Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2010, 20:51   #1
BHPian

English Plagiarization of Indian Movies

Hi Guys,

We have all seen how our Bollywood Directors pick Hollywood plots and make Hindi movies. While the movie is in making they say it's an original plot, once it release in theaters they say it was an "inspiration". I believe 90% of Bollywood movies released each year are mindlessly picked scene to scene from Hollywood movies.

Somene said example ? I do not think this place is enough for the list as there will be thousands but it's an easy guess.

However , However - this thread is not for what I have discussed above. This is to identify those Hollywood movies which have been picked from our Bollywood movies. It came to my mind after watching a movie last week , From Paris with Love (2010). This was OK Type movie starring my favourite John Travolta doing some fast paced action. While watching it you will never realise that its a copy however in last half an hour when the mystry starts to unfold you realise that this is a copy from our very own "Dil Se (1998)". The plot has been picked very "dil se" from our "Dil Se".

So which one was better - Our very own Homemade "Dil Se" was much much better than the Hollywood flick.

I would like to know from fellow BHPIANS if you remember any other Hollywood Flick which have been picked straightway from Bollywood.

@Mods : if you think this thread needs to be merged in some already existing discussion then please do the needful as I could not find any previous discussion for this topic.
Old 21st May 2010, 11:26   #2
BHPian

Although there must be some Hollywood flicks inspired by Hindi movies (or Indian in general) this is not as rampant as the other way round so difficult to remember too many.

Of course Hollywood traditionally lifts their plots/storylines from Chinese/South American movies a LOT or just officially makes them as remakes.
Old 21st May 2010, 11:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

E.T. was based on/inspired by a short story written by Satyajit Ray. However, no credit was given to him. At one stage, he even contemplated going legal against the producers.
Old 21st May 2010, 13:08   #4
BHPian

Not sure but I think "Walking Tall" was very similar to "Mahadev".
Old 21st May 2010, 15:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

The plot of Avatar is the same as that of Vietnam Colony (Malayalam / Tamil) which came out in the early 90's...

Umm.. How about saying "Indian movies" in the title, instead of focusing on Hindi movies alone?
Old 21st May 2010, 15:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
The plot of Avatar is the same as that of Vietnam Colony (Malayalam / Tamil) which came out in the early 90's...

Umm.. How about saying "Indian movies" in the title, instead of focusing on Hindi movies alone?
Leaving special effects storyline is very close to Vietnam Colony, say 95%. Very surprised to see that.
Old 21st May 2010, 15:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Leaving special effects storyline is very close to Vietnam Colony, say 95%. Very surprised to see that.
Well, they have taken the movie after close to two decades after the original - that too Avatar was in the making for years. Lets give them credit for the special effects that took so long to perfect on an age old plot
Old 21st May 2010, 21:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
E.T. was based on/inspired by a short story written by Satyajit Ray. However, no credit was given to him. At one stage, he even contemplated going legal against the producers.
I was shocked to read - Steven Spielberg one of the greatest director of Hollywood and one of my favourite is known to be the biggest duplicator of scripts. From the start of his career he has been fighting cases for palgarisation filed against him.

The website - Wild Realm Film Reviews: Spielberg &amp Plagiarism lists the details of all the movies which he has copied from one or other sources.
Old 21st May 2010, 21:56   #9
BHPian

The following is Steven (Stealberg)Speilberg’s Plagiarism Top 10 Movie List (a la Schnidler’s List ;-) ):

10. BEE MOVIE. 2007 Steve Hickner – Beebylon (Henrik Wallgren & Per Umaerus script, 2002)
9. DISTURBIA. 2005 D. J. Caruso – Rear Window (Cornell Woolrich story, Alfred Hitchcock film, 1954)
8. WHAT LIES BENEATH. 2000 Robert Zemeckis – (Peter Forde aka Gerhard Pieter Ferreira script)
7. CHICKEN RUN. 2000 Peter Lord & Nick Park – Escape From Cold Ditch (Alan Davidson, 1995)
6. AMISTAD. 1997 - Echo of Lions (Barbara Chase-Riboud's novel, 1988)
5. TORNADO. 1996 Noel Nossek -
4. TWISTER. 1996 Jan de Bont – Catch The Wind (Stephen Kessler screenplay, 1989)
3. ET: THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL. 1982 – The Alien (Satyajit Ray script, 1969)
2. GREAT WHITE. 1981 Mark Princi – Catch The Wind (Stephen Kessler screenplay 1989)
1. JAWS. 1975 Steven Spielberg - Moby Dick (Herman Melville novel, 1851)

Source :
STEVEN STEALberg - Hollywood's Reigning King Of Plagiarism | Iranian.com
Old 24th May 2010, 19:28   #10
BHPian

Come on BHPIANS "Long Time No Comments", I hope there are 100s of die hard english movie fans among us members. This will make up a rare list which if searched on Internet will be availble only on Team-BHP and nowhere else.
Old 24th May 2010, 20:50   #11
BHPian

It might be a bit off-topic and I don't know of Hollywood copying Indian movies, but what I do know is, if any Indian movie reaches Top 250 on IMDb, Americans rampantly award it lower rating to push it down the list. I mean, let's face it, how many non-hollywood movies are there in Top 250, movies that aren't legends, but good enough ?
Old 6th October 2010, 15:45   #12
BHPian

Saw one movie yesterday "We Own the Night (2007)" , the story was same as one of the greatest Bollywood hit and my favorite " Deewar ".
We can say that it was Hollywood Deewar.
Old 17th May 2011, 17:47   #13
BHPian

Re: English Plagiarization of Indian Movies

Fightclub is the one thats very glaringly copied that I have seen. I dont watch Hindi movies so I dont know more
Old 17th May 2011, 18:21   #14
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Fightclub is the one thats very glaringly copied that I have seen. I dont watch Hindi movies so I dont know more
FightClub -- the Brad Pitt movie is a copy of which Indian movie ?

As far as i know, its a screen adaptation of a novel of the same name.

I used to think that Dinner for Schmucks(2010) is a remake of Bheja Fry(2007)
Did a wiki on it and came to know that the original is a French movie, Le Dîner de Cons(1998)
Old 17th May 2011, 18:54   #15
BHPian

I might be posting on the wrong thread, but Fight Club (Brad Pitt) movie is copied into Hindi. I think it goes with the same name AFAIK - Fight club or something similar. That was the reason I said it was "glaringly" copied

"Vicky Khanna (Zayed Khan) lives a comfortable rich lifestyle with his widowed businessman dad in Bombay, who is always busy and has no time to spend with him. He generally hangs out with some of his college friends, Karan Chopra (Dino Morea), Somil (Riteish Deshmukh), and Dhiku (Aashish Chaudhary), who have just been fired from their respective jobs. While at a night club, he comes across several college students who want to settle scores physically. Vicky gets the idea to open up a fight club, a place where antagonists would settle scores with each other for a fee. The four friends find out that there are approximately 67 students who want to beat each other up, and thus the fight club is formed - with venues that are picked randomly in the wee hours all over Bombay Fight Club

Last edited by gtonsing : 17th May 2011 at 18:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks