Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 22:19   #1
BHPian

The nuisance of unsolicited/marketing/bulk SMSs

I dont know how many of you get unsolicited/marketing SMSs but I get anywhere between 10 to 30 SMSs a day!

All kinds of services/products are offered including "Advertize your product through bulk SMSs, only 2p per SMS." Don't know whether to laugh or cry. I have never responded to an SMS to discourage the

As a positive side effect, the marketing calls have decreased nicely.

I'm on Vodafone and stay in Chennai, my number is on the DND registry. Does not seem to work at all.

Does everyone get these SMSs? Can something be done to stop getting them?
Old 12th May 2010, 22:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ya, i am sure many. And know what? now a days its also audio messages. I mean, the phone rings, you ick and it will sing some songs or ask you to dial some numbers for that song as dial tune etc...

And invariably it comes more often when we are in roaming

Oh I forgot. I have registered for the DND list in Airtel too. But makes no difference.

Last edited by mjothi : 12th May 2010 at 23:03.
Old 12th May 2010, 22:58   #3
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I get damn peeved when I get a call only to hear a snoring noise. Then there's enough bulk sms-es around. I got damn irritated when I started getting sms that goes like, naughty girl, lovely lass, $&*"£*&, ()"*£*&£"*(. Want to make friendship? call (some rubbish number). Thank god atleast those rubbish sms stopped. Now it's all to do with marketing, job, ringtone and related bakwas.
Old 12th May 2010, 23:03   #4
BHPian

Earlier the SMSes were sent from certain phone numbers , so it was possible to stop the inflow by adding your number in Do Not Dial List of the service provider. However , there is a new technique used these days , they send an sms using a sofware , when you check the sender it will show something like "TM-ICICI" or "VM-Omaxe" etc. I believe this is helping them to surpass the DND software and reach our phones.
Old 12th May 2010, 23:03   #5
Team-BHP Support

I too am fed up. Complained to Airtel but no use. Have learnt to grin and bear it !
Old 13th May 2010, 06:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

SMS - yes I get them quite frequently, but nothing close to beat your numbers @Proxima. I've set one of my favourite song as ringtone for SMS; so I don't get irritated compromising on my fav song.

The most irritating one, as of now for me, is from ICICI. I know their DND registry doesn't work & hence didn't register. Earlier I used to ask from where they call & tell them "Dad had gone to US & will be back after 2-3 months" (innocently, ofcourse) & that used to work for sometime. Then, I used to say, "Sir is in meeting, any message pls?". Nowdays they're smarter, looks like they're instructed first to ask my name & only then speak. So for the first time, I've to pick up & agree & say "No Thanks"; but yes, I save all those numbers under "Ignore This Call" & next time if they happen to call from the same number, I know what to do. I've set a different ringtone only for this name so that I know I should ignore it when I hear.

Last edited by aargee : 13th May 2010 at 06:10.
Old 13th May 2010, 10:29   #7
Team-BHP Support

See this related thread on the National DO NOT CALL list : LINK

cya
R
Old 13th May 2010, 16:22   #8
BHPian

I am also in this Do not call registry, calls have reduced to a great extent, but nowadays SMSses are becoming a nuisance, that too especially in chennai. I get the same message almost twice everytime, really irritating.
Old 13th May 2010, 16:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Telecom Unsolicited Commercial Communications (UCC) (Amendment) Regulations, 2008 provides a financial disincentive to telecom service providers and telemarketing companies - A Service provider who fails to take necessary action after the first complaint made by a user would be charged Rs.5,000 while in case of second such non-compliance the service provider would be charged Rs.20,000. The telemarketing companies would be liable to pay Rs.500 for each unsolicited commercial communication (call or SMS) and Rs.1,000 for every subsequent unsolicited commercial communication.
This is from the NDNC website. I religiously complain to my service providers. Aircel has stopped responding to my mails after I quoted this. Airtel still gives me case numbers and send a follow-up SMS stating that the number I got the SMS from belongs to another provider, and hence they have forwarded my complaint to them...

...and I still get Unsolicited Commercial SMS!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks