Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 12:03   #1
Team-BHP Support

TV Programme stealing your money at Rs 12 per Minute

Yesterday night I was awake quite late. At midnight I find a live TV Show.

They had this picture on the screen.
TV Programme stealing your money at Rs 12 per  Minute-face.jpg

If you can recognize the face and call then you will win Rs 80,000.

I watch the show for like 5 minutes. No one is calling up. So I think, maybe its late and no one watches this show.
So I dial in. Put on hold. A girls voice goes on and on about how I stand to win money if I am patient. 2 minutes and 30 seconds later I disconnect.
Rs 36 down the drain.

Then a couple of caller get thru. They all have the same kind of voice. The answers given were, Dia Mirza, Celina Jaitley, Konkana Sen, Soha and every name in the industry. Except the correct answer.

This show was running till almost 1 AM. The correct answer not yet received.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

Con Games would be a better name for such unethical TV Shows.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:09   #2
BANNED

This guy is doing overtly what every sport, game, tv show, soap, etc is doing underneath, so why shouldn't he. The choice is yours to make the call or not.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

I too have watched that so called "FAKE PROGRAMME", and once called them but the number was busy. I donot know how these fake programmes get through the proffessional TV channels.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
This guy is doing overtly what every sport, game, tv show, soap, etc is doing underneath, so why shouldn't he. The choice is yours to make the call or not.
Zaks. I have nothing against anyone making money.

I do have a problem when a show is so openly cheating.
How much time did it take you to recognize the model.
Not only did I take less than a second to identify the face. But found the exact picture online on the first result from google.

And when the show goes on for almost an hour without people suggesting the name of one of India's most popular faces. I smell something fishy.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:44   #5
BHPian

Yeah.. i agree! I tried calling there once too, listening to everyone blurting out wrong answers.. though i wasnt clever enough to understand the game plan, i went to waste 120Rs! Never again that i will cal.. infact, i wish we could file a complaint against such progs!
Old 10th May 2010, 12:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Oh!!! I opened up this thread with a different expectation, but now I understand the business part of the TV shows on this smile quiz. Well to be frank, I don't watch TV as much as I love surfing (you know which site by now), I avoid all the free stuffs, free gifts unless I see something is done for promotional & has a value for me. I strongly believe that, except sunlight, there's nothing that is available at free of cost.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:51   #7
BANNED

Looks like a pic of Mayawati to me. What answer did you give?
Old 10th May 2010, 12:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Even I did see the program at midnight a few days back and I was dumb enough to make a call at that unearthly hour and guess what, I was put on hold with the message saying the same blah blah blah... Held the call for 1 min 50 sec, so that makes it 24 bucks down the drain.

I agree 100% with what bblost has said. This is certainly daylight robbery (although it is done in the night).

I wonder how a respectable channel like NDTV associates itself with such channels. I am sure the authority who watches over TV programs will need to look in.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:10   #9
BHPian

Caveat Emptor is the name of the game here. I have seen this on television a couple of times and it is painfully obvious that this is a con-job.

I must say I am a bit surprised that people DO call, which in turn
explains how these ads still run.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:12   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Looks like a pic of Mayawati to me. What answer did you give?
Are you sure? It looked very much like Rakhi Sawant to me
Old 10th May 2010, 13:14   #11
BHPian

So why are so many people, who are intelligent and rational enough to discuss important issues about politics,religion, economy and everything in general still falling for these things? Greed? And then why blame others? Or go the American way of trying to sue your way out... like suing Starbucks for not mentioning "Caution! contents extremely hot" on their cup of hot coffee? The saddest part is when these litigants are actually awarded compensation, even out of court, for these antics. India and the US are two extreme ends where this is concerned, I think. I wish India moves more towards the center, but never remotely as far a litigious society as the US has become.

This fraud is the same level, in my opinion, as
1) News channels peddling "breaking news"
2) resorts offering "free" land
3) people offering free Mercedes cars with flats
4) People discussing what the contestants on so-called "reality" shows are doing wrong or right or whatever. Can you not see through the obvious pre-planned dramatics of those contestants, being directed by the producers to boost TRPs. It's expected of Rakhi Sawant, but is sad when someone like Asha Bhosale gets into a "fight" with (I think Himesh Reshammiya) on some crappy music show. Or Siddhartha Basu justifying "Sach Ka Saamna" as a genuine noble-at-heart intention to get people to open up.
5) World Wresting Federation "fights".

I mean, you watch all those things if you like the titillation that they are obviously trying to project, but to have righteous indignation when you find out that "it's not really real?" ?
Old 10th May 2010, 13:21   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
It looked very much like Rakhi Sawant to me
No no Rakhi Sawant is chubbier.

But comeone man if they had to give Rs 80k for the right answer. Would they have shown the picture of a such a well known personality? If it was me and I was genuine about giving away the prize money I could have shown the chin of my long gone grandmother and asked folks to recognize her.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

My comment is not to offend anyone, what was the reason to have dialing the said number on the screen? I can attribute 2 reasons.
1. Luck
2. Greed

I'm just thinking, if I need to make a show in one of the popular channel at the specified slot for so many minutes, how much should I invest on the production, pay the channel, pay for infrastructure, over & above the sum of the prize money. So if I make such a program, I should either make more than what I invested OR I should run for charity. If it is charity, they would ask money in public asking us to donate right?

In case of business, wouldn't I be interested to earn on my returns first rather than distributing the prize money? Wouldn't I try all the possible dirty tricks?

To answer bblost's point, yes there're would've been right answers during this time, but the only thing is that they wouldn't telecast them on the TV initially. they show all the incorrect entries first on the TV show.

Again, my sincere apologies, if anyone has been offended to the attributed reasons
Old 10th May 2010, 13:31   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
My comment is not to offend anyone, what was the reason to have dialing the said number on the screen?
Time pass and what the heck attitude. At the most Rs 12 gone anyways.

But problem is not the Rs 12 gone, problem is the interntion of the whole thing \, which is never to give any money but instead cheat.

Otherwise take it as a lesson learned for Rs 36 and hope some relative of the Controlling Board in India falls for the same gimmick.

Last edited by Spitfire : 10th May 2010 at 13:32.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:49   #15
BANNED

like the OP said they are charging Rs.12/- min , the revenue sharing between the channel and service provider is 50:50.

More the Caller more revenue comes. Try complaining to TRAI or TDSAT
Attached Thumbnails
TV Programme stealing your money at Rs 12 per  Minute-aishwarya_rai_4.jpg  

Most Viewed