Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2014, 08:44   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: 1950's, 60's and 70's Hindi songs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
While we are discussing Talat, how about 'Yeh hawa yeh raat yeh chandani', forgot the move?
Or 'Jalte hain jis ke liye', from Sujata I think, Sunil Dutt singing into the telephone!
Of course..! Can one ever forget that! The Telephone song is an SD/Majrooh classic from Sujata. The other Talat songs which I love are from Chaya and "Us Ne Kaha Tha".
Old 30th November 2014, 18:59   #32
BHPian

Ampere/Honeybee
Hi
Am sure that it is Agha.
Yeh hawa yeh raat... is from Sangdil. Wasnt too sure whether it is from Sangdil or Footpath so rechecked on google)
You are right. It is from and Dutt singing into the telephone.
A great song from Sazaa " tum na jaane kiss jahaan mein kho gaye" One of the greats by Lata. Enjoy

Regards
PS: I am off to Dahanu for 4 nights. Be back on Fri. Pl keep the thread alive
Old 30th November 2014, 19:28   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Am sure that it is Agha.
Sir I think it is Talat. Here is the Video. The guy enacting it is Agha.

Here is the song list and singer list is wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patita_(1953_film)

PS: Have a safe trip. See you back!

Last edited by ampere : 30th November 2014 at 19:32.
Old 30th November 2014, 20:21   #34
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
While we are discussing Talat, how about 'Yeh hawa yeh raat yeh chandani', forgot the move?
Or 'Jalte hain jis ke liye', from Sujata I think, Sunil Dutt singing into the telephone!
'Yeh hawa yeh raat yeh chandani' is from movie Sangdil(starring Dilipkumar and Madhubala - movie was in limelight for a kissing scene!)

Good discussion, keep it on.
While we are discussing Talat and his silky voice, let me add a "itna na muzse to pyar badha" Sung by Talat in solo, also sung by Talat and Lata in duet. Composed by Salil Chawdhury (actually copied from a symphony from Beethoven!)

Another gem from Talat and Madanmohan from film Jahanaara - "Phir wahi shaam, wahi gham, wahi tanhaai".

Thanks
JLS
Old 30th November 2014, 20:53   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
While we are discussing Talat and his silky voice, let me add a "itna na muzse to pyar badha" Sung by Talat in solo, also sung by Talat and Lata in duet. Composed by Salil Chawdhury (actually copied from a symphony from Beethoven!)
Very true. Thats from the movie Chaya which is also one of my favourites.

Quote:
Another gem from Talat and Madanmohan from film Jahanaara - "Phir wahi shaam, wahi gham, wahi tanhaai".
Madan Mohan compositions were always classics. This was I think sunset years for Bharat Bhushan as a leading man.

Speaking of silky voice and smooth singing..How can one forget Hemant ! While every one knows the famous numbers, there is from movie called "Ek Jhalak". Worth a listen.
The song is called : "Hansta Hua Karwan Zindagi"

Last edited by ampere : 11th June 2015 at 09:17. Reason: typo
Old 30th November 2014, 23:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hemant da with his deep bass! Nagin, Bees Saal Baad, Kabuliwala and so many more!

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened to heroes like Vishwajit and the likes if they hadn't sung in the voices of such maestmaestros.
Old 1st December 2014, 00:42   #37
JLS
BHPian

Whenever I think of Hemant Kumar, I visualize Dev Anand, with dreamy eyes, with guitar in hand and wooing Gita Bali with "Yeh raat yeh chaandani phir kahaan", in movie Jaal.

I sometimes think whether Hemantda contributed more as a singer or as a composer.
His composition of Vande Maatram in Anand Math has resulted in such a powerful rendition of this song (especially in Lata Mangeshkar
voice), it is totally out of the world.

Is it possible to upload/embed mp3 files with posts similar to the way we put photos with posts
Regards
JLS

Last edited by JLS : 1st December 2014 at 00:59.
Old 1st December 2014, 08:56   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hemant da with his deep bass! Nagin, Bees Saal Baad, Kabuliwala and so many more!
And quite many more to the list as well!

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder what would have happened to heroes like Vishwajit and the likes if they hadn't sung in the voices of such maestmaestros.
+1. And to add to some more Bishwajit's collection: Kohra : "Ya Nayan Dare Dare", "Raah Bani Khud Manjil". My personal favourite: A movie called Bin Baadal Barsaat "Jab Jaag Uthe Arman" and the duet "Ek Baar Zara Fir Keh Do" (both penned by Shakeel Badauni)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Whenever I think of Hemant Kumar, I visualize Dev Anand, with dreamy eyes, with guitar in hand and wooing Gita Bali with "Yeh raat yeh chaandani phir kahaan", in movie Jaal.
Thats why in my initial post about Hemant, I had mentioned that his mention usually reminds one about Dev Anand. (Other than Jaal the others I love: Solva Saal: Hai Apna Dil to Awara, Baat Ek Raat Ki: "Na Tum Hame Jaano" etc) Both with SD Burman. And who can forget Khamoshi: "Tum Pukkar Lo" and Anupama : "Yaa Dil Ki Suno"

With regards to SD, there are many in the current/new generation who think his son RD Burman to be the greatest. In fact they consider RD to be the torch bearer of "old songs". No doubt he was genious, but many may have not even heard the compositions of his dad! Not sure if many also know that the Burmans come from the royal family of Tripura. And as regards to SD's voice, let me talk about it later! It requires a different dimension altogether!

Quote:
I sometimes think whether Hemantda contributed more as a singer or as a composer.His composition of Vande Maatram in Anand Math has resulted in such a powerful rendition of this song (especially in Lata Mangeshkar
voice), it is totally out of the world.
That was really one constraint many a times, which resulted in Hemant doing less movies compared to others. Because he would ask for both composition and playback, if he was composing. Of course they were brilliant. But I must say, some how SD utilized his playback potential in a much better way (personal opinion).

Last edited by ampere : 1st December 2014 at 09:05.
Old 2nd December 2014, 13:35   #39
Senior - BHPian

Vow a thread on Talat and more!! Am from one crazy Talat loving family!! I have almost all his songs - his best and not so good ones too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In fact they consider RD to be the torch bearer of "old songs".
RD is not old - he is new gen Oldies were Pankaj Mullick, Naushad & Co!!

Yes, RD is considered by many as the greatest - but somehow for me, his songs doesn't create the same tension and release of tension that Indian music is known for. (Exceptions are there, though) I think I may be impaled on a stake for saying this

My top favourites are Madan Mohan (Lag ja gale, Naino mein bhadra), Anil Biswas (Ae dil mujhe aisi, Woh din kahan gaye bata), Naushad (More Panghat Pe, Mere Mehboob Tujhe)

But there are two songs, after listening to which I switch off and don't listen to anything else

1. Haye Re Woh Din Kyun Na Aye - Anuradha, Pt. Ravi Shankar
2. Aa Ja Re Aa Nindiay Tu Aa - Do Bigha Zameen, Salilda

Thanks guys - this thread should be my go to thread now!!
Old 2nd December 2014, 13:49   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Vow a thread on Talat and more!! Am from one crazy Talat loving family!! I have almost all his songs - his best and not so good ones too!!
+1! And so am I...

Quote:
RD is not old - he is new gen Oldies were Pankaj Mullick, Naushad & Co!!
Thats for you and me !

Quote:
Yes, RD is considered by many as the greatest - but somehow for me, his songs doesn't create the same tension and release of tension that Indian music is known for. (Exceptions are there, though) I think I may be impaled on a stake for saying this
He is good no doubt. But yes, every one has is own choices. For me too. RD to me applies more like Teesri Manzil. Yes he has quite some amazing classical as well. But RD for me is more fun loving.

Quote:
My top favourites are Madan Mohan (Lag ja gale, Naino mein bhadra), Anil Biswas (Ae dil mujhe aisi, Woh din kahan gaye bata), Naushad (More Panghat Pe, Mere Mehboob Tujhe)
Naushad: What more to say. He just did about 50-100 movies and yet he is a legend. That talks of the amount of hard work and pain that went into each song craft.

Quote:
But there are two songs, after listening to which I switch off and don't listen to anything else
1. Haye Re Woh Din Kyun Na Aye - Anuradha, Pt. Ravi Shankar
2. Aa Ja Re Aa Nindiay Tu Aa - Do Bigha Zameen, Salilda
@Faustus, Please Note the first song... Again its Shailendra's lyrics. See what I meant with simplicity of lyrics?

I must have watched Anuradha umpteen number of times! The end scene signifies the power the movie conveys.
Old 2nd December 2014, 14:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1!
Naushad: What more to say. He just did about 50-100 movies and yet he is a legend. That talks of the amount of hard work and pain that went into each song craft.
Naushad - right from Jab dil he toot gaya in Shahjahan, 1946 to Manasa Nilayil in Malayalam, late eightees!! Wonderful songs. But he was more of a improviser

Quote:

@Faustus, Please Note the first song... Again its Shailendra's lyrics. See what I meant with simplicity of lyrics?
Not much of a lyrics man ( for me music transcends man-made lyrics). But as you say, some of the simple lyrics by itself lends a...lyrical quality to the tune. Songs like Mohe panghat pe nandlal (Mughal-E-Azam), Jiya le gayoji (Anpadh) by itself creates the tune.

Shailendra's association with SJ created some magic works. You would be interested in something I came across now

http://www.cinemasangeet.com/hindi-f...nd-hasrat.html

Quote:
I must have watched Anuradha umpteen number of times! The end scene signifies the power the movie conveys.
Not seen this movie. Should get hold of it

My day's work gone. Am out of this for today!bye!
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With regards to SD, there are many in the current/new generation who think his son RD Burman to be the greatest. In fact they consider RD to be the torch bearer of "old songs". No doubt he was genious, but many may have not even heard the compositions of his dad! Not sure if many also know that the Burmans come from the royal family of Tripura. And as regards to SD's voice, let me talk about it later! It requires a different dimension altogether!
You stole the words out of my mouth! I have had many a war with young guns on this one. SD Burman, along with Salil Chaudhary are still my favourite composers.

There was talk about Hemantda the singer vs composer. A song in Anumapa by Lata, "kuch dil ne kaha" says so much about Hemantada the composer. He let Lata's voice flow undisturbed by music in that song. Very minimal use of instruments, and full freedom to the singer. I love listening to Talat, Hemantda and Manna Dey.
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:39   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Naushad - right from Jab dil he toot gaya in Shahjahan, 1946 to Manasa Nilayil in Malayalam, late eightees!! Wonderful songs. But he was more of a improviser
Very true. He was not a movie churner like others. Like others he too had his favourite lyrics guy. And that was Shakeel Badauni.

A Trivia: How many know that the song "Dil Hi Toot Gaya" from Shah Jahan in 46 and "Pehla Nasha" in Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar (92-93) were written by the same guy: Majrooh. Really tells about the guy's adaptation capabilities with times.

Quote:
Not much of a lyrics man ( for me music transcends man-made lyrics). But as you say, some of the simple lyrics by itself lends a...lyrical quality to the tune. Songs like Mohe panghat pe nandlal (Mughal-E-Azam), Jiya le gayoji (Anpadh) by itself creates the tune.
Quote:
Shailendra's association with SJ created some magic works. You would be interested in something I came across now
The very reason I loved SJ camp was because of Shailendra. By the way his association with Salil Chowdhary and SD Burman are few; but they are stuff legends are made of. Example:
Salil : Madhumati, Us ne Kaha tha etc
SD : Kala Bazar (Khoya Khoya Chand and many more), Meri Surat Teri Aanken (Naache Man Mora, Pucho Na Kaise Maine Rain Bitayi).

Speaking of this, even Hasrat Jaipuri had a couple of movies for SD. They were also very good. Ziddi (Ye Meri Zindagi by Lata is amazingly free flowing song) and the ever green Tere Ghar Ke Saamne. The song Tu kahan ye bata has a nice echoing effect. Brilliantly sung by Rafi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
There was talk about Hemantda the singer vs composer. A song in Anumapa by Lata, "kuch dil ne kaha" says so much about Hemantada the composer. He let Lata's voice flow undisturbed by music in that song. Very minimal use of instruments, and full freedom to the singer. I love listening to Talat, Hemantda and Manna Dey.
Thats again the hallmark of that movie and one of the greatest songs by Kaifi Azmi. Very true about about use of almost no instruments.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd December 2014 at 16:40.
Old 3rd December 2014, 08:48   #44
Senior - BHPian

I have been a Talat fan. I love almost all his songs. One of the songs that I keep hearing whenever I get a chance is "shaam e gham ki kasam" from footpath. It just takes me to a different level.
Old 3rd December 2014, 09:17   #45
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent thread folks
One of my favorites is the Manna Dey classic "Sur Na Saje" from Basant Bahar, a 1956 film and music by Shankar-Jaikishen. This song comopsed by this duo is so much unlike the music they composed in the subsequent decades

Last edited by NPV : 3rd December 2014 at 09:20.

Most Viewed