Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

RIP, very sad news. My condolences.

Did this happen at the new airport in Mangalore?
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:01   #32
BANNED

For those interested, the list of passengers on board

Mathrubhumi - ????????????: ????????????? ??????

Edit :- economic times pust the number of survivors at 8, not 7.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 22nd May 2010 at 12:04.
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

RIP..never thought I would go thru a passenger list looking for familiar names..

This isn't the first time that a plane overshot the runway here.. But that was on the old runway. Landing on the old runway was always a hair raising experience.. Thought new one was longer and safer.

Last edited by spadival : 22nd May 2010 at 12:08.
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:06   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
News reports and visuals show that Mangalore airport had/has rain and bad weather. Rain or thundershowers can muck up a landing due to poor visibility, sudden gusts of wind can play havoc with the plane.
Aerially I am within 50Kms of the Airport and the weather here is very clear and very sunny. I can't see a rain cloud anywhere.

Photos from Daijiworld show dry terrain.

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...galore+Airport

Let's wait for the real reasons to come out.
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Aerially I am within 50Kms of the Airport and the weather here is very clear and very sunny. I can't see a rain cloud anywhere.

Photos from Daijiworld show dry terrain.

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...galore+Airport

Let's wait for the real reasons to come out.
Thanks for the info and link. I guess I was misled by some journo saying the crash happened due to bad weather and the visuals on TV which showed water drenched plants and people. I guess the water came from the fire engines.

As you so rightly said, let us wait for real reasons to come out.
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:20   #36
BHPian

Here is the complete list of passengers of Air India Express

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_disp.asp?n_id=77846&n_tit=Mangalore+%3A+Air+I ndia+Express+Crash+-+Complete+Passengers%27+List
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:44   #37
RVD
BHPian

Very sad news to start a weekend indeed. Hope the departed souls RIP. Coming to the fact that the captain was a Serb doen not have any bearing on this accident as it could well have been the Co-Pilot making the landing on this leg. Also, having an ILS system does not necessitate the use of it. The pilot can switch to a "Visual" landing if he has the runway in sight and thinks that he can fly the plane manually.

The weather also was an unlikely cause as slight drizzle has little or no bearing on the landing distance. Obviously when the runway is designed, it is done so taking into account the weather conditions, wind conditions etc of that area. Hence the length was enough taking all that into consideration.

One good thing in that, the aircraft being a Boeing, the US NTSB would surely be involved and that would make the jobs of the DGCA also much easier.

Regards

Rahul
Old 22nd May 2010, 13:10   #38
BHPian

very sad & tragic news indeed. May the departed souls RIP. May the almighty give strength to the relatives to bear the loss.
Old 22nd May 2010, 13:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

Horrible news. Prayers with the families of those who lost their lives. Its also a little irritating to see the media just jump into trying to find scapegoats, blame someone. Its first and foremost a tragic accident, and can we first respect the dead and empathize with those who remain in grief ?
Old 22nd May 2010, 13:38   #40
Senior - BHPian

The ill-fated aircraft (VT-AXV)
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-I...166f579ff9267b

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...6587325&nseq=3

Last flights:
VT-AXV - Air India Express - data.flight24.com

soucrce: Airliners.net / jetphotos.net

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 22nd May 2010 at 13:42.
Old 22nd May 2010, 13:47   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

This is really sad news and totally dampened my weekend spirit.

If i am not wrong a passenger plane crash of such a large proportion involving an indian carrier is happening for the first time in India ( or maybe after several years).

Can someone throw light on this one?

My heartfelt condolences to the familes of the deceased. May their souls RIP !
Old 22nd May 2010, 13:50   #42
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Very Sad indeed. Probably the worst crash in Indian Aviation History. My heart felt condolences to the family members of the deceased.

I heard the NDTV news and it said that the Serbian Pilot was experienced and had landed many times at the same airport. It also said that plane landed at the exact spot it was intended to and that the Pilot had not reported any abnormalities.

It seems that something went wrong after the flight landed.

Just got this on Yahoo.com

Fortunate to be alive, says survivor

"It has been a hair raising experience and I am fortunate to be still alive," says Umar Farooq, one of the lucky survivors of the fatal Air India aircraft crash here today. Farooq, who suffered burns on his face and hands, managed to jump out of the aircraft as it caught fire after one of its wings hit a hillock before landing at Kenjar near here.

He said the aircraft experienced turbulence and crashed in a forest area. "The aircraft was full.

But I don''t know the number of passengers on board", he said, adding he heard a loud thud. There was a commotion after the aircraft caught fire and smoke engulfed it, he said, adding "I saw a broken passage in the aircraft and I jumped out of it".

He said he walked for about half a kilometre inside the rocky terrain and locals who saw him took him on a motorcycle for some distance, before rushing him to a hospital by an autorickshaw. 160 passengers, including four infants, and 6 crew were on board the ill-fated plane.

Farooq is among the eight surviving passengers.

Unquote

Flight's wing hit a hillock? That is a something new.

Last edited by MAS : 22nd May 2010 at 13:55.
Old 22nd May 2010, 13:56   #43
BHPian

What a tragedy. I have no words to write!
May God grant strength to the families those who lost their near and dear ones.
Old 22nd May 2010, 13:59   #44
BHPian

A very sad day indeed.. I hope God gives strength to the bereaved families. Most of the folks were returning from Gulf for vacation and their loved ones were anxiously waiting for them..
As per the accounts, it was clear weather, the ATC saw the plane touch the runway correctly but all hell broke loose after and seems a tire burst and plane overshot the runway, broke into pieces. The folks who were initially thrown out of the plane are the ones to survive and then a horrific blaze engulfed the plane.
I would request media to be restrained as well as stick to facts.. there are already channels talking about less training for the pilots and pilot error and foreign pilot etc.
Old 22nd May 2010, 14:19   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Flight's wing hit a hillock? That is a something new.
This is my local Airport, the one I have used the most. So it is kind of spine chilling to hear this news.

The airport is on a hill, with valley on most sides. Once the aircraft overshot the runway, it would be coming down the valley and may have hit the wing on to a hillock.

See this: http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.947...4&z=18&l=0&m=b

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks