Team-BHP - If music can take time to grow on you, why not cars?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   If music can take time to grow on you, why not cars? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/81677-if-music-can-take-time-grow-you-why-not-cars.html)

I have read umpteen number of threads where people have made their buying decisions based on a short lived TD. While I myself did the same to choose my car, I wondered many a times that what I perceived about the car in those 20-30min is not exactly what the car had to offer. Only after spending a considerable amount of time/Km with the car, I was able to really understand the car and its potential (not just its performance and useful features, but something more).

A car that appear good during the TD might end up being not exactly the same over a period and the car that falls short of your expectations during a TD might end up being the best thing you have ever bought in your life. In both the cases, how exactly the opinion is getting changed ?

Taking the question a bit further. Is it right to make a purchase decision based on a TD of about 20 to 30mins? If not, how could one better understand a car before buying it?

The ironic thing is that a majority of cars in India are bought without any testdrive at all, forget 10 or 20 minutes !

Ofcourse a few things can change for the better or worse over a longer period / different driving conditions etc -- but i think thats also where research comes in. The same way as you can't watch a TV for more than 20mins at the showroom before you decide to buy it.
Hit the internet, pick up some magazines and cruise through the points that others have written about it from their long(er) term ownerships or test. Thats why we have a whole section on that on Team-BHP, and thats why it brings so much value.

As for the title of this thread, i think one thing that could grow on you (and others) is the LOOKS of the car. The more you see something, the more you get accustomed to it (in some cases). A feeling of familairity can be linked to the perception of beauty too.

cya
R

Use the friends' or neighbours' cars to get a feeling of their handling, comfort and other characteristics. Whenever going on a short/long drive, evaluate the vehicle in your mind and see how well it fits your needs.

For complete newbies who are still serious to match the vehicle with their needs, start with used vehicles, something as cheap as a M800 to get a feel of how a vehicle behaves. Once you get to know how a car actually behaves, it becomes better to put in perspective a different car. For e.g. once I have driven a M800 extensively and know how it behaves, it would be easier for me to drive a Santro for a few minutes and see how it compares with the M800. Prior experience definitely helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CliffHanger (Post 1890323)
Taking the question a bit further. Is it right to make a purchase decision based on a TD of about 20 to 30mins? If not, how could one better understand a car before buying it?

For majority its the A.S.S, FE, Resale Value and Ownership Cost which makes or breaks the deal. So knowing or understand a 'Car' is something which takes the back seat. Hence IMO 20 to 30mins TD is good enough to finalize a car!!

Having said that, as far as minority (read as enthusiasts) is concerned, they will anyway TD multiple vehicles multiple times as an when launched or TD for their friends, relatives and so on hence know were well before what they are buying :)

Well a twenty to thirty minute TD will do if you know what you're looking for. Things like performance, ride and handling, comfort etc. can be evaluated fairly well in that time. Yes, there are small things that you will discover about your car after you buy it but the important criteria can be evaluated during the TD IMO

Quote:

Originally Posted by CliffHanger (Post 1890323)
A car that appear good during the TD might end up being not exactly the same over a period and the car that falls short of your expectations during a TD might end up being the best thing you have ever bought in your life. In both the cases, how exactly the opinion is getting changed ?

I have read lot of Test drive reports on the Team-BHP, and I believe they are written after 150 - 200 Kms of Driving a car. Most of the writeups were so good while reading that it felt as if I myself was Test Driving the car (For ex the FIGO TD by GTO). Hence, I think until you have a strong bias/liking for a certain car the steps below can easily help in finalising it.
1)Read Team-BHP test drive report of a car which you want to purchase.
2)Prepare notes from it in your Diary.
3)Go for a TD yourself, then instead of listening and beliving what the salesman tells you use your notes to identify pros/cons of that car. If you are using your pre-researched notes during a TD of 20-30Kms you will be able to find atleast 90% of good/bad points in that car.
4)Then go Home, use your notes and discuss with your family, wife etc.
5)Check your budget.
6)Listen to what your mind/heart says and decide if you want to buy it or not.
7)Once bought love your car like your own baby and rest will be taken care of by GOD.
For the case where people have a strong liking for certain car/bike, where HEART always rules the MIND, above steps may not hold true. Even after so many bad experiences of SKODA products it still sells.Lot of people on TeamBHP bought it and have written good things about it(Point 7) in this forum.