Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2005, 17:47   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
www.hamaracd.com from HMV is a very good resource. You can search for songs, hear a preview of each song and can order customized CDs (Audio CDs though and not mp3).

Check http://www.hamaracd.com/hcdindia/as....asp?eid=10%2B3
CNU - Thanks a ton again! Just placed a huge order with HamaraCD as per my fathers choice.

GTO
Old 9th November 2005, 18:10   #17
cnu
BHPian

You're Welcome GTO. Keep us informed about the service of HamaraCD once you receive your shipment.
Old 11th November 2005, 00:01   #18
BHPian

GTO, if you want to make a list of hits, here is a good place.

http://www.anothersubcontinent.com/f...p?showforum=13

Every saturday, these guys take a year (serially) and discuss the best songs of the year. They started from 1950 and have now reached 1969.

A good place to d/l legal music is www.emusic.com You can d/l for as cheap as $0.22 per track. This is very useful especially when d/l hindustani classical music, where each track goes on for 30 mins, and there are only 2-3 tracks per CD. Even when d/l HF music, assuming an avg. 4 mins song-length, 15 track (one CD-full) costs only $3.20 compared to Rs.275 for hamaracd. And it's all legal.

If your dad wants any particular track, you may PM me. I have 300+ audio CDs (half of which on Hindi film music) and several high quality mp3 tracks. A total of around 3000 songs. Most of my collection is from 1950 to 1970.

M
Old 24th November 2014, 23:30   #19
Team-BHP Support

Re: 1950's, 60's and 70's Hindi songs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Yeh mera deewanapan is by Mukesh. I am sure you would be aware of it.
Regarding reviving the old thread I shall appreciate if you would do the honors, at least initially.
My introduction to Shankar Jaikishan was through the world of Mukesh and Raj Kapoor. But as I went further I realised S-J had much more than Mukesh alone. In fact to me of that trio S-J, Hasrat and Shailendra, it was actually Shailendra who was the master craftsman. It was thanks to him, my admiration for whole group went up.

If you see the overall compositions of all their (S/J camp) handiwork, you can very easily spot the differences between Shailendra and Hasrat's work. Lyrics by Shailendra were much-much simpler in words and not heavy. That made it even more impressionable. Similar is Shailendra's association with SD. Kala Bazar being the most notable one (Khoya Khoya Chand). In fact that movie also has one of the most beautiful double entendres. "Apni to har aah ek toofan hai". Amazingly picturized as well.

And another very notable reminiscence of the SJ camp was classical compositions of Jaikishan.

PS: Once in a while I still listen to Vividh Bharathi.

Last edited by ampere : 24th November 2014 at 23:39.
Old 25th November 2014, 23:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
My introduction to Shankar Jaikishan was through the world of Mukesh and Raj Kapoor. But as I went further I realised S-J had much more than Mukesh alone. In fact to me of that trio S-J, Hasrat and Shailendra, it was actually Shailendra who was the master craftsman. It was thanks to him, my admiration for whole group went up.

If you see the overall compositions of all their (S/J camp) handiwork, you can very easily spot the differences between Shailendra and Hasrat's work. Lyrics by Shailendra were much-much simpler in words and not heavy. That made it even more impressionable. Similar is Shailendra's association with SD. Kala Bazar being the most notable one (Khoya Khoya Chand). In fact that movie also has one of the most beautiful double entendres. "Apni to har aah ek toofan hai". Amazingly picturized as well.

And another very notable reminiscence of the SJ camp was classical compositions of Jaikishan.

PS: Once in a while I still listen to Vividh Bharathi.
Ampere
Hi
I am afraid I wasnt conversant with the lyricists. Except maybe Sahir Ludhianvi.
He was anti establishment and that is the reason he did not win any recognition from the government, until late in life.
His amazing songs:
Chino arab hamara. Rehne ko ghar nahin hai saara jahaan hamara.
Jinhe naaz hai Hind par woh kahan hai
Woh subah kabhi to aayegi. (My comment: I have been waiting for decades for the morning to come. Still wating )
Regards
Wow. You listen to VB !!!. Great.
Old 25th November 2014, 23:55   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am afraid I wasnt conversant with the lyricists. Except maybe Sahir Ludhianvi.
He was anti establishment and that is the reason he did not win any recognition from the government, until late in life.
Saahir had 2-3 great associations. Initially it was with SD. And then with Roshan, he had some extremely elegant compositions. I think that was the peak.

In the later period he got along well with Khaiyyam. (Phir Suhah Hogi I think is a product of that association).
Old 27th November 2014, 23:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Saahir had 2-3 great associations. Initially it was with SD. And then with Roshan, he had some extremely elegant compositions. I think that was the peak.

In the later period he got along well with Khaiyyam. (Phir Suhah Hogi I think is a product of that association).
Ampere
Hi.
Thanks for the tidbit. Wasn's aware of it.
I would add a gem of a song and as far as I know it is the only song which Rafi has sung for Kishore. From the movie " Shararat "
Ajab hai dastaan teri yeh zindagi. 2 Versions.
Here is one.

Enjy. Regards
Old 27th November 2014, 23:27   #23
Team-BHP Support

What! I didn't know Rafi had sung playback for Kishore Kumar. Very surprising fact.
Old 27th November 2014, 23:59   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From the movie " Shararat "
Ajab hai dastaan teri yeh zindagi. 2 Versions.
Here is one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What! I didn't know Rafi had sung playback for Kishore Kumar. Very surprising fact.
And the fact that its not in the early stages of Kishore's career. This was in 59. Shararat was a Silver Jubilee in terms of songs and Kishore had a fair share of songs in the movie. (Hum Matwale Naujawan being one of them). If you see from that point of view this act is even more surprising.

Here is one more

Switching tracks there are some many many amazing gems by others who did not get the big budget movies, but nonetheless used to compose some fantastic songs. One such movie being Oonche Log. And the music director in question: Chitragupta. (He is also father of Anand and Milind).

Enjoy this one: Jaag Dil-e Deewana.

Last edited by ampere : 11th June 2015 at 09:14. Reason: fixed typo
Old 28th November 2014, 23:52   #25
BHPian

Ampere
Hi
Oonche Log number is an amazing song. Loved it when I saw the movie and still love it.
In fact listened to it on Youtube last month
There are 2 other songs(from the 1960s) that I dont tire of listening.
Mere Sanam "jaaye aap kahan jayenge"
Roti Kapda Makaan " Hai hai yeh majboori"
Old 29th November 2014, 00:26   #26
BHPian

GTO,if you are looking for MP3 songs,then try www.abmp3songs.com
Old 29th November 2014, 13:06   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mere Sanam "jaaye aap kahan jayenge"
This movie I remember more for Rafi's "Pukarata Chala Hoon Main". Brilliiantly delivered.

Another voice which had a limited fan following was of Talat. Of course he was also known more in the Ghazal circles. But even in films he had some gems. Few which I just love are: Taxi Driver "Jaye to Jaye Kahan" (SD) and Daag "Andhe Jahan ke Andhe Raaste" (SJ).

A lesser know one is from a movie called "Roop ki Raani Choron ka Raja". A fantastic duet again with Shankar Jaikishan. "Tum to dil ke taar ched kar". (You can again feel the simplicity of Shailendra's lyrics in the SJ composition)
Old 30th November 2014, 00:34   #28
BHPian

Ampere
Hi.
Talat which caresses you like velvet. Unfortunately his voice didnt suit too many heroes of that time.
Tum to dil.. Very melodious.
Andhe jahan ke andhe is from Patita sung by Agha. Last month posted on FB a line from it " jeene ki chahat nahin marke bhi rahat nahin. Is paar aansoo us paar ansoo ..
Daag's are 1)"ai mere dil kahin aur chal gham ki duniya se dil bhar gaya 2) Koi nahin mera and there is a 3rd one. Cant remember now.
Amazing by him.. Main dil hoon ek armaan bhara singing for Raj Kapoor (Amber ??). One of the few he sang for RK.
Another gem which I posted on FB a few days back " Raahi matwaale .. Waris ??(with Suraiya crooning in the background)
Enjoy
Regards
Old 30th November 2014, 01:13   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Andhe jahan ke andhe is from Patita sung by Agha.
Sorry for that slip sir. It is indeed Patita (I did know about it. Just slipped). And from Daag I meant the "A Mere Dil Kahin Aur chal". Both Happy and sad.

But are you sure it was Agha? It was indeed Talat I thought. On screen its Agha. (See again the simplicity of the lyrics...! All the songs in discussion)

Of course Rahi Matwale is a classic.

Last edited by ampere : 30th November 2014 at 01:20.
Old 30th November 2014, 08:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

While we are discussing Talat, how about 'Yeh hawa yeh raat yeh chandani', forgot the move?
Or 'Jalte hain jis ke liye', from Sujata I think, Sunil Dutt singing into the telephone!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks