Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2010, 14:30   #46
BHPian

Very very tragic incident, at 7am I saw a news flash in yahoo, since then I was infront of tv.. 7 escaped, sad day for Karnataka and India.
Old 22nd May 2010, 14:59   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Sad day.
Wikipedia says the runway (old one) is not a level one, "with the height varying from 90 m (300 ft) to 83 m (272 ft) from east to west. Landing on this short runway at this airport was considered difficult."

Tabletop runways offer zero margin for error, but then piloting is a zero-margin-for-error job. CNN-IBN says the pilot is not an Indian..
My friend - most runways have such gradients. This is no big issue or the pilot (who had 10,000 hours)

There was some pilot/nav error since the plane landed 600m ahead of the usual touch down point (i.e some barely 1.5-2km to go). Once that happens on a table top runway, things turn bad real fast.

Anyways, the fact is that 160 odd people have lost their lives - it is a sad day
Old 22nd May 2010, 15:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

Heard that the passengers were NOT informed about landing, and no warnings were given to put on seat belts. How could that happen?
One passenger who escaped by jumping through the gap is believed to have said this.
Old 22nd May 2010, 15:24   #49
Senior - BHPian

I cannot believe my eyes and ears. I am shocked. Used to watch Mangalore airport from air while travelling from Kochi to Delhi via Mumbai. I thought Indian air space was much safer than other parts of the world.

My heartly condolence to all family members who lost their loved ones. Let the injured get well soon and forget this tragic day in their life.
Old 22nd May 2010, 15:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

No clever. That is not entirely correct - while there was no sense of alarm - but there's no way passengers would not have their seatbelts on!

158 killed as Air India plane plunges down cliff at Mangalore - Yahoo! India News
Quote:
Some charred bodies still had the seat belts on.
There was no distress call from the pilot,
Old 22nd May 2010, 16:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Heard that the passengers were NOT informed about landing, and no warnings were given to put on seat belts. How could that happen?
Indian media at its worst? The plane landed as normal and then overshot the runway. Most probably died because of the plane breaking up and catching fire.

As I said before, this has happened once before on the old runway, during the 1980's. If my memory serves me right,during that accident, the plane got lodged between 2 boulders (probably at low speed) which prevented it from falling down the ravine and breaking up. Nobody died or was seriously injured. From the approach road opposite the hill, We could see the plane stuck at the edge for months together before they removed it.
Old 22nd May 2010, 16:27   #52
Senior - BHPian

Just now I was watching NDTV profit and they were showing an AIR India Boeing 747 landing somewhere, and then another footage of some plane going into the trees and exploding. They were saying - "this is the actual landing video of the crashed plane at Mangalore airport."

747 can be easily identified because of the presence of the smaller upper deck. But still they have the guts to show that video and claim that it is the actual footage of Mangalore crash!

In one of the Malayalam channels (India vision) they were telling that the plane crashed 10 Kms away from the airport!!

Indian Media!!

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd May 2010 at 16:33.
Old 22nd May 2010, 16:35   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Indian Media!!
Read an apt quote on twitter "The Idiot Box believes it has more information on the crash than the Black Box"
Old 22nd May 2010, 16:41   #54
BHPian

A very bad day. No words, please see the attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MANGLORE CRASH.pdf (337.8 KB, 952 views)
Old 22nd May 2010, 17:27   #55
BHPian

very tragic crash, I feel so bad about the new borns who were on board.
The stupid airline ruined so many families, they should be ashamed of this.

Since so many months we've been reading about poor aviation conditions in India and no doubt the Cost-cutting factor has become the life-cutting Factor.

Also no warning lights, and it over-run was the 10k experience holder pilot was sleeping or not as alert as he should have been.

Pity we'll have another committee to with all stupid un-professional comments and then months later it would be in cold bags.

God give courage and bless the family of the people who lost their life.
My hearty condolence to all family members affected by this.

found this CVR example on youtube.
one can hear so many alerts, certainly looks pilot fault

http://www.youtube.com/v/9hZ-XkaQW2U..._US&fs=1&rel=0

Last edited by ghpk : 22nd May 2010 at 17:42.
Old 22nd May 2010, 17:39   #56
Senior - BHPian

Guys this is of course a sad news, may their soul rest in peace.

But not sure if its a good idea to be starting a thread for every big breaking news that is happening. It doesnt add any value.
I do understand what has happened is a terrible thing but one news and all saying R.I.P is of no value add to anyone.
Old 22nd May 2010, 17:50   #57
Senior - BHPian

Very sad news. May the soul RIP. Watching TV since morning once a while for latest updates.

About mangalore airport new run way is much better and safe one compared to old one. I don't understand at first point why they developed airport in such a congested area. First time when I landed there I got excited because i felt like I am landing on hill!!

In one of the TV channel they mentioned plane came over speed so control room advised them to take off instead of landing by trying this it overhsoot runway and fell into valley 1km from new runway. Once actual official report comes we cant keep guessing. As per my analysis it is Pilot error in last moment or tyre burst! Pilots had taken off from same run way on 17th may and this was their first landing on new runway.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 22nd May 2010, 18:25   #58
BHPian

Faulty airport design ??

Concerns regarding the design of the new runway had been raised thru PILs!

Please see attachment- Press release of ESG,Bangalore for details.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Press_Release_Mangalore_Air_Crash_ESG_220510.pdf (178.5 KB, 317 views)
Old 22nd May 2010, 18:36   #59
Senior - BHPian

Shuxx...its really sad!Anyone who has flown to mangalore will accept that its a very scary experience when the aircraft taxies to take off...the earlier runway was a shorter one and I always used to worry if the plane would slam into the hillock when trying to land ...Also ...there is no scope for aborting a take off !!

If someone overshoots the runway ...then he is a goner ...so landings have to be really perfect here ...

About this survivor speaking the plane landing with a thud ...AI planes usually fall onto the runway and never land...and yeah ...no point in blaming the pilot ....he was someone who has over 10 k hours of flying !!

One report suggests the wing hit a tree!!!...now unless the aircraft veered from its path ...what is a tree doing close to a runway !!!

Last edited by speedsatya : 22nd May 2010 at 18:40.
Old 22nd May 2010, 19:16   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
AI planes usually fall onto the runway and never land...
Can you explain more on this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks