Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 11:12   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Well, both are wrong. It is actually written and pronounced as "Thosai" in Tamil as there is no "D" equivalent. But in common dialect it is "dosai". Dosa is actually how people from the north call it.
Sir you are wrong, I agree that its written as "Thosai" in Tamil but pronounced as Dosa/Dosai by Tamilians.

Test: I asked my 6 Tamil colleagues to pronounce the same, not even single person pronounced 'Thosai', I heard different versions of Dosa

It does not matter as long as it taste good

Last edited by Latheesh : 28th April 2010 at 11:27.
Old 28th April 2010, 11:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, both are wrong. It is actually written and pronounced as "Thosai" in Tamil as there is no "D" equivalent. But in common dialect it is "dosai".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Sir you are wrong, I agree that its written as "Thosai" in Tamil but pronounced as Dosa/Dosai by Tamilians.
I did not say everyone pronounces it that way, did I?

Quote:
I asked my 6 Tamil colleagues to pronounce the same, not even single person pronounced 'Thosai', I heard different versions of Dosa
People of the older generation, especially those who know only Tamil, still call thosai, especially in TN.

Quote:
does not matter as long as it taste good
Agreed! A dosa by any name will still taste as good! Have you tried the "Pesarattu" from Andhra? Done the right way, it tastes divine!

Last edited by Gansan : 28th April 2010 at 11:43.
Old 28th April 2010, 14:16   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
There is a song in punjabi:- "Jatt di Marsari dil mangdi" or something like that.
Can you guess what is Marsari?
Err... Mercedes???

Nitin
Old 28th April 2010, 15:42   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed! A dosa by any name will still taste as good! Have you tried the "Pesarattu" from Andhra? Done the right way, it tastes divine!
Thanks, will try this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
There is a very famous song going on these days up here in north india. Woofer by Imran Khan.
The wording are damn hillarious. Must be written by a UK born punjabi. A few examples are:-

"Baariyaan kaaliyan ve gadiyaan nu mai laavan"
"Speed main 220 te chalaan"
"Black Leather seataan utte aa baih ni"
"40 degrees di dhup paindi"
Whatever this song give full workout to my basic ICE. Nice song to show off your ICE isnt it?
Old 29th April 2010, 00:14   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, will try this weekend.

Whatever this song give full workout to my basic ICE. Nice song to show off your ICE isnt it?
that song is called "Amplifier".
Old 30th April 2010, 05:07   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Tamils are always proud to be Tamizhs ;
Good one. How is Tamizh pronounced? I have seen that word elsewhere too but didn't know who to ask.
Old 30th April 2010, 09:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
Good one. How is Tamizh pronounced? I have seen that word elsewhere too but didn't know who to ask.
Try to think of a non-existing character which combines the sound of characters R, L and D. This is roughly the way zh is pronounced.

So Tamizh would be pronounced as Tami +(combination of R,L,D).

Rohan
Old 30th April 2010, 09:59   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is Thamizh actually. The izh part is a shortened pronounciation of the letter "zha" which AFAIK is unique to Tamil and Malayalam. As for how to pronounce - well, how do you pronounce the "xhau" in exhaust? How do Americans pronounce the r in "America"? These two are the closest I can think of immediately!
Old 30th April 2010, 11:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had always thought that the 'zh' is pronounced as a higher pitch of the letter 'L'.

For example, in Kannada when we say 'Jola'(Corn), the L is pronounced the same way 'zh' is pronounced in Tamizh. Other examples include male(rain), Bele(crop), Kola (pond). In all these words, the L is pronounced differently.

If I'm not wrong, the last L in the word Malaya'l'am is also pronounced the way 'zh' is pronounced, right??

This is just my understanding. I'd be happy if someone would clarify this.
Old 30th April 2010, 12:27   #40
J.Ravi

Quote:
How do Americans pronounce the r in "America"?
I think, that is the nearest one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I had always thought that the 'zh' is pronounced as a higher pitch of the letter 'L'.
For example, in Kannada when we say 'Jola'(Corn), the L is pronounced the same way 'zh' is pronounced in Tamizh. Other examples include male(rain), Bele(crop), Kola (pond). In all these words, the L is pronounced differently.
If I'm not wrong, the last L in the word Malaya'l'am is also pronounced the way 'zh' is pronounced, right?
This is just my understanding. I'd be happy if someone would clarify this.
No. Kannada 'La' is different from Tamil/Malayalam 'zha' ழ. Kannada 'La' = Tamil 'La' ள

Having said that, many people in Tamil Nadu, especially in the southern districts, whose mother-tongue is Tamil and studied Tamil language, could not prounce ழ ['zha'] properly and instead prounce it as ள ['La'].

ழ 'Zha' is really a tongue-twister for many!

Last edited by J.Ravi : 30th April 2010 at 12:42.

Old 30th April 2010, 12:32   #41
Senior - BHPian

@addyhemmige
No, it is not correct. Some people (mostly unlettered) do pronounce it that way, and it is considered a slang.

In Tamil corn is "Cholam" and pronounced the same way Jola is pronounced in Kannada. But rain is "Mazhai" and is pronounced differently. Similarly the old Chola dynasty (Chozha actually) is also pronounced differently.

Last edited by Gansan : 30th April 2010 at 12:35.
Old 30th April 2010, 12:33   #42
BHPian

Cool thread. As someone pointed out earlier, English across the world is spoke in various accents. Go to London and you will not fail to notice.

I was in a conf room with a few Brits in London a week back and a lady from US joined the call. In between she mentioned 'stack throughput' and the Brits wanted to clarify - 'stack thorughput?'. She immediately 'corrected' - 'No, I meant STOCK throughput'. The team had a good laugh. I was imagining the same would have happened if there was a call from Tamilnadu (every 'o' is 'ah') to Kerala ( every 'o' is 'ooo').
Old 30th April 2010, 12:42   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I think, that is the nearest one.
No. Kannada 'La' is different from Tamil/Malayalam 'zha' ழ. Kannada 'La' = Tamil 'La' ள

Having said that, many people in Tamil Nadu, especially in the southern districts, whose mother-tongue is Tamil and studied Tamil language, could not prounce ழ ['zha'] properly and instead prounce it as ['La'].

ழ 'Zha' is really a tongue-twister for many!
Quote:
@addyhemmige
No, it is not correct. Some people (mostly unlettered) do pronounce it that way, and it is considered a slang.

In Tamil corn is "Cholam" and pronounced the same way Jola is pronounced in Kannada. But rain is "Mazhai" and is pronounced differently. Similarly the old Chola dynasty (Chozha actually) is also pronounced differently.
Thanks Gansan & Ravi. Looks I have a big tongue twister on my mouth now
Old 30th April 2010, 12:45   #44
J.Ravi

Quote:
Some people (mostly unlettered) do pronounce it that way.
Even many educated, Tamil teachers included, mis-pronounce it that way.

Old 30th April 2010, 12:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Even many educated, Tamil teachers included, mis-pronounce it that way.
Agreed! But it is slang all the same. The letter is unique to Tamil and Malayalam, and a true blue Tamil/Mallu should be able to pronounce it!

@addyhemmige
I am reminded of an OT incident here. A few of us were transferred to our Bangalore office suddenly in June'00 to replace a bunch of locals who abruptly left on VRS. Some of us quickly picked up a smattering of Kannada, at least to get by but one fellow found it very difficult. So I jokingly told him " replace all V and B in Tamil with B and V and there is Kannada for you". He asked suspiciously how can it be, so I pointed out to him "Viduthalai Puli" in Tamil = "Biduthale Uli" in Kannada! He actually believed and tried it for a couple of days, causing considerable mirth in the office!

Last edited by Gansan : 30th April 2010 at 13:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks