip to New Orleans and Miami last week, I learned that people call Canadian western prairies coldest place on earth ). Yes, it is cold weather. The lowest I have personally experienced is -56 degree celcius during 2008 winter. But take it from me, people get used to it. Especially because it is dry cold. I have worn the same jacket in -20 degrees without facing any difficulties, that I used to wear in Delhi during Indian cold of 12-15 degrees. Yes, for temperature below that, you need winter jackets.

On coastal areas, this scenerio is different because of humidity which makes the wind more chilly.

I hope, I have given you some generic view of Canada. Think about it, decide your priorities for your life and you will be able to see even better picture. Good Luck!
Old 4th May 2010, 09:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

I found a screenshot of this weather webpage on my computer. Look at down right corner. This pretty much represents Central Canada and Western Prairies
Attached Thumbnails
Emigrating to a Foreign Land!-1.jpg  

Old 4th May 2010, 09:19   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

we indians are quite race/colour/ class conscious in ourselves, in our own country. all around us there are instances of us not giving proper respect to each other.

the present and highly visible flames of parochialism and regionalism and artificial divides based on language, social class etc have been fanned by our political masters. Nehru I think made a big mistake in dividing the country into states basis language. It would have been better to do it basis the earlier division - 4 Presidencies or Large Provinces governed by a steel back boned team of professionals instead of the current nonsense.

we have been a civilization for thousands of years, but are not yet a "nation" in that sense. we somehow lack a sense of national pride. Ask yourself how many of us stand to attention when our National Anthem plays?

I have seen people from other countries standing up to attention with a visible sense of pride when their National Anthem plays but not us guys in many instances.

In my honest opinion, if we all had to go through two years of compulsory Army Service (regardless of family background/ financial status/ influence level etc) between the ages of 18 and 22, it will help to instill discipline, create a sense of National pride and generally clean up the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
dude, chances of being called a bhaiya in MH for a bihari or being called a madarasi in delhi for a tamil are much more than being called anything at all in USA. Wondering how that doesn't offend you enough.

as far as regard for home country is concerned, Are you talking about guys who have looted India for past 60+ years?
Thanks, I should add that my my list of why one is better off in india.

If you like doing insane speeds just because you see an empty road, you are better off in India.
Old 4th May 2010, 09:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In my honest opinion, if we all had to go through two years of compulsory Army Service (regardless of family background/ financial status/ influence level etc) between the ages of 18 and 22, it will help to instill discipline, create a sense of National pride and generally clean up the system.
+1 to that

The only problem is the political class doesn't want to take a stand on anything that is good for the nation
MileCruncher is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2010, 09:50   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
+1 to that

The only problem is the political class doesn't want to take a stand on anything that is good for the nation
Well, I thank the political class that it doesn't take such stands.
I, for one, am happy that I wasn't forced to spend 4 years in the armed forces.
Old 4th May 2010, 09:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

Thank all the friends here who shared their experiences with you. Next, say goodbye to all the lawyers, consultants and preachers who guarantee you with filing process.

Take the time out and sit on the internet. Click on Welcome Page | Page d'accueil Nothing else comes close if you want to come to Canada.

Those who dont get jobs or admission to an educational institute is because they dont do proper research and act on Instinct. I would assume you are doing just that right now. Please do proper research and give it a detailed thought.

And those who think that they want to meet new people and hence shouldn't go abroad anymore as Indians are everywhere need to get their tickets right away. And it would do Humanity a lot of good if we delete racism from the dictionary.

Best of luck with your choice.
Old 4th May 2010, 10:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

My cousin sister and her family moved to Canada about a decade ago and I must say that they are still not settled even though both are highly qualified and working. The employment environment in Canada is very unstable to say the least and it cannot be compared to US in terms of options available. They both work in different industries and still struggled a lot during the last two years with two kids and an own house.

I would suggest extreme caution about migrating to a developed country at this point of time considering that developing countries like India and China are going to rule the world in the coming decades.
Old 4th May 2010, 10:58   #43
BHPian

It seems almost everything has been covered before I could reach this thread

What remains is the fact that on foreign shores, you have to fend for yourself for each and everything - which is good and bad, both.

Good because it makes you extremely self dependant; Bad because it also tends to make you selfish.

Think of it in this way - all your life in India, how much of household chores have we performed ourselves? More often than not, we have a cook, a maid, driver, gardener and what not..

After doing my share of globe trotting (US, UK, Malaysia and Singapore), as a bachelor and later with my wife, I have come to realize is that the quality of life in India is hell lot better than any other country.

Now, before I get ridiculed for this statement, for me quality of life is -
a) time (both qualitative and quantitative) spent with family;
b) ease of life; and
c) bigger bang for the buck one earns/spends

I really don't care how much time it takes for me on the roads stuck in traffic because one has the ICE or phone to fall back on. Did I mention I WFH 99% of the times ;-)

Health anyway, if you need good and most importantly timely treatment, you need to go to private hospitals here or there.. Not that you are running temperature for last 3 days and godblessed NHS helpline gives you an appointment after a week since the GP is completely booked for next xyz days!

Another example - in India, for about 2/3rd of my salary from UK, I live in a house which which is 10 times the size of one in UK for less than half the rent. And that too in a far more upmarket locality.

There I had to slog it out from morning till night - from morning tea to lunch to dinner and finally till the last glass of water before hitting the bed - you have to do it. Here, I have 4 full time helps and 2 part times. Imagine mowing my lawn on the weekend or cleaning/scrubbing the kitchen floor when all I want to do is laze around reading newspapers sipping cups of tea one after another.

Oh, by the way, did I mention that one's parents, who probably won't be in best of their healths at their ages, would have emotional and physical support of their son..

What better feeling would you have when your mom gives you a hug and tells you what a great job you are doing taking care of her/dad - absolutely priceless..

In my circle, I have seen folks return to India once their kids are 4-7 years old - for me, it had been my parents for whom I came back.

One needs to set the priorities right - period!
AlokSriva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2010, 11:52   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Well, I thank the political class that it doesn't take such stands.
I, for one, am happy that I wasn't forced to spend 4 years in the armed forces.
May not be the Army per se, but what I meant was public service. We as a nation only lament the lack of facilities but don't want to take responsibility. Will you still standby and watch while our country gets attacked by its adversaries. Going by that logic even the law & order machinery should standby and watch if god forbid something happens to you or your dear ones.

2 Yrs of Public Service is compulsory in Germany & Israel amongst many other nations.
Old 4th May 2010, 12:14   #45
BANNED

Quote:
May not be the Army per se, but what I meant was public service. We as a nation only lament the lack of facilities but don't want to take responsibility.

I do what I do best, earn a lot of money & pay tax for anything else.
I am OK with doing public service for 4 years if it means I am tax-exempt for the rest of my life.

Quote:
Will you still standby and watch while our country gets attacked by its adversaries.
I have a huge Army, Navy & Airforce working for me, paid for by my Tax money.
In case of emergencies, there can always be a draft, but a draft can't be on all the time.
Quote:
Going by that logic even the law & order machinery should standby and watch if god forbid something happens to you or your dear ones.
That's a non-sequitor. Comparing me, a person in a different profession, with law or order people who paid not to standby & watch.

Quote:
2 Yrs of Public Service is compulsory in Germany & Israel amongst many other nations.
It's not in USA & England. So there - it's 2-2 for now.

Most Viewed