Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2005, 13:19   #166
BHPian

block it for new bies?

Height of superiority complex. Remember once you too a new bie. And you'll be in some other areas. Once you a got a previlage don't try to block it for oters.
Old 9th November 2005, 13:51   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkothan
block it for new bies?

Height of superiority complex. Remember once you too a new bie. And you'll be in some other areas. Once you a got a previlage don't try to block it for oters.

it was just a suggestion.why are u trying to give it a dirfferent twist.

i said that newbie's may not like it,and it was not considered seriously since it is not a very nice solution.

sorry if you are hurt,but dont make it a personal issue.
Old 9th November 2005, 14:36   #168
Team-BHP Support

How will search engines index our reviews if we hide them under images? Lots of members here came across Team-BHP while searching for car reviews, myself included.
Old 9th November 2005, 15:28   #169
Senior - BHPian

I agree. Indexing wotn work with this kinda security.
Old 9th November 2005, 16:02   #170
Senior - BHPian

Merve and all,

I am not flaming you, but IMHO, Team-BHP will have to shut its ops down within the next 3 months, if we move this idea (text-to-image)
into production tomorrow.
Old 9th November 2005, 16:23   #171
BHPian

The easiest thing to do is to disable Ctrl C as is done in many other websites.
HOW EASY IT IS I DONT KNOW.????

I am not into computers but this is what can be done i feel.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 9th November 2005 at 16:24.
Old 9th November 2005, 16:53   #172
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Merve,

Firstly, Thanks for suggestion and the efforts. However we do not see it as a viable proposition because :

1. It is a very labor intensive We have tried to automate most processes of Team-BHP so that we can focus on the important, and let the software take care of matters where our interference is not necessary.

2. If someone still does want to plagiarise, they will find a way across. There is only so much we can do about this matter but the support shown by all of you in this thread should dissuade future trouble makers.

3. We will NOT restrict any section to unregistered guests. Team-BHPs information base is to benefit one and all.

GTO
Old 9th November 2005, 17:30   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
We will NOT restrict any section to unregistered guests. Team-BHPs information base is to benefit one and all.
This one of the usp's of this forum. If we place restrictions we are no better than Microsoft. Maybe we can have memeberships by invitation only.

Conan
Old 9th November 2005, 17:38   #174
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
We will NOT restrict any section to unregistered guests. Team-BHPs information base is to benefit one and all.
This is good thinking.

I don't intend to take focus away from the copying bit but as long as we know (or are assured) that the posts here are genuine (and credit given where it is due), copying from this forum really doesn't matter (IMHO).
Old 9th November 2005, 18:45   #175
BHPian

Eureka, eureka!

Hi fellow tbhpians,

This thread seems to invoke and envigourate my software muscles. Though a post from me comes after quiet a while, I have thus far remained a 'background' process on tbhp

Weighing all the pros and cons of feasible solutions, in my opinion, the most cost-effective (zero) and maintenance-free solution to prevent unauthorized reproduction of our reviews is to disable text selection.

Just as mentioned by 2fast4u, this solution will make sure that a user cannot select text on our Website. It will disable Ctrl + A, Ctrl + C, click-and-hold mouse selection, and right-click + Copy - thereby ensuring that text cannot copied by any standard means. However, if the user does a Print Screen and uses the image in an OCR software, he might be able to reproduce our content on another Web site.

This solution can be implemented by including a simple javascript in our PHP template.

Demo:
[HTML]
<html>
<body>
<script language="javascript1.2">
function disabletext(e){
return false
}
function reEnable(){
return true
}
//if the browser is IE4+
document.onselectstart=new Function ("return false")
//if the browser is NS6
if (window.sidebar){
document.onmousedown=disabletext
document.onclick=reEnable
}
</script>
You can't copy this!
</body>
</html>
[/HTML]
To view this demo:
1. Copy & paste this HTML code into Notepad.
2. Save the file with a .html extension. Remember to set 'Save as type' to 'All Files'
3. Open the saved file. It will open in IE/Mozilla/Netscape/Opera/Firefox depending on which is your default browser.
4. Try selecting text

The solution, courtesy: http://www.devdreams.com/tutorials/t/50

Cheers!
Old 9th November 2005, 19:04   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR
This thread seems to invoke and envigourate my software muscles. Though a post from me comes after quiet a while, I have thus far remained a 'background' process on tbhp
Even this can be easily defeated. Save the page from the File menu. Open it in notepad and delete the entire javascript block and save it. Now open file in the browser and it is a free country... I mean page.
Old 9th November 2005, 19:12   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Even this can be easily defeated. Save the page from the File menu. Open it in notepad and delete the entire javascript block and save it. Now open file in the browser and it is a free country... I mean page.
Or even simpler, just disable javascript option in browser for that page ;-)
Old 9th November 2005, 19:22   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Or even simpler, just disable javascript option in browser for that page ;-)
And the simplest just quote it.it will open in reply editor and then you can plainly cut paste.

a solution to this issue does not exist because the requirments on forums like ours are contradictory to each other.
Old 9th November 2005, 19:31   #179
Senior - BHPian

Duh! One would think that by now someone would've invented a Read-Only-Website which disables print, copy, paste, any form of editing or even quotes.

All you software brains get on the job and do some real work instead of reading all this...at least Merve here has tried to apply his mind to the problem.

Last edited by Steeroid : 9th November 2005 at 19:40.
Old 9th November 2005, 19:50   #180
Senior - BHPian

Instead of a client side scripting language such as Javascript, if the above code could be reproduced in server side language (ASP etc.) than i think a solution could have been found..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks