Old 23rd December 2014, 00:58   #91
BHPian

Re: 1950's, 60's and 70's Hindi songs?

Hi everybody.
No mention of Geeta Dutt !!
A couple of favoutites of mine.
A)

B)

A few months ago somebody had posted, on FB, recent pictures of Nanda, Sadhana and a couple of other beauties of 1950s and 1960s with the caption how they look now. My comment was this song " waqt ne kiya kya hassen sitam"
Regards
Old 23rd December 2014, 07:19   #92
Team-BHP Support

Of course Geeta Dutt (or Geeta Roy!). Some of the songs are amazing. There is one group song from the movie Gunj Uthi Shehnai : Akhiyan Bhool Gayi Hai Sona. Geeta's is the lead voice followed by Lata. That Bharat Vyas/Vasant Desai is one which I remember the most.

Speaking of group songs in the male playback world, my all time favorites are two of them :
- Hai Aag hamare seene me from Jis Desh me Ganga Behti hai (Beautiful and simple lyrics as usual from Shailendra).

- Last and by no means the least (the best of the lot in my opinion) is the Madan Mohan classic from Haqeeqat. Hooke Majboor Mujhe. Madan/Mohan got a coup of sorts getting the best of the lot. Talat, Manna Dey, Rafi and Bhupendra. That song is one which just refuses to fade away from memory.
Old 23rd December 2014, 23:27   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Of course Geeta Dutt (or Geeta Roy!). Some of the songs are amazing. There is one group song from the movie Gunj Uthi Shehnai : Akhiyan Bhool Gayi Hai Sona. Geeta's is the lead voice followed by Lata. That Bharat Vyas/Vasant Desai is one which I remember the most.

Speaking of group songs in the male playback world, my all time favorites are two of them :
- Hai Aag hamare seene me from Jis Desh me Ganga Behti hai (Beautiful and simple lyrics as usual from Shailendra).

- Last and by no means the least (the best of the lot in my opinion) is the Madan Mohan classic from Haqeeqat. Hooke Majboor Mujhe. Madan/Mohan got a coup of sorts getting the best of the lot. Talat, Manna Dey, Rafi and Bhupendra. That song is one which just refuses to fade away from memory.
Ampere. Hi
The Haqeeqat one is amazing. Well picturized. Dont remember the Gunj Uthi Shehnai. Will look it up on the net.
Another great from Haqeeqat was "main yeh soch kar uske dar se utha tha.." Loved it, love it and will love it
Regards
Old 24th December 2014, 00:31   #94
Team-BHP Support

The way we speak about Shankar Jaikishan camp the SD Burman camp was another power house churning out one melody after another. Majrooh was most stable lyric writer over the years in that camp. Initially it was Sahir before the Dev Era and later it was Anand Bakshi post the Dev Era. During mid 50s to late 60s, SD gave some brilliant songs which show his class. All the Dev/SD movies were hallmarks in music. Paying Guest, Tere Ghar ke Saamne, Prem Pujari, Jewel Thief, Taxi Driver, Nau Do Gyarah, Solva Saal, Guide, Kala Pani, Baazi, Jaal, Munimji, Kala Bazaar.... The List is endless.

SD was an integral part of Dev camp. The instant one thinks SD, all one can remember is Dev Anand. He was truly Shankar and Jaikishan rolled into one. He could move from a classical to a western genre at the drop of a hat and the change would be seamless!

Last edited by ampere : 24th December 2014 at 00:32.
Old 24th December 2014, 14:30   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

SD was an integral part of Dev camp. The instant one thinks SD, all one can remember is Dev Anand.
And today being the birthday of Rafi saab, here is one from the trio SD/Dev Anand/Rafi

Din dhal jay - Guide

Old 24th December 2014, 15:21   #96
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @mallumowgli for reminding Rafi Saab's birthday. I have discovered some gems that I was not that aware of from this thread. Hope it will keep getting interesting.
Old 24th December 2014, 15:59   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
And today being the birthday of Rafi saab, here is one from the trio SD/Dev Anand/Rafi
Of course the best of Guide! And my favourite too. (My harping point.. Lyrics by Shailendra )

Yes knew about Rafi's birthday. Vivid Bharathi was full of him today! And its still going strong!

Its impossible to pick one! The instant I think of one I remember one more !
Old 24th December 2014, 17:20   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Mohd. Rafi - The man with silken voice. With Kishore Kumar and Mukesh, they together made the formidable trio in the 60s & 70s of mainstream bollywood music. Another song from Guide: Tere mere sapne. Amazing voice quality & expressions to go with the mood of the movie.
Rightly said, impossible to pick one though.
Old 24th December 2014, 23:53   #99
BHPian

Hi everybody.
Ampere. Hi. Well said. You pick one and another pops out.
Love his "tum jo mil gaye..." from Hanste Zakham.
You mentioned A. Bakshi. He used to stay in my building before his career zoomed.

Love this Shailendra's(your favourite) song from Beti bete specially the verse "hai bujha bujha sa dil woh bhi saans saans par phir bhi ji rahen hain hum sirf kal ki aas par.... " Cant be a lot of tomorrows left as I am 70 +

A great song from Maya ( Salil da). I think it has a Bengali origin. Is it Shailendra's ? I wish I could find that baharon ka desh ..

Enjoy.
PS:Read today that Sahir's grave has been washed away. Sad.
PPS: Sad songs on a xmas eve. Sorry friends.
Old 25th December 2014, 10:56   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody.
Ampere. Hi. Well said. You pick one and another pops out.
Love his "tum jo mil gaye..." from Hanste Zakham.
Awesome song this is! One of the best from the Lakshmikant PyareLal combos.

Quote:
You mentioned A. Bakshi. He used to stay in my building before his career zoomed.
Wow so close! In fact before Anand Bakshi's career zoomed with L-P he had written some for S-D who was getting old. This was late 60s early 70s (Aradhna-Rajesh Khanna time time). He had some amazing ones with R-D also. But most of his career blossomed with L-P.

Quote:
Love this Shailendra's(your favourite) song from Beti bete specially the verse "hai bujha bujha sa dil woh bhi saans saans par phir bhi ji rahen hain hum sirf kal ki aas par.... " Cant be a lot of tomorrows left as I am 70 +
Beti-Bete is another one from the Shankar-Jaikishan treasure chest. There is one more song from the movie, called Radhika tune Bansari churayi.

One thing the old songs have taught me is to always live for today. So sir please forget coming of tomorrows and live in today! Hope you have a very fulfilled journey. (With lots of Vivid Bharati in it!)

Sunil Dutt and S-J remind me of a couple of more movies. One is Gaban. A couple of songs (Ehsaan Mere Dil Pe Tumhara Hai Doston and the Tum Bin Sajan Barse Nayan). And the second one which is a Lata classic all the way Amrapali. In spite of the 60s swinging Shammi era, it had S-J give some beautiful classical music. Its impossible to single out any song from the movie. Each one is fantastic.

Quote:
A great song from Maya ( Salil da). I think it has a Bengali origin. Is it Shailendra's ? I wish I could find that baharon ka desh ..
I think its Majrooh. How about Koi ke Sone ke Dil wala. Thats my favorite from the movie.

Sad to hear about Saahir. Yesterday K Balachander expired. I also found out that Unche Log was his movie (The one with the song Jaag Dile Deewana).

Last edited by ampere : 25th December 2014 at 10:59.
Old 25th December 2014, 11:27   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
A great song from Maya ( Salil da). I think it has a Bengali origin. Is it Shailendra's ?
My favourite from that movie. Thanks. I have always liked sweeping melodies

Quote:
Awesome song this is! One of the best from the Lakshmikant PyareLal combos.
Hanste Zakhm was by Madan Mohan - not LP.

Btw, was never a fan of LP - a few exceptions like Baharon ki Manzil with songs like Chale aoo and Yeh Daman Ab Na Chhutega Kabhi. Interestingly when I first heard this song, I thought it was by Madan Mohan

Listen to this - has a very clear Madan Mohanism to it

Last edited by mallumowgli : 25th December 2014 at 11:32.
Old 25th December 2014, 11:42   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hanste Zakhm was by Madan Mohan
My mistake. Yes its Madam Mohan. Some how it always registered to me as L-P Dont know why.

Quote:
Btw, was never a fan of LP - a few exceptions like Baharon ki Manzil with songs
Same here. Never was a fan either. Never liked his 70s/80s music as well.

Maya was a favourite one of mine too. Sep Koi Sone Ke Dil Wala and Tasveer Teri Dil Mein. Salil had a great orchestration sense.

Quote:
Hanste Zakhm was by Madan Mohan - not LP.
The other Madan Mohan classics I love are the two Sadhna thrillers. Wo Koun Thi and Mera Saya.

"Naino me Badara Chaye" is a classic Madan Mohan with Raja Mehndi Ali Khan.

Last edited by ampere : 21st July 2015 at 00:53. Reason: Merged posts
Old 25th December 2014, 23:22   #103
BHPian

Hi everybody.
3 great songs of 1970s. Rendition by the Shillong Choir. Amazing. Guatranteed to give you goosepimples/ a lump in your throat. Enjoy
A) Yaadon ki baraat.
B)Ajeeb daastaan hai yeh?Yeh dosti.
C)Kabhi aar kabhi paar/ yeh vaadaa raha/ chura liya hai tumne.
Old 26th December 2014, 20:20   #104
Team-BHP Support

When we talk of 70s and 80s, mostly it was L-P and Kalyanji-Anandji dominated era. RD was of course the king. But the numbers came through others.

But I think most of the "new" generation realised RD to be the god. Especially songs which he had with Gulzaar.

Mera Kuch Samaan (Ijaajat), Songs from Masoom, Andhi, Khushboo, Golmaal etc were what many eulogised to be the best of Hindi Film music. Of course they are good no doubt. But there are others beyond them too.

Meanwhile since Kalyanji-Anandji composed more action genre, many may not remember the movie Sarawati Chandra. That gentle song " Chandan Sa Badan" by Mukesh.

With regards to Amitabh era, all his movies are known more for him rather than the music. But there do exist some exceptions. Couple of them I have already mentioned in an earlier post: Abhiman and Alap.

Couple more I would like mention : A movie, called Manzil which had that classic song " Rimjhim Gire Saawan" (Yogesh and SD). Another one called Satte pe Satta. (Lifted from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers). But the music was fantastic. Very lively and Very RD!

Last edited by ampere : 21st July 2015 at 00:55.
Old 28th December 2014, 22:57   #105
BHPian

Hi everybody.
A great song by Pankaj Udhas. Movie Naam
Captures the sadness of persons migrating for mostly economic reasons

Another song from the movie Aitbaar. Didnt do so well at box office. Enjoy.

PS: Ampere Hi. Omar Khayyam " Dead yesterday unborn tomorrow why fret about them if today be sweet. Strongly believe it. My point was about the country. Rgds

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks