Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2010, 09:11   #91
Senior - BHPian

Have they found the Black Box?

NDTV says yes, but Times Now says no. This confusion is from yesterday.
Old 24th May 2010, 10:45   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Have they found the Black Box?
NDTV says yes, but Times Now says no. This confusion is from yesterday.
In a Malayalam daily, there was the news that black box has been found and then there was a picture of a person walking with a 'black' box near the crashed plane Funy thing was that there was another smaller title in the same page which says black box is actually bright orange in color, which is true.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:35   #93
Senior - BHPian

Really Tragic

This incident is really tragic.

More so because a colleague in my office has just lost his close friend, who unfortunately was on this ill fated flight from Dubai.

Incidentally, he was coming home for his marriage which was scheduled on 3rd June.

May all the souls R.I.P.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:42   #94
BANNED

Ona cannot but feel sorry for the victims and pray for their families to find peace.

However, I cannot claim to be an expert, but can say that I have been through Mangalore Airport at least 25 times since 1997 and have found it quite acceptable. Only when you land / takeoff from the sea side the transition from void to tarmac and vice versa is a bit disconcerting. Even the older (and shorter) runway was not that bad. Only the surface is pretty rough. So a lot of media hype appears to be just that. I am sure Samurai can add to the views living in that area.

Last edited by sgiitk : 24th May 2010 at 11:43.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:02   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
...Funy thing was that there was another smaller title in the same page which says black box is actually bright orange in color, which is true.
Yes, the "black box" is indeed bright orange in color. Not sure why it is called "black box" though!
Old 24th May 2010, 12:08   #96
c10
BHPian

May all the souls RIP..
Old 24th May 2010, 12:09   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Yes, the "black box" is indeed bright orange in color. Not sure why it is called "black box" though!
Possibly because the black box is accessed only in sorrowful conditions - after a crash.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:27   #98
BHPian

most of the TV channels confirmed that the black box, flight data recorder and cockpit voice recorder are found.

The worst thing according to me was the interim compensation announcement - Air India MD say - 10 Lac as of now, and after settlement with insurance company the rest + or - will be adjusted with this amount. Now are they going to take away any amount from 10L if insurance company says so?
Old 24th May 2010, 18:49   #99
Senior - BHPian

It would have probably safer to land the plane using ILS rather than the pilots judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
- Table top or not - other airports have roads/dense city sections just beyond the perimeter. Any aircraft overshooting those runways has no chance in hell either.!
Unfortunately yes, but it should'nt be that way. Perhaps a large body of water after the runway is the best. Worst one I've seen is Chicago's midway airport. You can see inside people's houses from the plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Only when you land / takeoff from the sea side the transition from void to tarmac and vice versa is a bit disconcerting.
Old 25th May 2010, 10:17   #100
Senior - BHPian

Just saw Breaking News that the Black Box has been found.

The black box as seen in tv appears to be black and not orange. May be its burnt, hence black.

Last edited by arun1100 : 25th May 2010 at 10:20.
Old 25th May 2010, 10:52   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Unfortunately yes, but it should'nt be that way. Perhaps a large body of water after the runway is the best. Worst one I've seen is Chicago's midway airport. You can see inside people's houses from the plane.
OT:
Sand filled pit is one of the suggested ways to stop aircraft that overshoots. Water is also suggested but in case of emergency, the rescue trucks would reach the aircraft faster in case of sand filled pit.
Old 25th May 2010, 12:29   #102
Senior - BHPian

Fuel = fire

One question no one has asked is how much fuel was the plane carrying. The extent of fire shows that there was a lot of fuel on board.

The normal and prudent practice is to fill as much fuel is necessary for the flight to be undertaken (plus an appropriate overage). Air India is known to fill their tanks in the Middle East as fuel is cheaper there. The ill fated plane was perhaps carrying excess fuel. This might not have caused the crash but it fuelled the fire.
Old 25th May 2010, 12:42   #103
Senior - BHPian

The black box is named so because it contains all encrypted codes and data.

Its colored with deep orange because it makes it easy to locate it.

I am very curious to know the outcome of this black box data. Some claims both Pilots was in fatique and they dont want to fly this flight, which is denied by AirIndia.

Air India claims it "may" be pilots / human error.

Time to stop reading all the daily news I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
One question no one has asked is how much fuel was the plane carrying. The extent of fire shows that there was a lot of fuel on board.

The normal and prudent practice is to fill as much fuel is necessary for the flight to be undertaken (plus an appropriate overage). Air India is known to fill their tanks in the Middle East as fuel is cheaper there. The ill fated plane was perhaps carrying excess fuel. This might not have caused the crash but it fuelled the fire.
No, Any plane landing will obviously will have excess fuel. This is indeed needed for emergency. I think there are guidelines on how much the air lines can fill fuel and it has to be "certified" by pilots before taking the flight. So, I dont think AI does it like this everytime.

Last edited by mjothi : 25th May 2010 at 12:44.
Old 25th May 2010, 12:43   #104
Senior - BHPian

It is common practice for aircraft and ships to pick up extra fuel wherever it is cheaper. This will give them the flexibility to exit a place where fuel prices are high, if the next destination offers cheaper fuel. This is not necessarily unsafe by itself.
Old 25th May 2010, 13:04   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
One question no one has asked is how much fuel was the plane carrying.
IFAIK, amount of fuel in a plane depends on variety of factors:
1) If the plane flies from A to B, then the general norm is to carry fuel required from A to (B + C), where C is the nearest airport of B. This is to ensure if the plane can't land in B, then it can safely make a journey to C.
2) It also depends on passenger & cargo weight. Since the aim is to reduce weight as much as possible, more people or cargo means carrying less fuel.

The airplane which crashed in Bajpe might be carrying fuel upto Bangalore (nearest International airport). Since the plane was full, it might be carrying minimum required fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
The black box is named so because it contains all encrypted codes and data
Picture of black box recovered in Bajpe:
Air India Express Flight IX812 from Dubai crashes at Mangalore airport - Over 160 Dead-5971776.cms.jpg

Last edited by msdivy : 25th May 2010 at 13:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks